Mosque going up in NYC building

Guest American Woman

So what? So you only want to count people who live in New York City that agree with your point of view? As if somebody who lives in the city, but not right at Ground Zero, doesn't count as a New Yorker. :rolleyes:

Pathetic. :rolleyes:

Who gives a fuck what people there think? They dont own the land. The person that owns the land can use it for any legal purposes he wants, and everyone else gets to go fuck themselves.

Since when is private property use a democratic decision?

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So your support for Mr Muhammed's child molestation stems from what? Relativism again? Atheists support child sex? You're not making sense. Why support a cult/religion that has as its model a violent war-like child molester? Why give them even a moment of our time? Because there's a billion or so that think it's OK?

Why support a cult/religion that has as its model a violent war-like child molester?

Abrahamic religions (judaism, islam, christianity) all worship the same god... and hes a violent psychopathic piece of shit.

Abrahamic religions (judaism, islam, christianity) all worship the same god... and hes a violent psychopathic piece of shit.

There's a difference... while the "god" in question may be considered to be the same (non-existant) entity, the human individuals who exemplified and embodied the faith are different. Muslims idealize Mohamed, who committed many acts of violence and other bad things. Christians idealize Jesus, some of whose ideas I may happen to disagree with, but who didn't do anything much worse than walking around and talking to people (far as I know). And Jews don't really idealize any specific individual but have multiple important "prophets".

If Mohammed was truly the great prophet, and heard the words of God, then how could his acts in life be considered bad? What he did, he must have done because God considered it right. I mean, if you are a true believer in Islam, that's the train of thought you may well have. Now, if Mohammed happened to marry a 6 year old girl... well, God must not have considered that a bad thing for Mohammed to do. If he went and conquered a bunch of towns, that must not have been a bad thing to do either.

You're right though, the god as depicted in "holy writings" is a not a nice man by modern standards.

There's a difference... while the "god" in question may be considered to be the same (non-existant) entity, the human individuals who exemplified and embodied the faith are different. Muslims idealize Mohamed, who committed many acts of violence and other bad things. Christians idealize Jesus, some of whose ideas I may happen to disagree with, but who didn't do anything much worse than walking around and talking to people (far as I know). And Jews don't really idealize any specific individual but have multiple important "prophets".

If Mohammed was truly the great prophet, and heard the words of God, then how could his acts in life be considered bad? What he did, he must have done because God considered it right. I mean, if you are a true believer in Islam, that's the train of thought you may well have. Now, if Mohammed happened to marry a 6 year old girl... well, God must not have considered that a bad thing for Mohammed to do. If he went and conquered a bunch of towns, that must not have been a bad thing to do either.

You're right though, the god as depicted in "holy writings" is a not a nice man by modern standards.

Christians idealize Jesus, some of whose ideas I may happen to disagree with, but who didn't do anything much worse than walking around and talking to people (far as I know).

He attacked merchants with a whip for no damn reason. That would get you or me branded "violent" :D. He also attacked trees, pigs, and at least one old person.

But I think its irrelevant what the books say. People will find justification in these books to do the things that people do. Atheists, Muslims, Christians all have a whole lot of blood on their hands.

I dont think people with any of these beliefs are necessarily evil or more inately prone to violence than another. I just think theyre basically dopey sheep that can be lead to do pretty much whatever by their "leaders". If a leader of EITHER the Jesus or Mohammed cult wants to lead people to violence and war OR to peace, then they find support for it in their respective texts, and in the words of their respective prophets.

Guest TrueMetis

Just yesterday I was watching a video of an Imam in a mosque in England explaining that marrying a six year old is fine because that's how Muhammad did it, and the Prophet is their model.

-k

Creepy. Fortunately we have laws against that crap.

Who gives a fuck what people there think?

Because, it goes against the claim that this mosque is about building bridges, etc. It's a crock of shit. And everyone knows it.

Since when is private property use a democratic decision?

It's not. Nobody has said that they don't have a right to build where they buy. But just because they can, doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. And it doesn't mean people have to shut up about it. Example, Wal-Mart has been protested and prevented from building several times in many different cities in America. Not to mention that zoning laws prevent people from using their land for their intended purposes all the time.

Because, it goes against the claim that this mosque is about building bridges, etc. It's a crock of shit. And everyone knows it.

Man, I still want it to be called The Rough Trade Center. The gay par proposal was not genuine and was not meant to build any bridges (regardless of me not having an issue with it). It was proposed simply out of spite for the mosque that will be built. It was meant to be provocative in ways I do not believe the Cordoba house was meant to be provocative.

It's not. Nobody has said that they don't have a right to build where they buy. But just because they can, doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. And it doesn't mean people have to shut up about it. Example, Wal-Mart has been protested and prevented from building several times in many different cities in America. Not to mention that zoning laws prevent people from using their land for their intended purposes all the time.

Wal-mart has horrible business practices which have been proven to really hurt localized economies. And there is a way to put in a request to have an area re-zoned, it happens quite often.

It was meant to be provocative in ways I do not believe the Cordoba house was meant to be provocative.

Oh com'on. "Cordoba House"? It's like building an "Christian Outreach Centre" in Saudi Arabia (impossible I might add) and naming it: "The Vladimir III Community Cohesion Building".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vlad_III_the_Impaler

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Andalus

Wal-mart has horrible business practices which have been proven to really hurt localized economies.

How do they have horrible business practices? Anyhow, so you agree right? That other people have been prevented from building in certain areas by popular sentiment.

And one could say that mosques have had some pretty bad practices themselves. :rolleyes:

How do they have horrible business practices?

I beleive there was a couple threads on just that subject here on MLW

Anyhow, so you agree right? That other people have been prevented from building in certain areas by popular sentiment.

Sure by popular sentiment. Which may not always be the correct sentiment.

And one could say that mosques have had some pretty bad practices themselves. :rolleyes:

I'd throw in the whole towel and say all religions have bad practices.

Guest American Woman
immy, on 12 August 2010 - 08:52 PM, said: Just yesterday I was watching a video of an Imam in a mosque in England explaining that marrying a six year old is fine because that's how Muhammad did it, and the Prophet is their model.

Creepy. Fortunately we have laws against that crap.

And we'd like to keep it that way, which is sort of the point. <_<

Guest American Woman

Oh the banality.

None of the above issues are specific to the question of the mosque placed on ground zero, so I can only assume the people posting them oppose all mosques, everywhere and all muslims in general.

By all means keep assuming that. It would take so much more effort/intelligence to actually listen to what people are saying/thinking. :)

I don't think you will have to worry about that anytime in our lifetimes. A mosque can be built and won't threaten the American lifestyle one bit.

You know...if the other side of the coin felt the way you do, I'd be inclined to agree with you. The very fact that Islam does not like the concept of plurality makes it somewhat of a threat to any other belief system...especially in light of the violent aspects of the religion.

Edited by DogOnPorch

Guest TrueMetis

And we'd like to keep it that way, which is sort of the point. <_<

Unless you've got quotes of this guy wanting the law changed so that people can marry six year old this is a rather useless post. Though even if he was what does it matter? NAMBLA has been advocating for stuff like this for years, no ones shut them done.

I beleive there was a couple threads on just that subject here on MLW

I've read some opinions. But nothing very "horrible."

Sure by popular sentiment. Which may not always be the correct sentiment.

Maybe not. But there is no such thing as a Sentiment Sherrif. And the fact is, people have a right to protest, and people have a right to express their dissatisfaction. Perhaps those that support the mosque should also recognize those rights too.

I'd throw in the whole towel and say all religions have bad practices.

Oh, I know. The tired old mantra of "all religions are equally bad." Except that isn't reality.

Anyways, just like Wal-Mart's had to accept the sensibilities of the communities they want to build in, and sometimes change plans. This mosque may have to do the same thing.

None of the above issues are specific to the question of the mosque placed on ground zero, so I can only assume the people posting them oppose all mosques, everywhere and all muslims in general.

The "if you don't support this mosque, you must be against all mosques in NYC" card has already been played several days ago, by many posters, most recently by GostHacked. In response, I can only assume, that if you support this mosque, you support Osama Bin Laden and Al Qaeda.

I often find the best way to illustrate absurdity, is by being absurd. :)