Who do you want the next president to be?

The Tea Party is Romney's strong suit? Uh, no.

I disagree. I think Romney could get a lot of Tea Party support. As Governor, he managed balanced budgets each year he was in office. He didn't raise taxes, and he controlled spending.

I like Ventura, he's an honest guy which is refreshing in politics, and he talks a lot of sense.

Is this the sense-talking person you want as the next President? :blink:

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree. I think Romney could get a lot of Tea Party support. As Governor, he managed balanced budgets each year he was in office. He didn't raise taxes, and he controlled spending.

What world are you living in? Romney in his first year as governor increased 55 fees such as fire arm licences and created 33 new fees, before he left the previous governor increased the capital gains tax which Romney never rolled back infact Romney signed a bill which enacted them(this made up half the deficit revenue Romney faced. He increased the gas tax by two cents a gallon (however he masked this by increasing it on the delivery not the distribution end). He created something you hate a (New Markets Tax Credit) encouraging invested in the poor something which you often blame Bill Clinton for and that started the mortgage crash.

In 2005, Romney signed legislation allowing local commercial property taxes to be raised. The state and local tax burden in Massachusetts increased from 10 percent to 10.6 percent of per capita income during Romney's governorship, according to analysis by the Tax Foundation.

http://www.boston.com/news/politics/2008/specials/romney/articles/part6_main/?page=full

Yep he balanced the books alright and he did cut some spending however taxes WERE NOT cut during Romney's time they were raised. If you think this isn't going to come during and campaign you are crazy ever fact checker during the election cycle will paint as a liar if he makes that claim. It just isn't true. The books were balanced the only why you can making taxes fair and progressive, and cutting spending. Stop lying please.

Edited by punked

Guest American Woman

Just curious. Why would anyone outside the U.S. care other than regarding how it would affect Canada? Why would anyone presume to know what we "need?" We're not Canada, and as such, likely "need" someone different from who Canada would need.

Just curious. Why would anyone outside the U.S. care other than regarding how it would affect Canada? Why would anyone presume to know what we "need?" We're not Canada, and as such, likely "need" someone different from who Canada would need.

Watch out...this kind of question really pisses off some of the other members! But American interest in selecting the next Canadian PM is verboten!

Because US politics obviously affects the whole world.

Guest American Woman

Because US politics obviously affects the whole world.

I understand that. That's why I specified "other than regarding how it would affect Canada," because I'm not seeing that end of it discussed; I'm seeing it discussed only in regards to America/Americans and what we presumably "want" and "need."

Edited by American Woman

To the point that some Canadians take license to select it's next president?

To the point where Canadians are free to state their opinions on who they would like to see as the next US president. Just as the citizens of any free country are free to express their thoughts on topics of their choice. Many Americans certainly do not hesitate to state their opinions of the regimes in certain other countries.

Edited by Bonam

To the point where Canadians are free to state their opinions on who they would like to see as the next US president. Just as the citizens of any free country are free to express their thoughts on topics of their choice. Many Americans certainly do not hesitate to state their opinions of the regimes in certain other countries.

If we set a corporation up in the US we can even donate to who we wanted to.

Actually if you want you don't even need to do that. Many political campaigns accept online donations via paypal, which anyone can use.

That's true. And if a donation is under a certain dollar amount, most campaigns don't bother to vet them, because it's too time consuming.

But that wasn't AW's question....it asked for explanation of such opinion in the context of Canada's interests, not presumption about what is best for American citizens. It's a fair question.

But that wasn't AW's question....it asked for explanation of such opinion in the context of Canada's interests, not presumption about what is best for American citizens. It's a fair question.

I follow American politics very closely. I also have American relatives. So I have a decent base of knowledge to form my opinions around. Plus, it's my view that American citizens prefer pro-growth Presidents rather than the opposite.

I follow American politics very closely. I also have American relatives. So I have a decent base of knowledge to form my opinions around. Plus, it's my view that American citizens prefer pro-growth Presidents rather than the opposite.

Yet American citizens with the actual right to vote have selected both kinds of candidates. I am quite certain there would be little tolerance for Americans expressing views on the best candidates in Canada just because Uncle Felix lived in Hamilton, Ontario.

People can base their political opinions about whatever they want. Some Canadians may be interested in how American politics affects Canada. Some might be interested in how it affects, say, the middle east. And others might be interested in how it affects America itself.

If I was to have an opinion about who I'd want to be an American president, it would probably be heavily weighed around who would work to provide the most funding to NASA and other science and technology investments, since that would probably impact me quite a bit.

Everyone has their own interests, issues, and agendas.

Edited by Bonam

Yet American citizens with the actual right to vote have selected both kinds of candidates. I am quite certain there would be little tolerance for Americans expressing views on the best candidates in Canada just because Uncle Felix lived in Hamilton, Ontario.

Little tolerance from who? Americans are free to express their opinions about Canadian politics, and there's not much anyone could do about it. Of course, most Americans don't care very much about Canadian politics.

Guest American Woman

Actually, no you couldn't. However, you could certainly take out ads in newspapers or on television. But you couldn't directly donate.

Foreigners can't spend money indirectly, either.

Actually if you want you don't even need to do that. Many political campaigns accept online donations via paypal, which anyone can use.

I'm sure there must be restrictions and ways to enforce them.

Foreign nationals are prohibited from making any contributions or expenditures in connection with any election in the U.S.

The Federal Election Campaign Act (FECA) prohibits any foreign national from contributing, donating or spending funds in connection with any federal, state, or local election in the United States, either directly or indirectly. It is also unlawful to help foreign nationals violate that ban or to solicit, receive or accept contributions or donations from them. Persons who knowingly and willfully engage in these activities may be subject to fines and/or imprisonment.

Who is a Foreign National?

The following groups and individuals are considered "foreign nationals" and are, therefore, subject to the prohibition:

Foreign governments;

Foreign political parties;

Foreign corporations;

Foreign associations;

Foreign partnerships;

Individuals with foreign citizenship; and

Immigrants who do not have a "green card."

I admit that there's several people in this forum who have no problem sticking their noses in American politics, while at the same time being quite offended when Americans do the same to us. They tend to be of the left.

Guest American Woman

Nevertheless it is easily done by simply clicking the "paypal" button on many American political campaign sites.

As I said, I'm sure there are ways of blocking non US IPs and/or credit cards from participating/donating to such sites.

Edited by American Woman

Little tolerance from who? Americans are free to express their opinions about Canadian politics, and there's not much anyone could do about it. Of course, most Americans don't care very much about Canadian politics.

Then you agree that my expressions of opinion on all things Canadian are not only acceptable, but to be tolerated the same way as yours?

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Justice Steven's said for the ruling.

“This is a reversed a century of law that I believe will open the floodgates for special interests – including foreign corporations – to spend without limits in our elections. I don’t think American elections should be bankrolled by America’s most powerful interests, or worse, by foreign entities.”