Is the new chief of staff in conflict of interest?

Topaz

The oppositions parties are saying the new chief of staff is in conflict of interst because he's only leaving his job not quitting and he and his comapny will benefit if/when the deal for the F-35 goes through. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/harpers-bay-street-pmo-chief-sparks-ethics-debate/article1742523/

Didn't you already post this..where the answer was how does a compnay or individual have a conflict with an order that has already been placed?

The oppositions parties are saying the new chief of staff is in conflict of interst because he's only leaving his job not quitting and he and his comapny will benefit if/when the deal for the F-35 goes through. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/harpers-bay-street-pmo-chief-sparks-ethics-debate/article1742523/

Personal interests should never be conflictural..it is human nature and actually normal to make sure personal issues and interests are always providing a service to the public servant..in other words - serve yourself. Who said that the Prime Minister actually every looked up his own title in the dictionary..which translated meanst "first servant" - as if lawyers are going to pay attention to langurage - there job is to warp and pervert language for their own benefit...Let them have all the wealth they want by robbing the public purse..after all who runs for office these days with the intention of actually being of service to those that elected you?

Is the new chief of staff in conflict of interest?

It's hard to say, and that's the real problem here. The means to ensure he isn't don't exist and I doubt the Conservatives are about to put those means in place.

This does not pass any olfactory test, unless of course you're a toadying little butt sniff in which case this probably smells like a bed of roses.

Look at ol Dick Cheney state side - he wage a war and was in conflict of interest..all he had to do was resign from Haliburton..which means nothing..all the people at Haliburton are still his friends and he can have them do HIM a finacial favour any time he desires the favour..once out of pubic office and returing to the private sector..you can be legally in a state of conflict and it is fine...In other words..resign your private post..then re-hire yourself at harvest time..Of course you can NOT keep your private job if you are a governmental offical...if that job and company are going to benefit from your government job...A contract should be signed by this new chief of staff that states - I have no more dealings with said company..and after I am finished my governmental tenure..I swear an oath I will not return to THAT area of the private sphere. But of coarse no one is going to do that because the love of money is always stronger than the love of justice.

Didn't you already post this..where the answer was how does a compnay or individual have a conflict with an order that has already been placed?

There isn't an official order as yet. This guy works for and has shares in a company that has shares in a numbers of OTHER companies and if one of the competitors were lobbying the government what chance would those companies have?

This guy works for and has shares in a company that has shares in a numbers of OTHER companies and if one of the competitors were lobbying the government what chance would those companies have?

Paul Martin owned Canada Steamship Lines, and all the while he was Prime Minister. I wonder. What chance did companies have competing with Canada Steamship Lines? Would you know by any chance?

He's working with the ethics commissioners, so far nothing untoward. Much ado about nothing and not the first time someone has taken a leave of absence to work with the government. It's all in the eye of the opposition of the time. LOL

Paul Martin owned Canada Steamship Lines, and all the while he was Prime Minister. I wonder. What chance did companies have competing with Canada Steamship Lines? Would you know by any chance?

Actually,I would...

And Algoma Central Marine and Upper Lakes Shipping did quite well during the reign of Mr. Dithers...

Look at ol Dick Cheney state side - he wage a war and was in conflict of interest..all he had to do was resign from Haliburton..which means nothing..all the people at Haliburton are still his friends and he can have them do HIM a finacial favour any time he desires the favour..once out of pubic office and returing to the private sector..you can be legally in a state of conflict and it is fine...In other words..resign your private post..then re-hire yourself at harvest time..Of course you can NOT keep your private job if you are a governmental offical...if that job and company are going to benefit from your government job...A contract should be signed by this new chief of staff that states - I have no more dealings with said company..and after I am finished my governmental tenure..I swear an oath I will not return to THAT area of the private sphere. But of coarse no one is going to do that because the love of money is always stronger than the love of justice.

An excellent idea Oleg but as you say, the crooks and cons would never agree to take or uphold such an oathe. Edited by Rick