Mosque going up in NYC building

Guest American Woman

I am all for a mosque near the Ground Zero site.

I am also all for a Catholic Church and/or a Jewish Synagogue built in Mecca.

Anyone tell me why this would be different?

oh. oh. here is one of many differences:

- ground zero does not represent christianity, whereas mecca is a muslim holy city

no wait, let me do another one:

- there is no christian population in mecca, whereas in NYC, there is a large muslim population.

can you tell me how they are not different?

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the mosque controversy was the creation of pamela gellar. a hideous racist blogger who;

wages a form of holy war through Atlas Shrugs, a Web site that attacks Islam with a rhetoric venomous enough that PayPal at one point branded it a hate site. Working here — often in fuzzy slippers — she has called for the removal of the Dome of the Rock from atop the Temple Mount in Jerusalem; posted doctored pictures of Elena Kagan, the Supreme Court justice, in a Nazi helmet; suggested the State Department was run by “Islamic supremacists”; and referred to health care reform as an act of national rape.

Ms. Geller has been writing since 2005, but this summer she skyrocketed to national prominence as the firebrand in chief opposing Park51, the planned Muslim community center she denounces as “the ground zero mega-mosque.”

if it wasn't for gellar, the building which was already being used for praying since 2009 would have received no attention. lucky for gellar, she can always count on mouthpieces who magnify her bigoted crusade against muslims and create a controversy out of nothing.

Guest American Woman

the mosque controversy was the creation of pamela gellar. a hideous racist blogger who;

[...]

if it wasn't for gellar, the building which was already being used for praying since 2009 would have received no attention. lucky for gellar, she can always count on mouthpieces who magnify her bigoted crusade against muslims and create a controversy out of nothing.

Actually, you give her way too much credit ... but that's already been said.

What I find so typical is that you think it's bigoted to not support a mosque in a 15 story building being built on land available only because it was damaged on 9-11 by Islamic terrorists - while you smugly point out that there is no Christian population in Mecca. Again. WHY IS THAT? :rolleyes:

Actually, you give her way too much credit ... but that's already been said.

What I find so typical is that you think it's bigoted to not support a mosque in a 15 story building being built on land available only because it was damaged on 9-11 by Islamic terrorists - while you smugly point out that there is no Christian population in Mecca. Again. WHY IS THAT? :rolleyes:

because saudi arabia, despite some gains, still has a backwards culture that is unwelcoming to others with a different religious background.

that said, it's bigoted and downright ignorant to blame the 911 attack on islam and muslims. being against the building of the mosque is a sign that you hold islam and muslims responsible for the 911 attacks when a mass majority of muslims, who come from different background, would never condone such an attack.

What no one has addressed here is the penchant of Muslims to descrecrate places of religious or historical importance of others. This project is on a par with building the Al Aksa Mosque on the Temple Mount.

What no one has addressed here is the penchant of Muslims to descrecrate places of religious or historical importance of others.

I believe that was dealt with extensively in pages 37-42, 72-78, as well as 122-134. Not to mention the numerous times you've brought it up yourself. I think we can all agree that religious people are rarely saints.

oh. oh. here is one of many differences:

- ground zero does not represent christianity, whereas mecca is a muslim holy city

no wait, let me do another one:

- there is no christian population in mecca, whereas in NYC, there is a large muslim population.

can you tell me how they are not different?

Ground zero is in a country that was born based on Judeo-Christian values, while Mecca is the center of a 'religion' that supports and glorifies honor killings, stonings, beheadings and intolerance.

There is no Christian population in Mecca because Islam is so paranoid that, in typical fashion, has no courage or guts to tolerate it.

Too bad the Western world tolerates Islam. Even more too bad that people like you glorify it.

Ground zero is in a country that was born based on Judeo-Christian values, while Mecca is the center of a 'religion' that supports and glorifies honor killings, stonings, beheadings and intolerance.

There is no Christian population in Mecca because Islam is so paranoid that, in typical fashion, has no courage or guts to tolerate it.

Too bad the Western world tolerates Islam. Even more too bad that people like you glorify it.

Religious freedom is a strong cornerstone in this nation. Would you prefer that Canada or the US become "Christian states" in the same sense of an Islamic state? No thanks. It would be little different than living under the Taliban.

Edited by scouterjim

Guest American Woman

because saudi arabia, despite some gains, still has a backwards culture that is unwelcoming to others with a different religious background.

So why did you bring it up in the context you did?

that said, it's bigoted and downright ignorant to blame the 911 attack on islam and muslims.

I said "Islamic terrorists." Been covered - ad nauseum - moving on .......

Edited by American Woman

Religious freedom is a strong cornerstone in this nation. Would you prefer that Canada or the US become "Christian states" in the same sense of an Islamic state? No thanks. It would be little different than living under the Taliban.

Historically, the West has been fending-off Islam since the 7th century. Only recently has liberal thinking opened the door to my culture's age-old enemy allowing values counter to mine to gain equal footing in my society.

What no one has addressed here is the penchant of Muslims to descrecrate places of religious or historical importance of others.

Because it's not particularly relevant.

This project is on a par with building the Al Aksa Mosque on the Temple Mount.

Sure, if "on par" actually meant "completely different from."

Historically, the West has been fending-off Islam since the 7th century. Only recently has liberal thinking opened the door to my culture's age-old enemy allowing values counter to mine to gain equal footing in my society.

Which "enemy values", exactly? Do tell.

Relevance?

Women's rights are not important to you, I understand. But, to women (and some guys like myself), their rights are VERY important and any muddying of the waters should be viewed as a threat to these rights. That Islam segragates males from females in a supposedly free society, doesn't bode well for any society where it gets to pull the levers. History and reality certainly show this fact off to the fullest in countries where Islam rules.

Edited by DogOnPorch

Catholic church does more or less the same thing. Eg. nuns, vs. priests. No women are allowed to be priests. Why is this disparity tolerated? I guess most people feel, it's their religion, it's their business. No harm done in them wanting to keep it separate.

My own view is not that men and women are EQUAL, but that they have equal rights. Some men, and some women would disagree and have their reasons for wanting separation, and for wearing a veil.

In my country they ought to be allowed to believe that and practice their religion. If she doesn't want to she should have the right to leave it.

"... And when she tries, they cut her head off!!!"

In my country, we would never allow it. As long as they practice their religion and everyone MINDS THEIR OWN BUSINESS, there won't be a problem.

Why not answer the relevance part. My answer was I dont know, but so what if segregated inside a Mosque, really who would care and why?

Repeat:

Women's rights are not important to you, I understand. But, to women (and some guys like myself), their rights are VERY important and any muddying of the waters should be viewed as a threat to these rights. That Islam segragates males from females in a supposedly free society, doesn't bode well for any society where it gets to pull the levers. History and reality certainly show this fact off to the fullest in countries where Islam rules.

Catholic church does more or less the same thing. Eg. nuns, vs. priests. No women are allowed to be priests. Why is this disparity tolerated? I guess most people feel, it's their religion, it's their business. No harm done in them wanting to keep it separate.

My own view is not that men and women are EQUAL, but that they have equal rights. Some men, and some women would disagree and have their reasons for wanting separation, and for wearing a veil.

In my country they ought to be allowed to believe that and practice their religion. If she doesn't want to she should have the right to leave it.

"... And when she tries, they cut her head off!!!"

In my country, we would never allow it. As long as they practice their religion and everyone MINDS THEIR OWN BUSINESS, there won't be a problem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostasy_in_Islam

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honor_killing