Omar Khdar

Topaz

Yet Canada can't even manage to repatriate him.....no reason to think he would fair any better there.

can’t manage? Well… yes… I can see why you might like to have the Harper Conservative governments ignoring of Canadian Court rulings overshadow the 7 years of U.S. “military justice” incompetence/diddling.

"Harper Conservatives" only date back to February 2006.....I leave the Liberal math to you.

well… yes… I expect you’d like to overshadow the earlier year influences of the 9/11 fevered Bush administration and the RCMP/CSIS involvements… influences and involvements that the Liberal government took its cue/direction from. As I said, “It’s the Harper Conservative government that’s been soundly rebuked by Canadian Courts, multiple times… it’s the Harper Conservative government that’s now appealing to the Supreme Court. It’s the Harper Conservative government that wears this Khardr case… on its own. And yes, it’s the Liberal Party calling for Khadr’s repatriation to Canada – to face due process within Canada. What are the Harper Conservatives afraid of?

• Replies 741
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

can’t manage? Well… yes… I can see why you might like to have the Harper Conservative governments ignoring of Canadian Court rulings overshadow the 7 years of U.S. “military justice” incompetence/diddling.

Nope...can't manage....regardless of ruling party. Talk about incompetence!

In Canada, Prime Minister Chretien was pilloried for helping a terrorist gain his freedom. Small wonder that when Omar Khadr showed up in jail on terrorism charges in October of 2002, Jean Chretien offered consular assistance but never asked for Khadr’s freedom. Neither the Liberal government of Paul Martin nor the current Conservative government of Stephen Harper have altered Chretien’s initial position, offering Omar Khadr consular services, but letting the US justice system do its work and perhaps asking for Khadr to be returned to Canada after his trial.

well… yes… I expect you’d like to overshadow the earlier year influences of the 9/11 fevered Bush administration and the RCMP/CSIS involvements… influences and involvements that the Liberal government took its cue/direction from.

Influences....LOL! Is your government always a victim of such cues and impotence? Hell, no wonder Arar easily bagged $10,000,000 + expenses.

As I said, “It’s the Harper Conservative government that’s been soundly rebuked by Canadian Courts, multiple times… it’s the Harper Conservative government that’s now appealing to the Supreme Court. It’s the Harper Conservative government that wears this Khardr case… on its own. And yes, it’s the Liberal Party calling for Khadr’s repatriation to Canada – to face due process within Canada. What are the Harper Conservatives afraid of?

The next election...any questions?

Edited by bush_cheney2004

the US Government has proven itself incapable of prosecuting Khadr since 2002… why should anyone have faith in the U.S. Government’s ability to bring the Khadr case to a conclusion on it’s own?

You disregard the fact that layers of appeals have been brought forward by the detainees in Guantanamo and by Khadr's lawyers specifically thereby delaying any eventual trials. Do you think Khadr should not have had access to all appeals open to him?

What are the Harper Conservatives afraid of?

What were Chretien and Martin afraid of when they allowed the US process take its course?

yes, some Canadians don’t agree with those advocating for Khadr’s repatriation to Canada… slightly more than the current Conservative polling numbers - per this recent Macleans poll – only 36% suggest Canada should not intervene on Khadr’s behalf.

All these polls show that Canadians are somewhat divided on what to do about Khadr. I think a growing number of Canadians are sick of hearing his name and just want him to go away.

perhaps some/more should accept the Canadian Bar Associations request to repatriate Khadr to Canada…

Why?

well… yes… I expect you’d like to overshadow the earlier year influences of the 9/11 fevered Bush administration and the RCMP/CSIS involvements… influences and involvements that the Liberal government took its cue/direction from. As I said, “It’s the Harper Conservative government that’s been soundly rebuked by Canadian Courts, multiple times… it’s the Harper Conservative government that’s now appealing to the Supreme Court. It’s the Harper Conservative government that wears this Khardr case… on its own. And yes, it’s the Liberal Party calling for Khadr’s repatriation to Canada – to face due process within Canada.

Influences....LOL! Is your government always a victim of such cues and impotence? Hell, no wonder Arar easily bagged $10,000,000 + expenses.

not sure why you would LOL at the direct influence your heroes Bush/Cheney held over the world after 9/11... nor the world's want/willingness to show empathy and play into that influence... as illegitimate and tarnished as it's proven itself to be.

and certainly, an Arar settlement was required/deserved... you can dicker about the exact details of the settlement... and the amount of the settlement with your Canadian hero/party - the Harper Conservatives.

What are the Harper Conservatives afraid of?
The next election...any questions?

yes, agreed - emphatically... the Harper Conservatives are very afraid of the next election... but, sorry... the question, of course, was in the context of Omar Khadr. So, again - what are the Harper Conservatives so afraid of (in the context of repatriating Omar Khadr to Canada to face "due process" within the Canadian justice system)?

not sure why you would LOL at the direct influence your heroes Bush/Cheney held over the world after 9/11... nor the world's want/willingness to show empathy and play into that influence... as illegitimate and tarnished as it's proven itself to be.

Nonsense....you can't crow about not going into Iraq while whining about "influence" on this matter. Canada is a sovereign nation...and acted like one except for Khdar?

and certainly, an Arar settlement was required/deserved... you can dicker about the exact details of the settlement... and the amount of the settlement with your Canadian hero/party - the Harper Conservatives.

Damn...that empathy / guilt gene is going to get very expensive....again.....and again.

yes, agreed - emphatically... the Harper Conservatives are very afraid of the next election... but, sorry... the question, of course, was in the context of Omar Khadr. So, again - what are the Harper Conservatives so afraid of (in the context of repatriating Omar Khadr to Canada to face "due process" within the Canadian justice system)?

The same thing Chretien and Martin were afraid of.....galloping votes.

Nonsense....you can't crow about not going into Iraq while whining about "influence" on this matter. Canada is a sovereign nation...and acted like one except for Khdar?

rightly so, Canada (Jean Chretien/Liberal Party) was not willing to join Bush's Iraqi debacle. Once the "shine" began to wear on that early Bush admin "influence", once Bush abandoned Afghanistan, once the world began to understand exactly what Quantanamo was about... the Khadr matter, as you say, presented itself for the Canadian government to action - or not, as is the case with the Harper Conservative challenges to Canadian Court rulings, disrespect for the Rule of Law and disregard for the interests of all Canadians abroad.

Damn...that empathy / guilt gene is going to get very expensive ....again.....and again.
not guilt... simply apologies and compensation for injustices endured - perhaps a foreign concept... to some

rightly so, Canada (Jean Chretien/Liberal Party) was not willing to join Bush's Iraqi debacle. Once the "shine" began to wear on that early Bush admin "influence", once Bush abandoned Afghanistan, once the world began to understand exactly what Quantanamo was about...

More revisionist history....Chretien and Canada couldn't do anything in Iraq even if they wanted to, and were maxed out just fighting the good fight in Afghanistan. The only shine came from the Liberals, who now regret even that.

the Khadr matter, as you say, presented itself for the Canadian government to action - or not, as is the case with the Harper Conservative challenges to Canadian Court rulings, disrespect for the Rule of Law and disregard for the interests of all Canadians abroad.

Good, then we agree that the former ruling party of Canada also abandoned Khdar by choice, irrespective of the court.

not guilt... simply apologies and compensation for injustices endured - perhaps a foreign concept... to some

Definitely guilt....how could the "best country in the world" do such things to its own citizens?

Guest American Woman
... the Khadr matter, as you say, presented itself for the Canadian government to action - or not, as is the case with the Harper Conservative challenges to Canadian Court rulings, disrespect for the Rule of Law and disregard for the interests of all Canadians abroad.

This is the attitude I don't get -- the idea that what Canada does regarding Khadr translates to "disrespect for all Canadians abroad," as if Khadr were simply "abroad" instead of caught fighting with the enemy.

Just because the Harper government is going to give the Obama government the opportunity to deal with this doesn't mean it's "disregarding the interests of all Canadians abroad;" only those caught fighting with the enemy.

Angry Liberal posters tend to forget - or ignore - that the Federal Court decision was somewhat split at 2 to 1 with the dissenting judge offering well-explained support for the government's actions. I wonder what they would say if the Supreme Court agrees with Harper. Since they value the "rule of law" so much, will they shut up? I doubt it.

"In my opinion, Canada has taken all necessary means at its disposal to protect Mr. Khadr during the whole period of his detention at Guantanamo Bay," Nadon wrote.

Nadon also agreed with the government's argument that O'Reilly went too far in placing the repatriation order.

"In my opinion, the remedy granted by (O'Reilly) exceeds the role of the Federal Court and is not within the power of the Court to grant," Nadon stated.

Link: http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Khadr+sh...3935/story.html

This is the attitude I don't get -- the idea that what Canada does regarding Khadr translates to "disrespect for all Canadians abroad," as if Khadr were simply "abroad" instead of caught fighting with the enemy....

I get it quite clearly.....Khdar is now just a pawn in a game of domestic politics running up to election. Otherwise they would go back to not giving a rat's ass about what happens to Khdar.

Guest American Woman
I get it quite clearly.....Khdar is now just a pawn in a game of domestic politics running up to election. Otherwise they would go back to not giving a rat's ass about what happens to Khdar.

I don't really know who Ezra Levant is, other than that he's a Canadian lawyer, but I came across this column written by him and found it interesting. Excerpt:

Other than those who lust for such a circus — lawyers of fortune who smell another Maher Arar-style payday; political crusaders who want to use Khadr to attack the war on terror; anti-American media hounds, etc. — who would want Khadr back? At any given moment, there are about a thousand Canadian citizens stranded in some way around the world. Take Huseyin Celil — a Muslim of Uyghur ethnicity who was designated a refugee by the United Nations and granted citizenship in Canada. While visiting family in Uzbekistan he was seized, spirited to China, and charged with “terrorism” — the Chinese euphemism for Tibetan and Uyghur political dissidents. Despite the requirements of the consular agreement between Canada and China, Canadian diplomats have not been allowed access to Celil, including to his sham trial. China simply refuses to acknowledge Celil’s Canadian citizenship.

Celil is a political prisoner, and Canada wants him back. And he’s Muslim to boot. What a shame that he had the misfortune of being detained in China, and not Guantanamo Bay. The brave press corps that chant for Khadr’s release couldn’t give a damn about Celil — he’s not useful to demonize the U.S. or its war on terror, and he doesn’t fit with the politically correct narrative of a benign China.

I don't really know who Ezra Levant is, other than that he's a Canadian lawyer, but I came across this column written by him and found it interesting. Excerpt:

Another excellent example. From convicted murderers in Mexico to child molesters in Thailand, there is no shortage of Canadians or pseudo-Canadians in trouble abroad, but Khdar sucks up most of the political bandwidth for obvious reasons.

That's NOT true. Why is he on trial anyway. How many other soldiers in this world have killed and didn't go on trial???? He's a born Canadian and therefore, no matter what Harper personally feels, Khadr should be brought home. A person is innocent until proven guilty and there isn't a clear guilty here!!

Another excellent example. From convicted murderers in Mexico to child molesters in Thailand, there is no shortage of Canadians or pseudo-Canadians in trouble abroad, but Khdar sucks up most of the political bandwidth for obvious reasons.

I think Harper is frighten of Muslims because of the past death-threatens. He has panic- attacks anyway, up the meds.

That's NOT true. Why is he on trial anyway. How many other soldiers in this world have killed and didn't go on trial???? He's a born Canadian and therefore, no matter what Harper personally feels, Khadr should be brought home. A person is innocent until proven guilty and there isn't a clear guilty here!!

Then why wait so long to demand and adjudicate for his "repatriation". Khdar has been at Gitmo for what.....SEVEN YEARS ? Half of Canadians don't ever want him back...not even in a box. Chretien and Martin didn't want him back either.

Then why wait so long to demand and adjudicate for his "repatriation". Khdar has been at Gitmo for what.....SEVEN YEARS ? Half of Canadians don't ever want him back...not even in a box. Chretien and Martin didn't want him back either.

Nobody really wants this scum back.............it is simply a Liberal ploy but it is backfiring against them

since as you say Half of Canada doesn t want him back dead or alive!!!

I want him back...but in the same form the the Ferengi handle their dead. Vacuum desiccation followed by reduction to powder. Then we could sell-off Omar in 52 individual collectors discs post-mortum. Make sure to look for the Ferengi Seal of Dismemberment endorsed on the Ferengi Futures Exchange.

From convicted murderers in Mexico to child molesters in Thailand, there is no shortage of Canadians or pseudo-Canadians in trouble abroad, but Khdar sucks up most of the political bandwidth for obvious reasons.

yes - the obvious reasons... like the media's want to showcase the errors of Bush's way in Guantanamo, or the human rights organizations that have lobbied strong on Khadr's behalf, or the media's want to showcase the failings of the Harper Conservatives in ignoring Court Rulings/Rule of Law, or the media savvy lawyers working on Khadr's behalf, or the...

Nobody really wants this scum back.............it is simply a Liberal ploy but it is backfiring against them since as you say Half of Canada doesn t want him back dead or alive!!!

although you are a one-trick pony, I'm not as bored with you today... 36% of Canadians suggest they prefer Canada leaves Khadr to American, uhhh... "justice" (yesterday's Macleans poll)

hey wulf... how do you reconcile your hatred for Muslims... all Muslims as you state... with Canada's participation in so-called Afghanistan "nation building" efforts? Or does your definition of "nation building" also include conversion to "enter your preferred non-Islamic religion here"? :lol:

Guest American Woman
although you are a one-trick pony, I'm not as bored with you today... 36% of Canadians suggest they prefer Canada leaves Khadr to American, uhhh... "justice" (yesterday's Macleans poll)

Another poll Conducted by Angus Reid Strategies for the Toronto Star shows 42% saying he should be brought back to Canada while 40% say he should remain in the States. As for whether he'd be treated fairly, 40% say he would be while 45% disagree. But 52% don't have sympathy for his plight while 38% do.

link

The article is dated Sept. 2, 2009.

yes - the obvious reasons... like the media's want to showcase the errors of Bush's way in Guantanamo, or the human rights organizations that have lobbied strong on Khadr's behalf, or the media's want to showcase the failings of the Harper Conservatives in ignoring Court Rulings/Rule of Law, or the media savvy lawyers working on Khadr's behalf, or the...

Bush is long gone, but he is more than happy to keep telling such bleeding hearts to kiss his ass...again. Khdar would be dead if it weren't for "Bush" and his "henchmen". :lol:

hey wulf... how do you reconcile your hatred for Muslims... all Muslims as you state... with Canada's participation in so-called Afghanistan "nation building" efforts? Or does your definition of "nation building" also include conversion to "enter your preferred non-Islamic religion here"? :lol:

For some reason you can t seem to separate Muslim EXTREMISTS from a Muslim...............i have no problem with ANYONE who comes to Canada that wants to live and assimulate into our culture...but if you are a muslim extremist and bring your hatred to Canada then you should be given the boot and sent packing .............such is the case with Omar and his family who have stated their hatred for the West and Canada..............why can t you seem to grasp the concept? let me guess your a bleeding heart Liberal?...........if so no explantation is warranted... ;)

Btw-this poll find Canadians split right down the middle!

According to this article more and more Canadians want him to stay put!

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/f...-for-khadr.aspx

http://www.thestar.com/specialsections/article/689740

Edited by wulf42