Canada's economy

A report out say Canada's economy isn't getting any better and the unemployed isn't either. As you reading the report you'll noticed 15,000 part timers lost their jobs and there is no EI for them are they forced to welfare were you and I both pay? If Tories don't realize that Canada won't be out of this recession until those almost 800,000 jobless find worker, we'll never get out of this recession. IF the Tories had been smart they would have brought back the Auto Pact, where if you sale in Canada you make it in Canada, but that probably goes against the Freee Trade Agreement and that's just another part of Mulroney's FT that Canadians got screwed. http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/reuters/090807/...us_economy_jobs

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IF the Tories had been smart they would have brought back the Auto Pact, where if you sale in Canada you make it in Canada, but that probably goes against the Freee Trade Agreement and that's just another part of Mulroney's FT that Canadians got screwed.

The LIBERALS got rid of the Auto Pact with the IMPLEMENTATION fo NAFTA. By then the rules were so watered down, that they were then challenged by Japanese Auto Makers and the Auto Pact was ruled in violation.

Content provisions were changed dramatically and 60% "Canadian Content" was changed by the Liberals to 50% North American Content, which included Mexico.

The Fact that the Liberals Campaigned against Free Trade, then implemented a Larger Free Trade agreement, and then embarked on Trade Agreements with South Korea etc. and that David Emmerson would switch parties to continue the Liberal dream... tells me you can blame the CPC all you want.

But my guess is you would vote Liberal and accept these trade agreements.

How many times do you need to be shown that is incorrect.

Well... this is the third time, I'm telling you to go back and read the rest of the page at the HRDC website, to find out what 'usually' means....

Qualifying isn't anything close to as easy as you say, and the folks who make up the part-time pool are those most likely to be in a position that 'usually' disqualifies them.

Well... this is the third time, I'm telling you to go back and read the rest of the page at the HRDC website, to find out what 'usually' means....

Qualifying isn't anything close to as easy as you say, and the folks who make up the part-time pool are those most likely to be in a position that 'usually' disqualifies them.

And that some do not qualify is irrelevant. Some full timers don't either. Work a year at 15 hours a week and you qualify. END. OF. STORY.

Edited by M.Dancer

And that some do not qualify is irrelevant. Some full timers don't either. Work a year at 15 hours a week and you qualify. END. OF. STORY.

Dancer, you may think its irrelevant but those people that have paid into EI and can't collect for whatever reasons, are being cheated and then are going to be forced to go on welfare and then YOU and all working people will see their EI premiums double, if not triple and taxes will go up when the case loads of welfare increases.

Dancer, you may think its irrelevant but those people that have paid into EI and can't collect for whatever reasons, are being cheated and then are going to be forced to go on welfare and then YOU and all working people will see their EI premiums double, if not triple and taxes will go up when the case loads of welfare increases.

I realize you have an opinion, but that doesn't mean you know what you are talking about.

If some one, after paying $95 IN A YEAR feels they deserve a years EI...well do the math. SOmeone working less than 15 hours a week for less than 1 year will go to welfare in anycase as their ei cheques will be around $60 a week....

Dancer, you may think its irrelevant but those people that have paid into EI and can't collect for whatever reasons, are being cheated

The only ting they are being cheated out of is the opportunity to fleece taxpayers. They get their contributions as an erarnings deduction when they dontheir taxes.

The only ting they are being cheated out of is the opportunity to fleece taxpayers. They get their contributions as an erarnings deduction when they dontheir taxes.

You don't get EI back on your return. As an ex-university student I paid thousands into EI working part time and never saw a cent back. That and CPP. If you don't pay anything labelled "income tax" on your paystub, you don't get it back. The most you get, at least in Ontario, is a 150 dollar school credit which is laughable.

You don't get EI back on your return. As an ex-university student I paid thousands into EI working part time and never saw a cent back. That and CPP. If you don't pay anything labelled "income tax" on your paystub, you don't get it back. The most you get, at least in Ontario, is a 150 dollar school credit which is laughable.

I call bullshit. You did not pay thousands working part time. The nannual MAXIMUM contribution is a little over $700.00 ..which you can deduct from your taxable earnings.

I have to assume your univesity courses weren't accounting.

A lot of temporary jobs being lost right now are summer students who are going back to school. With the Liberal plan - all these students, having worked 9 weeks, would be eligible to collect EI.

Damn I wish I had that kind of deal when I was a student!

A few things:

1) It is doubtful for a university student to be paying thousands and thousands of dollars into EI when one would have had to have earned at least $39,000 (in prior years - now days its around $44,000 or so) to then have the maximum for those years deducted (often in the $750-900 range depending on how far back in time we're talking about).

2) EI is not deducted from income on your tax return.

There is a tax credit for this so if you pay, say, $300 in EI then you may get income tax savings of about $60 (assuming your other tax credits don't wipe out your income taxes first).

3) People going back to university are rarely eligible to receive EI benefits based on their going back to school; regardless of how many hours they may be eligible for.

Lets step back here.

How does EI play into things with respect to the economy? Dealing with increases to EI or expanding the payment base does nothing to better the economy now does it. The fact is that EI costs money we don't have and we are now borrowing to pay it.

Look folks, why do we not simply convert EI into and education plan? Really, call it a student loan and have the graduated student pay it back once employed. The reality is that many if not all folks now losing their jobs will not return to the same position and will require new skills or at least additional training anyway. Why not create a growth industry out of education? Why not fund it with taxpayer loans repaid at interest?

We need to fix the economy, not pay people to not work!

Lets step back here.

How does EI play into things with respect to the economy? Dealing with increases to EI or expanding the payment base does nothing to better the economy now does it. The fact is that EI costs money we don't have and we are now borrowing to pay it.

Look folks, why do we not simply convert EI into and education plan? Really, call it a student loan and have the graduated student pay it back once employed. The reality is that many if not all folks now losing their jobs will not return to the same position and will require new skills or at least additional training anyway. Why not create a growth industry out of education? Why not fund it with taxpayer loans repaid at interest?

We need to fix the economy, not pay people to not work!

buddy, The conservatives stole 50 Billion out of EI. EI is more than well funded. This 50 Billion has been Mia for at least 7 years. Currently there is 800000 people collecting even at max it would last 3 years before being depleted. Not only has the 50 Billion stolen Canada owes EI 5% interest on that money for the seven years. That would work out to at 2.5 billion in interest. So add another 20 Billion to the 50 Billion.

Canada owes EI, 70 Billion dollars. That would equal 4 years before this money is depleted. Of course not everyone is going to get the maximum EI payout. So this stolen money would likely translate into more like 6 years.

It's the conservatives who did this to the economy. The only good conservative is unelected conservative.

It's very straight forward, number of qualifying hours in the 52 week window equals benefits. If you paid and you lost that job for reasons beyond you, you will get the money period. As for people paying into EI and not getting it, I challenge you to provide a specific example or scenario.

No, you do NOT! 780 hours is 130 hours short of the 910 hour threshold -- which is the pre-qualification.

How do I know this for a certainty? Because I fell into that 130 hour window. I worked a casual schedule for the same company for 6 years. At the beginning of the 6th year, switched from contract basis to payroll. My hours on payroll exceeded 780, but were too few to qualify me for EI!

That 910 hour prequalification was the reason why I was refused, and frankly, Rosebud, a careful reading of the 'usually' reference of the HRDC site would have saved me the PITA paperwork, and you the embarrassment of having been

rudely, and repeatedly wrong.

Edited by Molly

No, you do NOT! 780 hours is 130 hours short of the 910 hour threshold -- which is the pre-qualification.

How do I know this for a certainty? Because I fell into that 130 hour window. I worked a casual schedule for the same company for 6 years. At the beginning of the 6th year, switched from contract basis to payroll. My hours on payroll exceeded 780, but were too few to qualify me for EI!

That 910 hour prequalification was the reason why I was refused, and frankly, Rosebud, a careful reading of the 'usually' reference of the HRDC site would have saved me the PITA paperwork, and you the embarrassment of having been

Evading paying EI deductions is a prosecutable offence where the employer is liable to any CPP and EI not properely deducted. I doubt Revenue Canada could care less how you accumulate your income over a given week. The fact is money has to be paid to you or else I doubt you would stick around.

You have to file a complaint with Revenue Canada and HRDC telling them you worked and your income was not properley deducted and let them go after this employer for cheating you and the government out EI and CPP contributions.

If you purposely made arrangements to deceive revenue canada by pretending you were a business when in fact you were an employee for this employer you are just getting what you deserve. ;)

3) People going back to university are rarely eligible to receive EI benefits based on their going back to school; regardless of how many hours they may be eligible for.

Actually you can...you just can't collect while you are in school.

Works this way.

A friend worked every spring/summer at a driving range. She banked nearly every penny for school actually and got paid quite well. She alos worked part time during the school year for the university.

During the winter, the driving range closed down for good and she lost her summer job. She applied for UI (which it was back then) the day of her last class. She got some grief from the clerk but she had all her ducks in a row, knew the rules. She had not filed in the past year, her claim was less than 12 months old..etc etc.

She collected for about 3 weeks until she found another part time summer job.

She now sits on the Braidwood Taser Commision.

Then joyfully provide a cite darling...