Take the Citizenship Test

M.Dancer

I scored 92% but guessed for the BC politics questions.

91%. Though, some of their correct answers are actually wrong; for instance, they claim that the leader of the party with the most elected representatives becomes Prime Minister when this actually isn't the case; the process isn't automatic, and the Queen actually appoints the prime minister via her viceroy. Also, the first European settlers in Canada didn't come from France, they came from Norway. Even then, Newfoundland was claimed by an Englishman in 1583, decades before the French settlements were put up along the St. Lawrence. So, I hereby promote my score to 95%! :D

91%. Though, some of their correct answers are actually wrong; for instance, they claim that the leader of the party with the most elected representatives becomes Prime Minister when this actually isn't the case; the process isn't automatic, and the Queen actually appoints the prime minister via her viceroy. Also, the first European settlers in Canada didn't come from France, they came from Norway. Even then, Newfoundland was claimed by an Englishman in 1583, decades before the French settlements were put up along the St. Lawrence. So, I hereby promote my score to 95%! :D

I had the same problems.

96%. I got some of the BC questions wrong as well as the question about Metis (which is questionable in itself) and the question where Northern Canada was the answer (duh). I raised my mark because even though they think i got the questions about government formation wrong, in actuality, they did.

Edited by Smallc

96%. I got some of the BC questions wrong as well as the question about Metis (which is questionable in itself) and the question where Northern Canada was the answer (duh). I raised my mark because even though they think i got the questions about government formation wrong, in actuality, they did.

94% why are we asking municiple government questions, It should be more important to know how municiple government works rather then who sits on it at this moment.

I got 100%, but I also saw some of the same problems with the wording of the answers where I was left thinking along the lines of "well, I know that "b" is the correct answer, but I bet they are looking for me to answer "a"..."

Some of the discrepancies revolve around how things actually work compared to how they officially work. The Queen appointing the PM is a good example of this. She appoints the PM officially, but the reality is the person she appoints is the leader of the party with the most seats, so the one with the most seats does become PM. Tautology reigns supreme!

Except that doesn't have to happen and won't always happen (and hasn't always I don't believe - I'm thinking of King here), rendering the answer false. The Prime Minister is the person who controls the House. That usually involves their party having the most seats, but not always.

Except that doesn't have to happen and won't always happen (and hasn't always I don't believe - I'm thinking of King here), rendering the answer false. The Prime Minister is the person who controls the House. That usually involves their party having the most seats, but not always.

There's a reason King-Byng was a huge scandal. It's the exception that proves the rule. There's protocol, then there's the way things really work.

Actually, I'm pretty sure it was King that had fewer seats...and it still proves the answer wrong either way.

He had a minority; yes. He was about to lose a confidence vote because of scandal surrounding his party.

The King-Byng affair became a scandal because King made it into one. I respect the man because he was an ardent monarchist who later did much to define Canada as a sovereign nation (indeed, it was he who worked towards the eventual implementation of the Statute of Westminster for all the Dominions), but it was low of him to use the office of the Governor General for his own political gain.

Less well known, Lieutenant Governors have had to make personal calls on who would be premier; the last I believe being John Black Aird in 1985.

92% I know nothing of BC politics and guessed at all of them. I agree with the Metis question being off. I also think the question about what the three industries that helped build the atlantic economy was wrong. Shipbuilding, Fishing and Forestry, should have been an answer, the bloody ships were made from trees. I digress.

What citizens really need is an ethics test. That's what really distinguishes the decent ones from the riff-raff.

who is going to judge that? there are many native Canadians who would fail an ethics or citizenship test...I think every Canadian should have to pass the same tests as immigrants before they're allowed to vote or hold office...