Obama's census choice: simply African-American

We don't have to "try;" from all accounts, Obama struggled with his racial identity when he was growing up. It was a journey for him, which he writes about in "Dreams of My Father." As a community activist and politician, he self-identifies as African-American, so that's why he checked only one box.

Hope that helps you come to terms with his decision.

Actually, it does help. But isn't the census suppose to be about accuracy, and not about one's feelings? I understand that he self-identifies as an African-American, but what about actual facts?

Good lord, a birther?

Where?

Bingo.

Ah yes, the intellectual laziness of "if you question Obama you're racist." :rolleyes: He inaccurately fills out his census form, but I'm racist for pointing it out? I mean, it's a fact. He filled out his census form inaccurately. It's indisputable. I understand the possible reasons as AW pointed out. But it's still a fact.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah yes, the intellectual laziness of "if you question Obama you're racist." :rolleyes: He inaccurately fills out his census form, but I'm racist for pointing it out? I mean, it's a fact.

A completely irrelevant fact (which obviously isn't a fact to him) that you pointed out...for some reason. I'm really starting to wonder.

Guest American Woman

Actually, it does help. But isn't the census suppose to be about accuracy, and not about one's feelings? I understand that he self-identifies as an African-American, but what about actual facts?

The census says "Mark x one or more," for race, not "Mark x all that apply," or "You must mark x all that apply," but only specifies that one must be checked.

In regards to "accuracy," I'm not sure how important the "race" aspect of the census is. I'm guessing there are people of mixed race who may not even be aware of it, depending on how many generations it goes back. But no, his answer technically isn't accurate. From what I've read, there are some "mixed race" people who are perplexed and disappointed that he would not include himself in their numbers. Personally, I couldn't care less that he chose to identify himself only with the African-American half of his heritage, but not everyone feels that way:

Michelle Hughes, president of the Chicago Biracial Family Network, said she received several emails from surprised friends within moments of Obama's decision being made public.

"I think everybody is entitled to self-identify. If he chooses to self-identify as African-American, that's his right," she said. "That being said, I think that the multiracial community feels a sense of disappointment that he refuses to identify with us."

"I think his choice will have political, social and cultural ramifications," she added. link

Edited by American Woman

Facts are facts. They don't change depending on the individual. That's why they're facts. :blink:

Evidently, he sees himself as African-American, and not as a person of mixed race. Though it may be a fact that he is of mixed heritage, he doesn't seem to see himself, that way, and as far as he's concerned, he's African-American. It really isn't your concern.

Genetically, we are all borne to multiple ethnicities so technically there could be no "correct" answer. So the only accurate answer to a question about racially derived skin colour would come from looking at the yourself in the mirror. If Obama looked "white," the most technically accurate answer would be "white." I guess he figures he looks more black than white.

I think he's right.

But I think, if you want to be accurate, the census form says "negro" not "african american".

Edited by BubberMiley

The census says "Mark x one or more," for race, not "Mark x all that apply," or "You must mark x all that apply," but only specifies that one must be checked.

In regards to "accuracy," I'm not sure how important the "race" aspect of the census is. I'm guessing there are people of mixed race who may not even be aware of it, depending on how many generations it goes back. But no, his answer technically isn't accurate. From what I've read, there are some "mixed race" people who are perplexed and disappointed that he would not include himself in their numbers. Personally, I couldn't care less that he chose to identify himself only with the African-American half of his heritage, but not everyone feels that way

Yep. I just think it would be interesting to know why. Because he always speaks very highly of his mother and grandmother.

Evidently, he sees himself as African-American, and not as a person of mixed race. Though it may be a fact that he is of mixed heritage, he doesn't seem to see himself, that way, and as far as he's concerned, he's African-American. It really isn't your concern.

It's not my right to know. But it can definitely be my concern. I'd own his ass at a press conference! :lol:

*edit*

I think I'll save that question for the 2012 Presidential campaign. Ask him about it at a townhall meeting or something.

Edited by Shady

Guest American Woman

Genetically, we are all borne to multiple ethnicities so technically there could be no "correct" answer. So the only accurate answer to a question about racially derived skin colour would come from looking at the yourself in the mirror. If Obama looked "white," the most technically accurate answer would be "white." I guess he figures he looks more black than white.

I think the only accurate answer in Obama's case would be to mark both. He knows he is both, just as I know I am Swedish, German, and Norwegian, even if I look more one than the other.

I think he's right.

As far as looks go, yes, he's right. But he knows he's biracial, and the question isn't asking "which race do you most resemble?"

But I think, if you want to be accurate, the census form says "negro" not "african american".

The census form says: "Black, African Am., or Negro"

Says the person I've owned the most! :lol:

Still can't find a citation that backs up your lies on the Catholic church thread, eh? I understand.

But everyone knows whenever you feel victorious in a debate. You start a new thread to tell everyone.

That hasn't happened in a long, long while. :lol:

Guest American Woman

I stand corrected.

So his mother was American and his father was African, and he put African-American and you're complaining that's inaccurate? Sounds perfect to me.

His mother was White. "American" isn't a race, but I'm guessing you already knew that. African-American, if you really aren't aware of it, is another term for "Black" or "Negro."

Not sure where you get that I'm "complaining" that his response is technically inaccurate; more like stating/pointing out that it is. :rolleyes:

In regards to "accuracy," I'm not sure how important the "race" aspect of the census is. I'm guessing there are people of mixed race who may not even be aware of it, depending on how many generations it goes back. But no, his answer technically isn't accurate.

The odds are incredibly strong that unless you are a recent AFrican immigrant or an immigrant from a place like Haiti, you're mixed race anyways. The amount of interbreeding between whites and slaves was so high that when the first major DNA surveys were being done in the 1980s to determine major human lineages, African-Americans were skewed enough towards European ancestry that the researchers had to head off to Africa.

In other words, Shady's complaint is part racist, part plain stupidity.

The odds are incredibly strong that unless you are a recent AFrican immigrant or an immigrant from a place like Haiti, you're mixed race anyways.

Bollocks. Plenty of people are not of "mixed race", and not only immigrants from black nations.

Bollocks. Plenty of people are not of "mixed race", and not only immigrants from black nations.

That's a lovely fantasy, but large degrees of interbreeding between whites and black slaves mean that, from a genetic point of view, the large majority of African-Americans are of mixed African-European heritage. That's the reality. So picking on Obama for picking "black", when, genetically, the large majority of African-Americans are in no different position is ludicrous.

Trying to spin how one views his or her own heritage is low.

There is no political gain to be had from that line of attack. Unfortunately, the one who brings it up never accomplishes anything apart from coming off as a racist bigot.

I am a quarter Irish. I do not readily identify myself as such.

My choice. His choice. None of your business.

There are a multitude of issues to actually attack Barack Obama over.

Taking issue over his ethnicity, heritage, etc is adopting the birther line of attack. You know this but play ignorant. You also probably know that it was tried by a few shortsighted Republicans and they got burned.

Irrelevant thread.

Edited by Kissinger

Clearly, you haven't taken Genetics 101.

Here we go. What are you gonna do, launch into a lecture on how we are all from Africa and hence though we may be, say, 1000 generations removed, we are all in fact still at least 1 in 2^1000 parts "African"? Or is your argument to do with the non-existence of races, and how they are only a "social construct"?

The reality is that the descendants of people who immigrated to America from Europe and had children with other people who immigrated from Europe can be classified unambiguously as "white". People who just immigrated over from China and many other places in Asia can be classified unambiguously as "Asian".

That's a lovely fantasy, but large degrees of interbreeding between whites and black slaves mean that, from a genetic point of view, the large majority of African-Americans are of mixed African-European heritage. That's the reality. So picking on Obama for picking "black", when, genetically, the large majority of African-Americans are in no different position is ludicrous.

Oh I see, your intention with the statement I quoted earlier was to refer only to determining the race of "African-Americans". I thought you were making the more general statement that for anyone, chances are "incredibly high" that they are of "mixed race".

Edited by Bonam