Liberals At It Again

Ontario health minister resigns ahead of report on eHealth spending abuses

TORONTO - Ontario's health minister bowed to months of opposition pressure and tendered his resignation Tuesday on the eve of a report into how the province spent $1 billion over 10 years to create electronic health records.

Sources told The Canadian Press that David Caplan notified Premier Dalton McGuinty that he would step down in advance of the auditor general's special report into eHealth Ontario, which also included the awarding of millions of dollars in untendered contracts to consultants.

Link

You can take the dog out of the fight, but you can't take the fight out of the dog, or in this case, the corruption out of the Liberal party.

Ontario health minister resigns ahead of report on eHealth spending abuses

TORONTO - Ontario's health minister bowed to months of opposition pressure and tendered his resignation Tuesday on the eve of a report into how the province spent $1 billion over 10 years to create electronic health records.

Sources told The Canadian Press that David Caplan notified Premier Dalton McGuinty that he would step down in advance of the auditor general's special report into eHealth Ontario, which also included the awarding of millions of dollars in untendered contracts to consultants.

Link

You can take the dog out of the fight, but you can't take the fight out of the dog, or in this case, the corruption out of the Liberal party.

Suddenly the NDP doesn't look too bad in Ontario. The Liberals have the biggest spending, the biggest deficit, the biggest budget gap, and the biggest money scandal.

Suddenly the NDP doesn't look too bad in Ontario. The Liberals have the biggest spending, the biggest deficit, the biggest budget gap, and the biggest money scandal.

No the NDP will always look badly ....it suddenly theust not be Party that must not be named is being named....

But I wish. The liberals will skate through this precisly becuase Ontario hates the NDP and the PCs both.

No the NDP will always look badly ....it suddenly theust not be Party that must not be named is being named....

But I wish. The liberals will skate through this precisly becuase Ontario hates the NDP and the PCs both.

New news on this thing. Apparently again giving contracts to their friends with out any bidders. Seriously now the Rea NDP didn't do everything right I am willing to admit that, but these guys are terrible.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2009/10/07/...re-ontario.html

New news on this thing. Apparently again giving contracts to their friends with out any bidders. Seriously now the Rea NDP didn't do everything right I am willing to admit that, but these guys are terrible.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2009/10/07/...re-ontario.html

You have to have lived through it to understand it. Ontario would elect Karla Homolka before they would vote in an NDP government again!

You can argue about if the rep is fair or deserved but it simply doesn't matter. That's how the vast majority of Ontarioans feel and until a few generations grow old and die it's not going to change. It would be easier to have Brian Mulroney make a comeback!

If you're going to dream, dream about winning the lottery. Your chances would be better!

looking forward to the whole report, I've heard that over $600M was gone through during the Harris/Eves years. Instead of trying to blame one party or the other, we should be holding all these bastidges responsible that seem to think it's ok to expense $1.23 for a cup of coffee when they are making $150K a year... and sole source contracts are the devil.

You mean Toronto Hates the PC's right? Toronto will vote Liberal no matter how much money is misspent and/or stolen. NO matter how much the Liberals screw things up there's old faithful Toronto blindly voting the Liberals in again...lol. Makes me wonder if people in general public in Toronto even follow what's going on or just vote Liberal out of habit.

You mean Toronto Hates the PC's right? Toronto will vote Liberal no matter how much money is misspent and/or stolen. NO matter how much the Liberals screw things up there's old faithful Toronto blindly voting the Liberals in again...lol. Makes me wonder if people in general public in Toronto even follow what's going on or just vote Liberal out of habit.

It proves what I said in another post, Mr. C! Toronto HAS become a city of 'politicians, beauticians and telephone sanitizers"!

Hell, in Toronto you don't even have to be a citizen to vote! Anyone who has been or watched an election scrutineer has seen how when those nice ladies come to your door and ask "How many who live here are citizens?" it is totally an honour system!

Sure, it is an offense to lie. So what? It is never audited or enforced. A scrutineer at a polling station can make a challenge over a particular voter but that is such a publicly negative thing (especially if you're wrong!) that in practice no party risks the bad press to do it.

It's really kind of a joke...

Just as an aside, yesterday's CBC article regarding this scandal wasn't even on the Canadian news front page of cbc.ca. Clearly billion-dollar spending scandals within the Ontario Liberal government aren't top headlines. Today's article, found here, doesn't even make one mention of the Liberal party. Go ahead, press ctrl-f and do a search for "liberal", the word isn't mentioned in the entire article I just linked. Furthermore, when I attempted to a post a message illustrating the subtle pro-Liberal/anti-Conservative bias of the CBC, well... let's just say I'm still waiting for that comment to be approved by the moderators!

It really drives me nuts that Canada's premier news agency is politicized. Ah well, c'est la vie!

Edited by Gabriel

looking forward to the whole report, I've heard that over $600M was gone through during the Harris/Eves years. Instead of trying to blame one party or the other, we should be holding all these bastidges responsible that seem to think it's ok to expense $1.23 for a cup of coffee when they are making $150K a year... and sole source contracts are the devil.

Where did you hear that $600 million was gone through the Harris/Eves years? Please provide some evidence. Otherwise, it's just a lie perpetuated by the Liberals in an attempt to deflect accountability.

You have to have lived through it to understand it. Ontario would elect Karla Homolka before they would vote in an NDP government again!

You can argue about if the rep is fair or deserved but it simply doesn't matter. That's how the vast majority of Ontarioans feel and until a few generations grow old and die it's not going to change. It would be easier to have Brian Mulroney make a comeback!

If you're going to dream, dream about winning the lottery. Your chances would be better!

YUP! However, another honest example would be better then providing a name as polarizing and hostile as the one above. Edited by madmax

Ontario PC Leader Tim Hudak today called for a public inquiry to resolve the many unanswered questions that remain about the serious, and potentially criminal, abuses of the taxpayer money that occurred with the McGuinty Liberal eHealth Scandal.

Hudak noted that the Auditor General lacked the mandate or the resources necessary to answer many of the most important unanswered questions about a scandal that saw hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars funneled to Liberal friendly consultants through untendered contracts and sweetheart deals.

In particular, Hudak singled out senior cabinet Ministers like Deputy Premier George Smitherman as requiring more extensive scrutiny.

Given the potentially criminal behaviour hinted at in the Auditor General's report as well as the instances of overt obstruction of the Auditor General's probe, the Ontario PC Caucus has concluded that only an independent, impartial public inquiry with a full mandate to subpoena testimony and documents will provide the answers the people of Ontario deserve to see.

http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive...9/13/c6042.html

Time for Teflon Dalton to issue Smitherman-tested adult diapers to all Ontario cabmins. I'm sure more than one of them could use such protection right about now. :lol:

As I have said many times - this is mostly the fault of the electorate for not holding the government to a higher standard. Dalton McGuinty promised electronic health records and waiting list management years ago, so why do we only hear about this failure

CBC Metro Morning had a project manager on (only incidentally of course, she had gone through cancer treatment) who finally spoke some sanity on the topic of eHealth. To paraphrase: "Why did it take consultants overbilling on tea for the public (read the media) to notice that this $1B project had failed ?

I would like someone in the media to stay with this story, as it's important for the government to know that somebody is watching their management practices, not just their media presence.

You can email CBC Metro Morning at the following link, as I did - quoted below.

email CBC Metro Morning

Re: The eHealth Scandal in Ontario

The project manager you interviewed on your show this morning said the words that have begged to be spoken on the matter of the recent eHealth scandal. To paraphrase - why did it take some minor over-billing by a consultant to alert the media to the waste of a billion dollars, and the failure of the government to deliver on eHealth ?

The fact is that media likes to go for the juicy story, and I realize that an overlong IT project doesn't qualify for that designation. However, CBC has always been good at leading its listeners to stories as well. I hope you continue to stay with this one.

The real story - the slow failure of the eHealth project - isn't the type of story that provokes immediate outrage, but still it has wasted huge amounts of money at a glacial pace. (How many Toronto pools could be kept open with $1B, how much medical equipment could be bought?) As such, it's vital to all of us that the media keep this story in the headlines by checking in periodically to make sure that this project is completed as promised.

If we're not planning to adopt the American model of for-profit healthcare (and I pray that we're not) then it's up to all of us to apply extra attention to matters of public healthcare, because no "invisible hand" will do it in our stead.

Michael Hardner

Edited by Michael Hardner

I notice that the eHealth job postings indicated that they followed the Project Management Body of Knowledge:

eHealth Jobs

If so, then there must be a project scope document, charter and list of stakeholders associated with the project. The government should publish those. If there aren't any such documents, then the managers involved aren't managing according to practices mandated by their designation.

More on E-health

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...1016?hub=Canada

Andrea Horwath has asked Premier Dalton McGuinty to expand audits into Ontario's health agencies to include spot checks on the use of consultants. She has also asked that the province's auditor general examine compensation for senior health care bureaucrats

Her suggestion comes days after the Progressive Conservative party asked for an independent public inquiry into the eHealth scandal and weeks after the auditor general filed a damning report on the agency.

The report concluded that about $1 billion in taxpayer funds were questionably spent on getting the initiative off the ground. The report also found that eHealth officials avoided the tendering system and instead awarded contracts to Liberal-friendly consultant firms.