Conservative anti-Ignatieff ad

jdobbin

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianp...MCVfI5Y-w2qqYjQ

There's a surprising new star making a cameo appearance in Conservative ads attacking Liberal Leader Michael Ignatieff: his name is Justin Trudeau.

French-language TV ads that have begun airing in Quebec show the rookie MP blasting a few volleys of friendly fire at his leader.

Guess we'll see more attack ads in the days ahead.

I expect they will get more vitriolic from Tory headquarters in the new English ads.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quebec MP Justin Trudeau, son of the late prime minister Pierre Elliott Trudeau, was immediately surrounded by dozens of adoring mostly female fans and teachers after his half-hour speech that centered on the need to enter politics and serve society.

That's too bad. We don't need more Rock Stars, we need substance. We were lucky that Trudeau Sr. had ideas, so few politicians do.

We need somebody to restructure our services, not deliver dreamy hymns about togetherness. The structure of government is antiquated and could be tuned up to provide superior social services at less cost than any other G8 nation. With a small amount of organizational genius and political will, we could create an environment that is both socially responsible and conducive to business with low taxes.

I supported Trudeau Sr., but oddly, I think that the best chance for the goal I describe right now at the national level is Harper, but I doubt I'll be able to bring myself to vote for him.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianp...MCVfI5Y-w2qqYjQ

Guess we'll see more attack ads in the days ahead.

I expect they will get more vitriolic from Tory headquarters in the new English ads.

Guess so, just as the Liberal ads will get more vitrolic - they allready have in Quebec.

Edited by scriblett

Yes, but only from the Tories. We know the Liberals would never run an attack ad.

Didn't say we wouldn't see negative ads from the Liberals. I just think that we see less ads of the warm kind from Harper and more of the go for the throat ads. You disagree?

Didn't say we wouldn't see negative ads from the Liberals. I just think that we see less ads of the warm kind from Harper and more of the go for the throat ads. You disagree?

Completely agree. I also love how the French ads are "vitriolic." They're nothing compared to what Harper's nuts have been putting out. They call the guy out on his record in a negative way, that's for sure. What they don't do, however, is attack his character as a person which Harper has done ever since Dion has come into office.

Completely agree. I also love how the French ads are "vitriolic." They're nothing compared to what Harper's nuts have been putting out. They call the guy out on his record in a negative way, that's for sure. What they don't do, however, is attack his character as a person which Harper has done ever since Dion has come into office.

Pfft. Harper is nothing. You remember that guy call Paul Martin?

1. Soldiers in the street

2. Harper's view aren't Canadian,

etc, etc

Harper has nothing on him.

Pfft. Harper is nothing. You remember that guy call Paul Martin?

1. Soldiers in the street

2. Harper's view aren't Canadian,

etc, etc

Harper has nothing on him.

If he goes ahead with it, this coalition garbage would be well and above those two examples. Harper throwing Quebec under the bus to try and make desperate gains in Ontario could bring back separatism a la Mulroney and really hurt this country. Everyone knew that as negativeas those ads were, they were silly. This could cause a serious unity crisis which isn't silly in the least. Oh, also, the last time I checked Paul Martin isn't running. Thanks. Have a great day.

Edited by nicky10013

Harper certainly knows how to troll them depths when he wants to.

Remember Martin is supportive of pedophiles and Liberals are supportive of the Taliban?

Conservatives played nice and turned the other cheek for far too long. Over the top strawman attacks have been the Liberals M.O for decades, and just taking it left the Liberals in power. Just giving them back a small fraction of what they dished out is working quite well. I do expect more of it, and I approve of it wholeheartedly. I don't want them to hold back at all this time, absolutely go for Ignatieff's throat. It'll be fun.

Conservatives played nice and turned the other cheek for far too long. Over the top strawman attacks have been the Liberals M.O for decades, and just taking it left the Liberals in power. Just giving them back a small fraction of what they dished out is working quite well. I do expect more of it, and I approve of it wholeheartedly. I don't want them to hold back at all this time, absolutely go for Ignatieff's throat. It'll be fun.

We'll see if the electorate is up for that. Certainly if he wants to run a coalition thing, he will have his own video played over and over by the media with Layton and Duceppe.

We'll see if the electorate is up for that. Certainly if he wants to run a coalition thing, he will have his own video played over and over by the media with Layton and Duceppe.

That's going to happen anyway, forever! Both the NDP and the Bloc will never form the government. That being said, it's in their interest to continually bring down either the Tories or the Liberals. It will eventually make both parties look incapable of stable government. The Bloc can say to Quebecers that they would be better off as a separate nation and the NDP thinks they would only pick up more seats as voters gradually lose confidence in the two main parties.

As a sidebar to that strategy, I've always thought that if Quebec ever did separate it might prove a bit of a "comeuppance" to the BQ/PQ. For the first time in their history they would have to deal with an Opposition!

That's going to happen anyway, forever! Both the NDP and the Bloc will never form the government. That being said, it's in their interest to continually bring down either the Tories or the Liberals.

No, it isn't.

In the first place, neither of those parties has the resources to run continuous campaigns.

In the second place, since neither will ever govern, their interest/benefit lies in negotiating whatever incremental change they can get... by threatening to bring down government, but not by doing it.

It's a simple straighforward fact that if Harper wants to keep the wheels under this government, it's easily done. There are two parties, both of which would eagerly respond if tossed of any bone at all. Layton is all but rolling over to offer his throat while whining 'Please, please, please give me an excuse to prop you."

If we go to election, it's because the CPC wants to.

Edited by Molly

If we go to election, it's because the CPC wants to.

This is what I can't understand. If we go to an election it seems quite clear to me that we blame whoever voted to bring down the government. Otherwise, it sounds like a cliche argument where someone does a wrong and then excuses it by saying "You MADE me do it!"

I've never been able to understand and certainly not respect that excuse but I hear it all the time. I guess we'll see soon enough if my opinion is mainstream.

That's assuming that who brought down whom will be the major issue of the campaign. I suspect that most Canadians hold other issues more important. The Tories will keep throwing it in the Liberals' face but I think it will cause only small wounds and not a knockout blow.

Simple math should tell you that the Liberals are incapable of 'bringing the government down'.

I wish that they had that much power, but they simply don't.

So you tell me- who might be 'bringing the government down'?

Why, a 'coalition of the other Opposition parties, of course! Who else will vote on the non-confidence motion?

Harper should simply bow out gracefully. After all is said and done and a few years pass, it will be known and excepted that he wasted a lot of young lives with this Afghan adventure. For that and for pandering to American corporate power Mr. Harper and his handlers should take the punitive outcome with open arms. Ignatieff might be an internationalist and an elitist - but the Harper people are rubes with money...it is better to have someone driven by intellect in power than some Bay Street bunkins that are little more than white trash with cash. :lol:

There are two kinds of election campaigns. One is about ideas, the other about personalities. So far neither the Tories nor the Liberals have shown any great proclivity for developing ideas anyone wants to support. Neither has displayed any sense of vision or innovation which is likely to grip the country. Neither seems likely to remedy this any time soon.

That leaves personalities. Campaigns about personalities are always about who is better than who, which inevitably means who is worse than who. The Liberals have thus far (since Ignatieff became leader) had nothing to say about ideas and everything to say about how nasty Harper and his government was. I don't expect the Tories to do anything more than return the favour.

It would certainly be nice if one or the other of them brought up something like health care, and detailed, innovative ideas on how to remedy the problems with it. But that would require a degree of courage neither of them seem to possess.

Unless something changes, an upcoming election campaign will be best compared to howler monkeys throwing excrement at each other.