Why I love the Olympics.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, in the end, we did own the podium....just not quite like we thought we would.

I thought it was a bit bold to make that OTP statement and I had doubts they could do it...but they nearly did, if they keep up the funding Canada may dominate in the next winter O's Canada had many, many top ten finishes who were so close to medaling...Canada did well for a country with a population of only 34 million one tenth the USA's, Norway probably did better with a population tenth of Canada's ...

interesting rumor I heard about Olympic funding...the IOC divides revenue among the various countries International Sports federations and National Olympic Organizations, because of a TV deal made years ago the USA gets 20% of the cash about $250 million all the other countries(about 200) share another 20%...that's quite an advantage in training funds for the USA if true...I've found links to the agreement but none break down how the cash is split...this deal with the USA is supposed to end in 2020...if the rumor is true it's really unfair that the wealthiest nation should get such an unfair advantage...

That doesn't really mean that they failed. They did they're best. We can't really fault them.

I don't fault them at all, that's just the way it goes...on any given day a champion can fail and perennial runner-up can own the day...but there were Canadians who failed to reach the levels expected of them, had they met their own standards the OTP may well have happened...I'm not all disappointed by the results...

...Canada did well for a country with a population of only 34 million one tenth the USA's, Norway probably did better with a population tenth of Canada's ...

Yep....Norway wins this penis measuring contest hands down....it's not even close.

interesting rumor I heard about Olympic funding...the IOC divides revenue among the various countries International Sports federations and National Olympic Organizations, because of a TV deal made years ago the USA gets 20% of the cash about $250 million all the other countries(about 200) share another 20%...

The USA media market is huge and has locked in commitments that benefit the IOC business model. The number of eyeballs and corporate sponsors counts.

It was a great game; it can't get more exiting, for sure. Great finish for Canada.

I am glad we got to win that at home. That said, Olympic Hockey comes down to one game. One game that went into overtime where everyone knows its pretty much anyone's game. On a different day, with a few different bounces, or in a 7 game series, the Gold could have gone to USA. 5 straight wins for US without trailing another team. One loss in the tournament. To us. We had one loss to USA. That's pretty much evenly matched.

The USA media market is huge and has locked in commitments that benefit the IOC business model. The number of eyeballs and corporate sponsors counts.

185 million US eyeballs out of a global audience of 3.5 billion doesn't justify 20% of the revenue...if the rumor is true...

I am glad we got to win that at home. That said, Olympic Hockey comes down to one game.

It means far more to Canada for lots of reasons...Canada won...congratulations. The Americans will go back to pretty much ignoring hockey. I have to remind some people that the Americans did not win gold by beating the Russians in 1980, but that's how it is often remembered.

You and your guys should be proud. Should be a hell of a rematch in 2014.

Great rivals make for great games, and one couldn't ask for better rivals than Hockey USA.

no, it was a result of failures, many who were favoured to win medals did not...not that it wasn't a success, Canada did well...

Our officials were anticipating 30 medals, and our athletes won 26, so the prediction was actually pretty realistic (especially when you consider that some of our top skiers injured themselves before the games.)

If we'd won 30 instead of 26, we'd ... have still finished behind the US.

-k

185 million US eyeballs out of a global audience of 3.5 billion doesn't justify 20% of the revenue...if the rumor is true...

Yes it does if you want NBC to pony up those kind of bucks for what has been a shrinking audience share. The IOC made the deal because it had nothing better on the table.

Great rivals make for great games, and one couldn't ask for better rivals than Hockey USA.

Our officials were anticipating 30 medals, and our athletes won 26, so the prediction was actually pretty realistic (especially when you consider that some of our top skiers injured themselves before the games.)

If we'd won 30 instead of 26, we'd ... have still finished behind the US.

-k

if Canada had won 30 or more they would have taken medals away from others(US) so OTP in hindsight was more realistic than I would have believed possible...there were a number of under achievements in sliding, skiing, and speed skating short and long track

It means far more to Canada for lots of reasons...Canada won...congratulations. The Americans will go back to pretty much ignoring hockey. I have to remind some people that the Americans did not win gold by beating the Russians in 1980, but that's how it is often remembered.

American hockey continues to get better and better though. Along with other nations. They put out a very good team that could just as easily have won that game. And USA's squad was pretty young too. Guys like Kane and Parise are going to be even better in a few years.

Edited by jefferiah

Yes it does if you want NBC to pony up those kind of bucks for what has been a shrinking audience share. The IOC made the deal because it had nothing better on the table.

I don't fault NBC for making the deal but it's a sweet deal if true since the world audience has grown much bigger than the US audience...the deal ends in 2020 the US athletes will have to look elsewhere for training funds after that...

American hockey continues to get better and better though. Along with other nations. They put out a very good team that could just as easily have won that game. And USA's squad was pretty young too. Guys like Kane and Parise are going to be even better in a few years.

Alas, even my wife wishes it would return to only amateur players. Get the NHL baggage out of it.

they only lack depth, I would guess in 10 years it'll be equal...though they are quite capable now of winning a short tournament...

Alas, even my wife wishes it would return to only amateur players. Get the NHL baggage out of it.

Why? USA has awesome pro players. But that just might happen. I don't think the NHLPA would want it, but I think the league might make a move to stop allowing players to compete at the Olympics. And they make a good case. If I own a team, and I pay my D-man Bush Cheney 5 million a season and you bugger off to the Olympics and get injured....I still have to pay you.

Why? USA has awesome pro players. But that just might happen. I don't think the NHLPA would want it, but I think the league might make a move to stop allowing players to compete at the Olympics. And they make a good case. If I own a team, and I pay my D-man Bush Cheney 5 million a season and you bugger off to the Olympics and get injured....I still have to pay you.

this is normal in professional soccer, teams take out insurance policy on injuries so they don't pay wages they only lose the services of the player...some players have already said they will go to the next O's without permission of the team if need be, players will win this battle...

Why? USA has awesome pro players. But that just might happen.

Because the "pro-players" need a lot more priming to get up for the games and gel with amateur teammates. It just becomes another NHL game, with ad nauseum references to pro teams, venues, "stars", etc. And it's not just Olympic hockey, but any sport that has professional leagues.

This was a big problem for American Olympic basketball, wherein the players made so much money they could ignore the Olympic village and team obligations.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

This was a big problem for American Olympic basketball, wherein the players made so much money they could ignore the Olympic village and team obligations.

like most of the Canadian men's hockey team that couldn't be bothered to go to the closing ceremonies with their Olympic teammates, not cool...