Tories

Some members of the US government want OUT of the NAFTA with Canada and Mexico and they are pushing forward to the White House to get it done. Sure took them a long time to realize this isn't good for jobs, just CEO's and shareholders. http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/reuters/100304/n_top_news/cnews_us_usa_congress_nafta

Some Congresscritters always want out of NAFTA. Why is this news?

Edited by ToadBrother

Some members of the US government want OUT of the NAFTA with Canada and Mexico and they are pushing forward to the White House to get it done. Sure took them a long time to realize this isn't good for jobs, just CEO's and shareholders. http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/reuters/100304/n_top_news/cnews_us_usa_congress_nafta

And who pray tell are shareholders?

That would be pretty much every Canadian with a job and a retirement plan. Oh the horror.

Suggesting free trade is bad for Canada warrants a suggestion to buy books on economics or take some classes.

Some Parliamentarians also want out of NAFTA, guess where their polling numbers are...

I still see customs duties and brokerage fees on invoices for purchases I make in the US.

You figure you can just drive a load of lumber across the border any time you like?

Look at the numbers of how well our economy has done with free trade vs. without. We as a society have done very well with the NAFTA agreement. To say otherwise is living in fantasy land.

AGW IS a minor parlor trick.

An expensive one, but one none the less.

Compare the rather limited amount of skepticism that seems to be causing all the back-peddling on AGW to the huge amount of skepticism that failed to do much if anything to blunt our free fall into free trade and globalization in general. As the OP put it Sure took them a long time to realize this isn't good for jobs, just CEO's and shareholders.

The main effect of pointing out scientific malfeasance - publication bias, fudged data, funding conspiracies etc, at the hands of ideologically driven or self interested climate scientists - has mostly caused me to wonder how much of the scientific evidence for things like free trade and globalization have likewise been steeped in the very same sort of corruption.

In the wake of the disaster known as the War on Terror I'm particularly concerned about the veracity and self serving "science" that's gone into studying and formulating geo-strategic policies that interestingly enough also seem to favor the sorts of vested interests that free trade and globalization favor.

I guess this is why we regulate banks, so they can't cock things up even when they want to. I think the loss of public faith in just about anything our most important authorities and institutions say is what will finally do us in. This incapacity to appropriately sense what is actually happening and do anything about it is analogous to the senselessness that allows the proverbial frog to be boiled alive.

Look at the numbers of how well our economy has done with free trade vs. without. We as a society have done very well with the NAFTA agreement. To say otherwise is living in fantasy land.

Look at the numbers of people hanging on by the skin of their teeth. Like many of the ecosystems our fantasy economy depends on they are being stretched/maxed to the limit.

Exactly. Our economy has almost tripled in size since the implementation of NAFTA.

Mostly on paper I think, in my region our two primary industries have been replaced with one and it just ain't cutting it. Like I said has anyone tried taking a load of lumber with a for sale sign on it across the border lately?

Mostly on paper I think,

Since I have seen facts showing me that you're wrong, I doubt you've even really thought about it.

Like I said has anyone tried taking a load of lumber with a for sale sign on it across the border lately?

One industry does not an economy make.

Since I have seen facts showing me that you're wrong, I doubt you've even really thought about it.

I don't doubt there are lots of facts that back up you're saying but I doubt if these take into account things like expanding income gaps or the draw down of the natural capital our economy primarily depends on for it's growth. Factor these in and then get back to me.

One industry does not an economy make.

Tell me about.

I don't doubt there are lots of facts that back up you're saying but I doubt if these take into account things like expanding income gaps or the draw down of the natural capital our economy primarily depends on for it's growth. Factor these in and then get back to me.

That's a systemic problem with western economies and not so much the problem of NAFTA or the Euro trade union. Mexico shouldn't have ever been a part of NAFTA in the first place. Either way, nothing will happen in terms of this news.

Look at the numbers of people hanging on by the skin of their teeth. Like many of the ecosystems our fantasy economy depends on they are being stretched/maxed to the limit.

There are winners and losers as there have always been. There are just more winners now than before. Cry me a river because fishermen are too stupid to replenish their stocks and computers slashed paper usage.

There are winners and losers as there have always been. There are just more winners now than before. Cry me a river because fishermen are too stupid to replenish their stocks and computers slashed paper usage.

There's a small fish hatchery down the road from where I live that produced nearly 2 million fish shortly after it was constructed. When these fish returned they kept a couple hundred fishermen working for nearly a month and a couple of fish plants working around the clock to process the catch.

This was it's first pilot project. It was so successful that communities up and down the coast started drawing up proposals for similar hatcheries. Ottawa ordered DFO to shut it down and no more were built.

Cry me a river because fishermen are too stupid to replenish their stocks

I can only imagine the crying you were doing when some of us started doing things like seizing DFO offices in a desperate attempt to replenish our economy. Probably called us terrorists and losers didn't you? You pompous little .....

Edited by eyeball