Minority PMs don't deserve Sussex Drive!

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Once again for the slow members of the class, voters do not vote for a government, they vote for a parliament.

Right they vote a members of parliaments. If a Party has the majority of these seats he gets Sussex Drive, if not he can live an MP style apartment and conduct his business via rooms on Parliment Hill.

The PM is the head of government. As such, he needs a residence where he can conduct his business. What's more, being in such an important position means security is necessary. It is much easier to maintain consistent security levels on a permanent residence than via hotel rooms or whatever.

Yes the PM is the head of Government because his party has formed the minority government and this was done at parliament. If the cabinet ministers can conduct business in parliament so can a minority PM.

On a personal note, your whole notion is pretty stupid. There are serious things to talk about, but where a PM lives depending on how many votes his party gets or his relative standings in the House, well that's not even dumb enough to be wrong.

You have to create an incentive to want to form a majority. This is done by offering luxuries such as sussex, and his car allowance. Minority PMs don't deserve perks, they are just lucky to be PM.

and form the government.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the 2000 election, Chretien only received around 41% of the popular vote. That means less than half of all Canadians voted for his party. Almost 6 in 10 people did not want the Liberals in power.

So, should Chretien have been able to move into 24 Sussex? After all, Chretien never showed the Liberals were the party "Canadians want".

Chretien also called an election after 3 1/2 years. This is actually less time than some Minority governments have run. What does that do to your "long term" argument?

The liberals had a majority. Chretien called an election on his own accord not because he had to. He deserved Sussex drive.

The liberals had a majority. Chretien called an election on his own accord not because he had to. He deserved Sussex drive.

He deserved Sussex drive because he put the country through elections which weren't necessary? You have an odd notion of merit and if that is your criteria, Harper is every bit as entitled.

Edited by Wilber

You have to create an incentive to want to form a majority.

Just when I think you can't say something even more retarded than before, you open your mouth, and prove me wrong. As if living in a nice house is more of an incentive to form a majority government than the power one gets with a majority government. Please stop talking! :lol:

Just when I think you can't say something even more retarded than before, you open your mouth, and prove me wrong. As if living in a nice house is more of an incentive to form a majority government than the power one gets with a majority government. Please stop talking! :lol:

It's called creating a sense of acheivement. We shouldn't be making minority PMs to comfortable and that includes perks such as Sussex Drive. Perhaps they should also look at the pay of a Majority seat PM versus a Minority Seat PM. Probably 75% pay and no sussex drive would square things out.

It's called creating a sense of acheivement. We shouldn't be making minority PMs to comfortable and that includes perks such as Sussex Drive. Perhaps they should also look at the pay of a Majority seat PM versus a Minority Seat PM. Probably 75% pay and no sussex drive would square things out.

Whack job.

Perhaps we should pay them more. The job of leading a government with a minority is certainly more difficult than with a majority.

I think a better poll would be, "should whowhere be evicted from mapleleafweb?"

:lol: Ah, but where would be the fun in that? I don't know anyone else, anywhere, who can entertain me with theories of how the word "canada" is not from indigenous language, but a French word from God, instead. Or, how the American Revolution was fought against a queen. Or how Princess Elizabeth forced Newfoundland into Canada. Or... Well, I better stop there.

[c/e]

Edited by g_bambino

:lol: Ah, but where would be the fun in that? I don't know anyone else, anywhere, who can entertain me with theories of how the word "canada" is not from indigenous language, but a French word from God, instead. Or, how the American Revolution was fought against a queen. Or how Princess Elizabeth forced Newfoundland into Canada. Or... Well, I better stop there.

[c/e]

Canada is derived of the Latin Alphabet. Who created the word first France or England? Yes we know according to you the Indians used the Latin Alphabet also. What indigenous language? You have yet to produce their alphabet. Like everything coming from you, its nothing more than your unsubstatiated propoganda.

We have an electoral system that elects MP`s to the house from parties or individuals. The Party that elects the most MP`s has the right to form government and put their leader into Sussex Dr. Unless a coalition can be formed of two or more parties or independanr MP`s to form a government and put their leader into 24 Sussex.

The system is not perfect ,but it is ours.

Our PM no matter what party he comes from has the right to move into 24 Sussex Dr. I want our PM to be able to live comfortably and entertain guests from home or abroad in a manner that reflects on the Canadian people.

living in an apartment is not a viable alternative to drafty old 24 Sussex.

We have an electoral system that elects MP`s to the house from parties or individuals. The Party that elects the most MP`s has the right to form government and put their leader into Sussex Dr. Unless a coalition can be formed of two or more parties or independanr MP`s to form a government and put their leader into 24 Sussex.

The system is not perfect ,but it is ours.

Our PM no matter what party he comes from has the right to move into 24 Sussex Dr. I want our PM to be able to live comfortably and entertain guests from home or abroad in a manner that reflects on the Canadian people.

living in an apartment is not a viable alternative to drafty old 24 Sussex.

They should hold the meetings at mulroneys estate. Have you ever seen his mansion? Makes Sussex Drive look like a wood cabin. In any you case you people are missing the point is to reward for accomplishment. Minority PMs spend more time prorogueing and dodging then doing the business of parliament.

The opposition combined has enough seats to table this legislation and pass it to scale back what minority PMs are entitled to. The opposition should do this to get Harpers' attention to stop playing around.

They should hold the meetings at mulroneys estate. Have you ever seen his mansion? Makes Sussex Drive look like a wood cabin. In any you case you people are missing the point is to reward for accomplishment. Minority PMs spend more time prorogueing and dodging then doing the business of parliament.

The opposition combined has enough seats to table this legislation and pass it to scale back what minority PMs are entitled to. The opposition should do this to get Harpers' attention to stop playing around.

I think the Opposition has better things to do that this kind of low-brow mean-spirited stupidity. At any rate, you've convinced no one of what you suggest, but you seem to have convinced several people that you're a few Timbits short of a 40 pack.

The reward is the ability to govern with a majority government no leader prefers a minority.

<_<

That's what he continues to fail to understand. But I'm actually all for the other parties putting forth this legislation. It would pretty much guarantee the conservative majority government whowhere insists Harper should have in order to reside at Sussex Drive. :lol: