Tim's Employees in Afghanistan Eligible for War Medals

How ridiculous is this? So if someone cuts their finger slicing a bagel will they get the Victoria Cross?

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/Hortons+staff+eligible+Afghan+medals/2739470/story.html

Because a service medal is so similar than an award for gallantry...

How ridiculous is this? So if someone cuts their finger slicing a bagel will they get the Victoria Cross?

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/Hortons+staff+eligible+Afghan+medals/2739470/story.html

I highly doubt cutting a finger while slicing a bagel will earn anyone a medal. However, they are working in a war zone, so I'm sure there could be an instance or two of specific actions that could be medal worthy.

Your initial premise is wrong.

Edited by Shady

I have never seen/heard of a war medal whats a war medal. If you don't understand that the military gives out service medal, then maybe you should withdraw your post and go an educate yourself on what a service medal is and why they are awarded.

Guest American Woman

I highly doubt cutting a finger while slicing a bagel will earn anyone a medal. However, they are working in a war zone, so I'm sure there could be an instance or two of specific actions that could be medal worthy.

Your initial premise is wrong.

I don't think they even have to cut their finger. Sounds as if all they have to do is put in 30 days; that's how it reads to me.

The time period needed to qualify for the General Service Medal has been lowered from 90 days to 30 days. The medal will honour those who supported the Afghan mission, ranging from Tim Hortons employees at Kandahar Airfield.... link

The original article says American troops receive more medals than Canadian troops, so this may be a result of pressure on the Canadian forces. That's according to Jack Granatstein, a senior research fellow at the Canadian Defence and Foreign Affairs Institute.

Mr. Granatstein said he thinks the Canadian Forces may have been motivated to make the changes after facing pressure because U.S. soldiers receive more medals than Canadians. "There's probably pressure to give more, and I suspect it's that that drives this," he said.

I have to admit, it seems a bit bizarre to me.

Edited by American Woman

Guest American Woman

It was allowed to open to give the troops a little piece of home. I don't know how it is/was operated, but really it doesn't matter.

I still find it rather bizarre. The U.S. troops have Burger King, Pizza Hut, and Subway, but I doubt their workers are getting medals.

This is a corporate venture. It's not altruistic. This is a medal that used to, up until now, be given only to military personal, for their service. To give it to people who have served coffee for 30 days devalues it, IMO.

I still find it rather bizarre. The U.S. troops have Burger King, Pizza Hut, and Subway, but I doubt their workers are getting medals.

This is a corporate venture. It's not altruistic. This is a medal that used to, up until now, be given only to military personal, for their service. To give it to people who have served coffee for 30 days devalues it, IMO.

I don't they are over there as a service to the troops and to increase moral.

This is a medal that used to, up until now, be given only to military personal, for their service.

Incorrect. Read the article.

The decision, which has raised eyebrows in the military community, echoes similar methods of recognition applied during the Second World War, according to the Department of Defence.

Medals were awarded during the Second World War to civilians working for Salvation Army, Knights of Columbus, the Canadian Legion and the YMCA.

Guest American Woman

I don't they are over there as a service to the troops and to increase moral.

I've read a comment from a vet who said some people will go there just for the medal and the glory. 'Look at me! I earned a medal in war!' Since it doesn't distinguish those who served coffee from those who served in the military, I, too, doubt they're all selfless; there as a service to the troops and to increase moral. There's nothing to distinguish their service medal from people who were actually serving in the military. I find it bizarre, and in reading more about it, I see I'm not the only one. Others question giving it to commercial ventures, too.

Edited by American Woman

What a screw ball idea. I have known guys who were posted in several places during their career but not long enough in one place to get a service medal. They ended up after thirty years with a CD. There will be some hard feelings over this.

Posted overseas in theatre? I know folks who have their UN medals, Bosnia, etc....being posted to Gagetown, no matter how horrible it is, ain't medal worthy.

Guest American Woman
American Woman, on 31 March 2010 - 03:55 PM, said:

This is a medal that used to, up until now, be given only to military personal, for their service.

Incorrect. Read the article.

The decision, which has raised eyebrows in the military community, echoes similar methods of recognition applied during the Second World War, according to the Department of Defence.

Medals were awarded during the Second World War to civilians working for Salvation Army, Knights of Columbus, the Canadian Legion and the YMCA.

No, it's not incorrect, and I did read the article. When I said "this is a medal," obviously I was referring to the medal in question, the General Service medal. I wasn't referring to medals in general, or I would have said "medals used to only be given to military personnel, not "this is a medal that used to be given only to military personnel."

A recent revamp to the process by which the Canadian Forces acknowledges overseas service means that the General Service Medal, which was previously awarded to military personnel, will soon be up for grabs by civilians—including Tim Hortons employees. link

No, it's not incorrect, and I did read the article. When I said "this is a medal," obviously I was referring to the medal in question, the General Service medal. I wasn't referring to medals in general, or I would have said "medals used to only be given to military personnel, not "this is a medal that used to be given only to military personnel."

Still incorrect.

ELIGIBILITY & CRITERIA

The General Service Medal (GSM) is awarded to members of the CF and members of allied forces serving with the CF who deploy outside of Canada - but not necessarily into a theatre of operations - to provide direct support, on a full-time basis, to operations in the presence of an armed enemy.

The GSM may also be awarded, depending on the operation, to Canadian citizens other than members of the Canadian Forces, who are deployed outside Canada, either inside or outside a theatre of operations and working with the CF to provide direct support, on a full-time basis, to operations in the presence of an armed enemy.

http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dhr-ddhr/chc-tdh/chart-tableau-eng.asp?ref=GSM

I should point out that Canada is not unique, this practice which we have done since the second world war, the UK has been doing for much longer.

Governor General announces the General Campaign Star

and the General Service Medal

July 7, 2004

OTTAWA ––Her Excellency the Right Honourable Adrienne Clarkson, Governor General and Commander-in-Chief of Canada, is pleased to announce today that Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II has approved the creation of the General Campaign Star and the General Service Medal.

"As Commander-in-Chief of the Canadian Forces, I am delighted that the General Campaign Star and the General Service Medal are being awarded to the men and women who serve Canada courageously, and contribute to the international public good," said the Governor General. "They act with determination in the exercise of their duties often performed in harm's way, and, for that, they deserve our unqualified support and our heartfelt recognition. Together with all Canadians I am proud of them."

The General Campaign Star recognizes military service in a theatre of operations in the presence of an armed enemy. The General Service Medal acknowledges civilian and military service in direct support of operations in the presence of an armed enemy. Both honours are issued with bars identifying specific operations.

http://archive.gg.ca/media/doc.asp?lang=e&DocID=4240

Edited by M.Dancer

Maybe it shouldn't be called "a medal" but "an award" or a commerial medal award. So Tim's, beer companies, soft drink companies etc. anyone over the making money from the war.

They are called medal because they are medallions. Medals are awarded. They should not be confused with decorations though...

THIS corporation goes so far as to get rid of managers that establish the outlet--they then hire someone cheaper..and if the wrongfully dismissed manager sues the corporation...and wins--then they falsify employment records to read badly so the next guy or girl does not win the suit..I saw this happen first hand--- Timy is a weasil and weasil do what they must.

Posted overseas in theatre? I know folks who have their UN medals, Bosnia, etc....being posted to Gagetown, no matter how horrible it is, ain't medal worthy.

No disrespect for our soldiers but hero making of some poor naive soul that gets blown up while driving down the road is not a hero "That died in hand to hand combat or dove on a grenade, saving others.........nor is the stupid high way of heroes really a heroic drive that allows those of little importance to salute a wasted corpse passing along on the way to the 5000 dollar autopsy.

So it's non-profit, then? Horton's isn't making any money off of it?

Humans are held in contempt--my poor old wife managed an outlet that generated over four million bucks a year..they disguarded her like trash..He arm and shoulder is damaged from repeated mechanical motion..she is crippled for all intent and purpose--no one sent her a medal..but they did send word around not to hire here ever again.