William Shanter and Sarah Palin

Shady

Guest American Woman
Saying that you didn't doesn't make it true. Unfortunately for you, anyone can navigate to the very first page, and see that you did.

Yep, I'm sure they can navigate to the very first page, and see that I didn't.

See, I'm sure you know all about what the Shatner/Palin clip is like, and how it compares to other people's comedy.

Hmm, I think the term is checkmate.

omg. If you think that was "critiquing Palin's performance," think again. :lol:

I would also say, "No thanks, I don't care to read Coulter's book as I'm sure it's nowhere near as good as Obama's was," and that wouldn't be 'critiquing the book,' it would be a comment based on my knowledge of the author and knowledge of her material as compared to knowledge of Obama and his book, having read the book.

But since I've already spent way more time time on this than I should have, I'll simply recap that the clip wasn't in the least bit funny (and that includes Shatner), nor did I find Palin even remotely charming.

Having said that, your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to find someone on the Right being actually funny, and then I'll laugh -- and not have a sad life any more. ;)

Edited by American Woman

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Palin/Shatner video was pretty funny for sure. I liked the underwear part the best, as I pictured her in hers. Having said that, no one on that stage is qualified for VPOTUS or POTUS, in any way.

Palin more that Shatner anyway. Being a good Baron Byng Boychik and all...

Having said that, no one on that stage is qualified for VPOTUS or POTUS, in any way.

I tend to agree. However, that's exactly why I posted this in the Arts and Culture section, and not in American Politics. It's a non-political, non-partisan piece of comedy. Nothing more. But some people couldn't even bring themselves to view it because of purely political partisan reasons. Whether one views and thinks this clip is funny has nothing to do with whether one thinks Sarah Palin is qualified or unqualified to be President. And I find it bizarre that a certain female American uses that as part of her "logic".

Guest American Woman
You know, I sat here for a moment and tried to ponder what you meant.

I confess I don't get it. Do you mean American Woman's distaste for Palin stems from Palin being a woman?

Quite the ignorant comment, eh? :rolleyes:

I did a "[pCount]=&search_app_filters[forums][pViews]=&search_sort_by=date&search_sort_order=desc&content_title_only=1&search_term=obama&search_filter_app[forums]=1&st=0"]titles only" search for "Obama" and "Shady" and what did I get? "Your search for the term obama returned 52 results"

So Shady has started 52 threads about Obama, and none of them are to sing Obama's praises, yet there's not one post from Sir Bandelot, in all of those threads, wondering what Shady's attitude would be if Obama were a woman ...

As a side note, seems as if Shady didn't find Tina Fey too "charming" or "funny" ... :P

[Response to WIP]

Sorry, but Tina Fey is gross. And I'm not sure how you figure she's "a hell of a lot more intelligent" than Sarah Palin. But I can tell you one thing, I'm a hell of a lot more intelligent than you.

As a side note, seems as if Shady didn't find Tina Fey too "charming" or "funny" ... :P

Actually, I like her a lot on 30 Rock. And the comment you linked to was a discussion on her looks. I don't find her very attractive. I'm sorry. But she is definitely funny.

Nice try at cherry-picking though. :lol:

Edited by Shady

Guest American Woman

Actually, I like her a lot on 30 Rock. And the comment you linked to was a discussion on her looks. I don't find her very attractive. I'm sorry. But she is definitely funny.

Nice try at cherry-picking though. :lol:

I see. So Fey looks enough like Palin in those skits to be her double, yet according to you, Palin is gorgeous and Fey is "gross looking." Just a non-partisan, non-political totally unbiased opinion on your part, eh?

Carry on, Shady. Carry on. :lol:

I confess I don't get it. Do you mean American Woman's distaste for Palin stems from Palin being a woman?

Does mine?

Fortunately, I'm pretty sure this isn't the case.

I don't know about you, but it wouldn't be surprising me in the least.

Palin was criticized and resented by a lot of women. Strange that so many of them didn't think a woman could ever be POTUS. What was odd is that they hated Hillary as well, for the same reason.

You see, it wasn't even about their politics...

Edited by Sir Bandelot

Guest American Woman

Palin was criticized and resented by a lot of women. Strange that so many of them didn't think a woman could ever be POTUS. What was odd is that they hated Hillary as well, for the same reason. You see, it wasn't even about their politics...

You're not the brightest crayon in the box, are you? B)

Both shows/hosts definitely make fun of Democrats/the left, too. Is there even one show that leans to the right that also makes fun of Republicans/the right? Not that I'm aware of. Interesting, eh?

Is there such thing as a right-leaning comedy show at all? I'm sure many would suggest that Rush Dimbaugh qualifies, but I'm referring to intentional comedy.

Yes, really. There are plenty of Right-leaning personalities/celebrities, and none of them ever make fun of Republicans/the Right.

Out of curiosity, who? The only celebrities I can think of who are well-known for being conservative are... uh, Ted Nugent and Alice Cooper. Other than that, there's the 3rd most popular Baldwin brother...

... I can't really see The Nooge, Alice Cooper, and Bud Baldwin putting together some sort of political satire comedy revue.

Anyway, SNL and the Daily Show and similar are not really out to advocate for a point of view, they're out there to provide funny satire of current events. Obama and the Democrats have been the target as well. I think Obama is just inherently less easy to make fun of than Dubya was.

-k

Palin was criticized and resented by a lot of women. Strange that so many of them didn't think a woman could ever be POTUS. What was odd is that they hated Hillary as well, for the same reason. You see, it wasn't even about their politics...

I don't agree with the idea that women who opposed Palin were the same women who opposed Hilary.

Some of Palin's harshest critics were Hilary's biggest supporters. When Palin applauded Hilary for making "18 million cracks in the glass ceiling" or something like that, Hilary supporters were outraged. "How DARE she compare herself to Hilary Clinton!" I think there was a sentiment that Palin was getting for free something that Hilary had worked her ass off for. Or worse, that Palin was just a cynical attempt to cash in on support that Hilary had built. I think a large number of people believed that Hilary Clinton was a woman who had enough merit to be President, and that the same people felt that Palin was a "token", an affirmative action pick, someone who was there because of politics, not merit.

Conversely, there were women (conservatives and the elderly in large measure...) who disliked Hilary and thought Palin was terrific. Palin represents something closer to a traditional idea of a woman, for some people. Hilary is a dedicated career woman who had a child, Palin is a dedicated mother who pursued a career... or something along those lines. I also think that a lot of women who were indifferent initially found themselves wanting Palin to succeed when they saw the way the press went after her.

All that aside, there is a kernel of truth in what you're saying. There are adages like "women are their own harshest critics" and "women are their own worst enemies", and I think there's some truth in it. I do recall seeing that Palin had much higher approval among men than among women. (I think that women who'd support a woman candidate sheerly for feminist reasons would probably be put off by Palin's pro-life believes and be voting Democrat, anyway.)

I recall hearing about a study trying to figure out how people view male leaders vs female leaders, and finding that men tend to be more receptive to a male leader than a female one. Oddly, they found that women felt exactly the same. All things being equal, both men and women are more receptive to a male leader.

Personally, I was hoping that Palin would be a good candidate... I clung to that hope even after it became apparent that she wasn't. Disappointing. I'd also hoped that Hilary would do well. I'd also hoped that Belinda.ca would do well. I find myself thinking that if Hilary couldn't do it, we probably won't see any other woman get as close for a very long time. Not in the US, and not in Canada either.

-k

Guest American Woman
Sorry, but I don't agree with that at all. That may be your premise, but it certainly isn't mine.

:lol:

Gee, that sounds an awful lot like what I said regarding Palin, yet you kept insisting it couldn't possibly be so.

Enough said..... B)

Gee, that sounds an awful lot like what I said regarding Palin, yet you kept insisting it couldn't possibly be so.

Unfortunately, you're completely wrong, again. I'm not sure if you're purposely being obtuse, but I'll try and explain things really slowly, so that hopefully, this time, you won't have the same problem.

You made assumptions about the Shatner/Palin comedy clip before even viewing it. In fact, you even refused to view it because of your prejudice towards her. And what does prejudice mean? To pre-judge. And that's exactly what you did.

I, on the other hand. Linked to a photo, clearly illustrating the vast difference in the looks of Palin and Fey. And then I commented on those observed differences.

The two situations are entirely different. But I applaud your efforts in blurring the issues. But please let it drop. You had your ass handed to you in this thread. It's time to move on.

"I'm not interested in seeing it" and "I doubt it's any good" are two different things. There are lots of movies, shows, and actors that I personally have no interest in watching, despite widespread claims that they're "good". AW's disinterest in this clip wasn't an assumption about the quality, it's statement of her lack of interest in Palin. I don't see why this is such an issue for you.

Good effort by Palin, but her delivery was more "press conference" than "beat poetry." She should have at least attempted to look like she was reading from the book.

"The Shat" dominates the stage, as usual.

-k

This is a great clip of Shatner and Palin, reading selected lines from eachother's autobiographies. Enjoy! Even the anti-Palin types in this forum won't be immune to her charm. :)

NBC

P.S. I spelled Shatner's name wrong. I apologize. He is amazing and deserves better.

Shatner was trying to direct and produce a project years back- and he yelled at me like a lunitic..I think he may just be a puffy faced drunk...I did not respect him in the flesh.. But it was kind of cool getting a brow beating from Captain Kirk...He was nasty to the prime cast also..having watched all the big shots for 18 years on set...few are to be respected.

Palin was criticized and resented by a lot of women. Strange that so many of them didn't think a woman could ever be POTUS. What was odd is that they hated Hillary as well, for the same reason.

You see, it wasn't even about their politics...

But it's a monumental leap to claim that "Palin was criticized and resented by a lot of women" (which does not provide evidence that it was BECAUSE she was a woman) and then speculating this is the reason for American Woman's distaste for Palin...a distaste AW shares with an awful of people.

You can believe what you want. But then, some might suggest (and in fact, Noam Chomsky predicted precisely this from Palin's first national appearance) that the Republicans chose her precisely SO THAT they could level this charge every time someone ratonaly criticized her.

Or, we could beleive that the Republican social conservatives suddenly discovered and embraced feminism.

Whichever scenario seems most likely..... :)

But it's a monumental leap to claim that "Palin was criticized and resented by a lot of women" (which does not provide evidence that it was BECAUSE she was a woman) and then speculating this is the reason for American Woman's distaste for Palin...a distaste AW shares with an awful of people.

True, I said some mean things and I am sorry. :)

But, that was so yesterday..!

Look at it this way, it did help to make you and kimmy say some very good things, and I agree with pretty much everything that kimmy said. Even the part where she disagrees with me...

In fact she said everything that I really wanted to say, but I said a few silly things instead, knowing that someone would come out and say all of those good things. So, I was simply being economical in a way...

Quite the ignorant comment, eh? :rolleyes:

Lol, the quote you dug up from Shady kills me!!! I like you Mrs A. Woman. You got one of them elephant memories :). *mental note, don't mess with da A.M.* [it's funny, cause I call one of my aunts A.M. Aunt Monica, so when people say A.M. I think my aunt is posting]

I am an idiot .. your A.W. not A.M ...... well, remember this one ... doh.

Edited by GostHacked