What Obama Actually Said:

Guest American Woman

Guest American Woman

Then what race is a visible minority?

According to Statistics Canada:

Visible minority

Chinese

South Asian (e.g., East Indian, Pakistani, Punjabi, Sri Lankan)

Black (e.g., African, Haitian, Jamaican, Somali)

Arab/West Asian (e.g., Armenian, Egyptian, Iranian, Lebanese, Moroccan)

Filipino

South East Asian (e.g., Cambodian, Indonesian, Laotian, Vietnamese)

Latin American

Japanese

Korean

Non visible minority

Aboriginal

White

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I think AW has nailed this one quite well. The term "visible minority" is a very Canadian way of pretending not to consider race important while assuring that it remains most important in the context of the dominant "race". Otherwise the term "minority" alone would have sufficed, just as it did in American government, and later augmented by gender, sexual orientation, and disability.

Canada had/has serious problems with race, but like health care, Canadians are satisfied to think that is OK as long it is not as "bad" as the United States.

Then what race is a visible minority? How about a non-visible minority, what race is that?

No one is saying that race is unimportant or that there haven't been racial issues in Canada, but I am saying that race simply has a much different connotation in Canada than it does in the US. It is much less important in Canada and our racial issues do not occupy the foreground as they do in the US.

According to Statistics Canada:

Visible minority

Chinese

South Asian (e.g., East Indian, Pakistani, Punjabi, Sri Lankan)

Black (e.g., African, Haitian, Jamaican, Somali)

Arab/West Asian (e.g., Armenian, Egyptian, Iranian, Lebanese, Moroccan)

Filipino

South East Asian (e.g., Cambodian, Indonesian, Laotian, Vietnamese)

Latin American

Japanese

Korean

Non visible minority

Aboriginal

White

Now you are getting it! So when I say we need to hire a visible minority, what race am I talking about?

Guest American Woman

Now you are getting it! So when I say we need to hire a visible minority, what race am I talking about?

Any race other than Aboriginal or white. :blink:

I fail to see how you can insist that that's a different connotation than in the States; or how it's not based on race.

Edited by American Woman

Then what race is a visible minority? How about a non-visible minority, what race is that?

AW has responded with the exact definition....I can do no better.

No one is saying that race is unimportant or that there haven't been racial issues in Canada, but I am saying that race simply has a much different connotation in Canada than it does in the US. It is much less important in Canada and our racial issues do not occupy the foreground as they do in the US.

Canada's issues with race do occupy the forground, you just choose to call it something else. I recall a huge fuss over the "race" of the perp who stabbed an American sailor in Halifax a few years ago...it was as if the white "majority" wanted to distance themselves from another violent "visible minority".

Edited by bush_cheney2004

AW has responded with the exact definition....I can do no better.

Canada's issues with race do occupy the forground, you just choose to call it something else. I recall a huge fuss over the "race" of the perp who stabbed an American sailor in Halifax a few years ago...it was as if the white "majority" wanted to distance themselves from another violent "visible minority".

Canada's issues with race do occupy the forground, you just choose to call it something else.

Ahhhhhh.... no :unsure:

That would be extremely relevant... if this thread was about whether or not racism or racial slurs exist in Canada. But it isnt...

Somebody posted that race was not as relevant in Canada....apparently it is very relevant to some Canadians.

Any race other than Aboriginal or white. :blink:

I fail to see how you can insist that that's a different connotation than in the States; or how it's not based on race.

Really? Then what colour of skin does the any-race-except have? What about their eyes? Are they allowed to have white skin, but a different eye shape? Can they be naturally blonde or red-haired and green eyed in this any-race-except? Who will know?

What is the difference in connotation of race between Canada and the US? Here is an example:

Mass racial violence in the United States

How about this comparative list of race riots. Hey, its wiki I know, but Canada has three in its list, the US a fair number of more. The latest was in 1933 between two gangs - one Anglo, the other Jewish and Italian. The last entry in the US list is 2010 during the "Modern" period between Latinos and African Americans.

That is what I mean about "connotation." Sure Canada has employment equity terms for people to designate themselves, but that is a far cry from the foregrounded sensitivities over "race" in the US public, media or government.

Now if you want to refer to some comparative data with respect to Canada and this racial sensitivity as displayed in the US, please do so. But I don't think you can make such a comparison. It is not so much that the media didn't report it, that people are trying to hide something, they are fooling themselves, it's just that it doesn't exist to the same degree as in the US. Note even close.

Race is very much in the background here and when it comes to the fore, it usually doesn't remain there long in any meaningful way.

Here is a story about the Montreal riots with the "visible-minorities" and some "non visible-minorities" battling it out with the police. Note in the story that this was contrasted with another riot when Montreal Canadians fans rioted after a quater-final playoff victory over the Boston Bruins. I mean, beer and hockey: they rioted over a quarter-final series win.

Edited by Shwa

Here is an example of a typical Canadian race-baiting participation, just like in the USA, from which Canada seems to import many ready made slurs and attitudes:

http://www.newnation.vg/forums/showthread.php?p=294771

The dead American sailor has been dubbed and "Americoon" instead.

....sure...:race is not a big deal in Canada. Anybody seen Lictor?

Here is an example of a typical Canadian race-baiting site, just like in the USA, from which Canada seems to import many ready made slurs and attitudes:

http://www.newnation.vg/forums/showthread.php?p=294771

The dead American sailor has been dubbed and "Americoon" instead.

....sure...:race is not a big deal in Canada. Anybody seen Lictor?

That's it? That's all you got? You are guilty of trying to equate a drop of water to a full glass. Sorry, that just won't do.

Anyone seen Oscar Grant?

That's it? That's all you got? You are guilty of trying to equate a drop of water to a full glass. Sorry, that just won't do.

Anyone seen Oscar Grant?

...or Oscar Peterson....Canada's favorite token "Negro" and example of social paradise?

Remind me not to go driving while black (DWB) in Quebec City.

...or Oscar Peterson....Canada's favorite token "Negro" and example of social paradise?

Really BC? Oscar Peterson now? Man, race really does matter a whole lot to you doesn't it? Thanks for proving my point.

Guest American Woman
....sure...:race is not a big deal in Canada.

Nope. Not a big deal at all. That's why hate crimes based on race aren't an issue in Canada.

Oops. Evidently they are: Report: Hate crimes on rise in Canada

Hate crimes in Canada increased 35 percent in one year, with more than half of them motivated by race or ethnicity, government figures show.

And this is rather interesting, from: Canadian Centre for Justice Statistics

The scope and nature of hate crime in Canada are issues that policy makers, government researchers, academics and non-governmental organizations have been trying to understand for a number of years. Although a wealth of research and data exists in the United States, it has only recently become an issue of public concern in Canada. A paucity of data on hate crime exists in Canada and future policy and legislative directions will rely heavily on such information.

Edited by American Woman

Guest American Woman

It's interesting how you keep taking everything and twisting it. Race is an issue, sure, but it's much less and issue than in the United States. I would say the same thing of most of Europe.

I posted direct quotes. But yet I'm "twisting things" because it contradicts what you are saying. Here's a hint: just because you're saying something, doesn't make it true. And just because I'm saying something different from you, doesn't mean I'm "twisting everything."

Again. I posted direct quotes, ie: facts, "twisting" nothing.

I repeat: "... it has only recently become an issue of public concern in Canada. A paucity of data on hate crime exists in Canada and future policy and legislative directions will rely heavily on such information."

"Future policy and legislative directions will rely heavily on such information," but yeah, it's much less an issue than in the United States. In fact, its hardly an issue at all. B)

It's interesting how you keep taking everything and twisting it. Race is an issue, sure, but it's much less and issue than in the United States. I would say the same thing of most of Europe.

They dont really have anywhere else to go... someone made an absurd statement about race being a fault line in Canada to the same extent as it is in the US, and now people are attempting to defend it by simply arguing that some racial issues DO exist in Canada (which nobody ever denined in the first place).

Its the classic bait and switch.

Its the classic bait and switch.

That's exactly what it is. August was partly right. Canada is divided along regional and linguistic lines. He put religion in the wrong category though. The US is more divided along religious and racial lines. Now, that doesn't mean that race and religion are never issues in Canada, and it doesn't mean that language and regionalism aren't issues in the US. It's simply that those issues are smaller in the respective countries.