Why I love the Olympics.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't think I'd get this pumped over these Olympics. A lot of the people around me said the same thing. I am seeing spontaneous Canadian pride as I've never seen in my life.

The US-Canada game was amazing and hard on the nerves to watch at times. :)

The games will come to an end all too soon. Let's enjoy.

LOVE TO SEE THEM FLY - it is grand human achievment---now once it is over I hope that the Vancouver city fathers learn a lesson from that athletes- to be the best also and clean up that miserable town..let the city fathers and mother achieve a gold in that respect.

Speaking of which curling is on right now. :lol:

I prefer them too, but really the Summer Olympics are better. Winter sports are pretty much limited to certain nations. Summer Olympics is a truly global event.

So the summer sports are still boring, offering little excitement. Who gives a dam about how "global" the event is.

And about that effin' close game, didn't you know? That was on purpose. Our guys just wanted to put on a good show for the spectators. :P

At my place, you could have heard a pin drop during the closing moments of the game. I have never had such a quiet group of customers in my life. I wasn't even sure that they were breathing.

-k

So the summer sports are still boring, offering little excitement. Who gives a dam about how "global" the event is.

Boring to you and I perhaps, but I would think "global" is quite relevant when it comes to the Olympics. Isn't that the point of the Olympics? Best athletes in the world?

Edited by jefferiah

Boring to you and I perhaps, but I would think "global" is quite relevant when it comes to the Olympics. Isn't that the point of the Olympics? Best athletes in the world?

Its not relevant, the olympics is about politics and propaganda, if it wasn't own the podium wouldn't matter, the Russians wouldn't be moaning and cutting down the Vancouver Olympics. Global competitions happen all the time, but they don't have the politics invovled to such a high degree. If you don't agree check out world cup swimming and the world competitions for other sports. Or are you going to try and tell me that the worlds best don't compete at those.

Edited by Alta4ever

Its not relevant, the olympics is about politics and propaganda, if it wasn't own the podium wouldn't matter, the Russians wouldn't be moaning and cutting down the Vancouver Olympics. Global competitions happen all the time, but they don't have the politics invovled to such a high degree. If you don't agree check out world cup swimming and the world competitions for other sports. Or are you going to try and tell me that the worlds best don't compete at those.

I never said the world's best do not compete at other events. I just assumed that was also a central theme to the Olympics. Call me crazy. I just thought that international competition had something to do with it. I prefer the Winter Olympics as well. But the fact remains that events in the Summer Olympics are more relevant to more people the world over. It is a much bigger deal.

Edited by jefferiah

I never said the world's best do not compete at other events. I just assumed that was also a central theme to the Olympics. Call me crazy. I just thought that international competition had something to do with it. I prefer the Winter Olympics as well. But the fact remains that events in the Summer Olympics are more relevant to more people the world over. It is a much bigger deal.

Beyond football i doubt they care much.

Beijing had close to 5B viewers.

Most Americans prefer Summer Olympics as well. I doubt that is just because of the Euro football.

Who cares? Yes, poorer countries have a much easier time participating in the Summer Olympics. Probably because their climates are better suited, and the summer sports tend to cost less to play. But really, who cares? I'm not sure why it's such a big deal to you. Do you expect people to apologize for liking and/or participating in the Winter Olympics? If you don't like them, don't watch them.

Who cares? Yes, poorer countries have a much easier time participating in the Summer Olympics. Probably because their climates are better suited, and the summer sports tend to cost less to play. But really, who cares? I'm not sure why it's such a big deal to you. Do you expect people to apologize for liking and/or participating in the Winter Olympics? If you don't like them, don't watch them.

I don't understand why you are so upset. I am not at all. Someone said Winter Olympics are better. I agreed that I liked them better as well. I pointed out for the sake of discussion, however, that the Summer Olympics are a much bigger event and that it is truly more international (which I think has a lot to do with the Olympic idea). Alta said that was irrelevant, and I rebutted. How does that add up to me expecting people to apologize for enjoying the Winter Olympics? I enjoy the Winter Olympics and prefer them.

Edited by jefferiah

We are a winter country, it stands to reason most of us would prefer the winter games. Someone from Brazil, not so much. Most of the world has a climate that allows the bulk of the population to participate in summer sports. Winter sports, not so much. Apples and Oranges. I look forward to both of them. When else do you get to see such a concentrated display of the best in what humanity has to offer demonstrated by the people who are this planet's future.

Edited by Wilber

We are a winter country, it stands to reason most of us would prefer the winter games.

With the winter games, I don't mind hibernating to watch the excitement of countries competing for the top of the podium. During our all too short summers, I don't wish to stay cooped up indoors and miss out on all that heat and sunshine.

The beauty is that because we have four seasons, we can hold our own in both summer and winter Olympics. We are blessed.

With the winter games, I don't mind hibernating to watch the excitement of countries competing for the top of the podium. During our all too short summers, I don't wish to stay cooped up indoors and miss out on all that heat and sunshine.

The beauty is that because we have four seasons, we can hold our own in both summer and winter Olympics. We are blessed.

Good post. I never pay attention to the Summer Olympics at all. But tennis is kinda growing on me so I might pay attention to London 2012.

Wow! Canada won the men's 500-metre short track gold and bronze medals and the 5,000-metre relay gold medal tonight. That puts Charles Hamelin as a double gold medalist. I think this guy should be Canada's flag bearer at the closing ceremonies. Anyone have any other contenders?

According to reports, you get your wish.

Your instinct was spot on Smallc. I'm very happy with Joannie as our flag bearer. I feel certain our Canadian athletes will be proud to be be led into the closing ceremonies by this extremely courageous and inspirational woman.

Even today, there were tributes to Joannie in the US media, leaving me, again, with a lump in my throat.

Guest American Woman

Your instinct was spot on Smallc. I'm very happy with Joannie as our flag bearer. I feel certain our Canadian athletes will be proud to be be led into the closing ceremonies by this extremely courageous and inspirational woman.

Even today, there were tributes to Joannie in the US media, leaving me, again, with a lump in my throat.

I literally had tears in my eyes. I can't think of anyone more deserving of the honor, and what an honor it is. I'm sure she will leave everyone, atheletes and spectators like, inspired -- which is a pretty good way to end the Games. :)