Should the Law protect criminals?

Argus

We have plenty of cops, but if they're forever wasting their time on moral engineering projects like the war on drugs it stands to reason they'll have less time for fighting real crime.

Of course this situation perfectly suits the need of the enforcement-industrial complex for grist for its mills and political parties also rely on criminals to provide an endlessly galvanizing issue on which to campaign.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have plenty of cops,

We have fewer police per pop than most major western countries.

We have 188 cops per 100k pop. That is 20% lower than in the United States and Australia, and about 25% lower than in England and Wales. The rate in Germany is 289 cops

per 100k, and in France, it's 381 per 100k. For Toronto to match France, for example, they would need to hire over 5,000 more police officers. Would 5,000 additional police officers have an impact on the policing and investigative success in Toronto? It'd take a lot of mismanagement not to.

BTW, Regina is highest at 207 per 100k, Abbotsford BC is lowest at 129

We have fewer police per pop than most major western countries.

More cops available for pro-active crime prevention costs the State money. Using fewer cops to write B&E and "after the fact" accident reports saves money.

Cops patrolling for unsafe drivers costs money. Cops issuing radar tickets makes money.

It's as simple as that.

Well if you want true libertairian society allow me to stop paying for your healthcare, so you can smoke all the plants seeds and chemicals you want, and you can be truely responsible for your actions. You cannot have it both ways. As for the the natural health products bill you couldn't be more wrong it was all about truth in labelling what was on the label should be in the bottle, it was also to stop companies from making false claims. It better darn well do what the label on the bottle says it does. Tehir was nothing in the bill that took away your right to use it.

Don't you get a bad taste in your mouth from all the bullshit constantly frothing out of it? The Natural Health product bill effectively bans almost all NHP's currently on the market. Traditional herbal supplements like garlic to ward off colds have been used for centuries and will become illegal under c-6. The c-6 bullshit bill will require NHP's to undergo the same testing regime that pharma products have to go through. (Pharma-Tony Clement loves this bill) This kind of testing is unnafordable and unnecessary for natural health products that have been used for centuries and have a proven track record of safety. The worst that will happen from using a NHP is that it will not be effective, unlike pharma products that quite often kill people, or cause other terrible side effects. C-6 even makes it illegal to grow garlic for your own medical use, or to serve your children chicken soup to "treat" their cold or flu symptoms.

Don't give me that Health care system bullshit either. Public health care system is not an excuse to remove people's freedom to make their own personal health decisions. People who use cigarettes are not denied health care, nor should they be. Fat lazy shits who drink beer and eat 1/2 an ounce of salt a day are not threatened with denial of health care services either. People who make unhealthy choices will end up dying sooner so in the end they do not really, over the course of their lives cause extra drain on the sytem. Nice try.

Furthermore, when people like you stop demanding that I pay for your stupid moral crusades with MY tax dollars, then come to me with your sob stories about the health care system. The taxes collected and money saved by ending your idiotic moral crusade against plants would easily pay for everyone's health care.

Argus,

Would 5,000 additional police officers have an impact on the policing and investigative success in Toronto? It'd take a lot of mismanagement not to.

That indeed is a holy grail - trying to figure out how much service we get from our police services. The Toronto system seems pretty poorly managed, but it's hard to tell because they keep so much information to themselves.

WE need more police walking a beat. That is the answer to the problem. More cops, period.

I have a few Wards in my city that are subject to regular B&Es and Auto Theft. The police create a zone and then spend their time in the wealthy areas where such B&Es and Auto Theft are significantly lower. They will respond to the wealthy districts and dispatch. But in the other regions, the police won't respond, and you get to go to the police station. We have plenty of police, but they spend alot of time elsewhere. Not that I am against having more, but if they aren't going to be doing their job in the hot spots, why bother.....?

WE need more police walking a beat. That is the answer to the problem. More cops, period.

I agree, at least it has worked where I am.

In the rural area I'm in we had real problem with b&e's, and drinking/driving on the back roads. For as long as I remember we could go a few weeks without seeing a cruiser out here. They've hired a bunch and now there's not many days go by that we don't see at least one. Consequently the b&e's are almost non existent now and the impaired driving is also way down with the random spot checks they setup occasionally.

Police seems more like to help CAS to catch innocent vulnerable parents especially single mothers to take their kids away and make up materials to accuse them. this can also give the opportunity to try pepper spray as well. They also enjoy in tell resident that his dog bark 10 minutes earlier then 9 o'clock which can easily spent half an hour or one hour or more than that. They enjoy ask kids show their IDs. They enjoy use taser guns at those who can not speak English such as Robert Dziekański. And make up materials to accuse shopkeepers. And they need new legislation to keep them busy so that they always have no time to deal with lower priority issues.

Police seems more like to help CAS to catch innocent vulnerable parents especially single mothers to take their kids away and make up materials to accuse them. this can also give the opportunity to try pepper spray as well. They also enjoy in tell resident that his dog bark 10 minutes earlier then 9 o'clock which can easily spent half an hour or one hour or more than that. They enjoy ask kids show their IDs. They enjoy use taser guns at those who can not speak English such as Robert Dziekański. And make up materials to accuse shopkeepers. And they need new legislation to keep them busy so that they always have no time to deal with lower priority issues.

What do you propose, Anarchy?