Narrow focus of this board...

Bonam

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps because most of us have rooted for Israel since we were born, and we expected better of Israel. It was horrifying and really disappointing to see them murder civilians and children so callously.

Let's pretend you grew up in a small, walled, family compound. All around that compound were - Norwegians. The Norwegians, for no reason you could discern, hated you and your entire family. They were constantly throwing stones and bricks and bottles - and sometimes hand grenades over the walls so you had to be very careful every day whenever you stepped outside. They did everything they could, those Norwegians, to climb over the wall, to dig under it, to fly over it in baloons and hang gliders, or to float around it on the river side, wild-eyed, filled with hate, just praying to their God that they could get onto your side of the wall so they could kill you or anyone else in your family. And if they had to shoot down a jet, or blow up a boat, or a hotel or even die themselves to get at you, they were perfectly willing to do so.

All your life is like that. Whenever you go outside, they're waiting, watching, glaring, glowering, waiting for a chance to jump you, to stone you, to stab you, to strangle you. Lots of your family members are killed as you grow up, and then as an adult, you have to be one of those who helps guard the wall against those Norwegians.

Now how are you going to feel about Norwegians?

Let's pretend you grew up in a small, walled, family compound. All around that compound were - Norwegians. The Norwegians, for no reason you could discern, hated you and your entire family. They were constantly throwing stones and bricks and bottles - and sometimes hand grenades over the walls so you had to be very careful every day whenever you stepped outside. They did everything they could, those Norwegians, to climb over the wall, to dig under it, to fly over it in baloons and hang gliders, or to float around it on the river side, wild-eyed, filled with hate, just praying to their God that they could get onto your side of the wall so they could kill you or anyone else in your family. And if they had to shoot down a jet, or blow up a boat, or a hotel or even die themselves to get at you, they were perfectly willing to do so.

All your life is like that. Whenever you go outside, they're waiting, watching, glaring, glowering, waiting for a chance to jump you, to stone you, to stab you, to strangle you. Lots of your family members are killed as you grow up, and then as an adult, you have to be one of those who helps guard the wall against those Norwegians.

If you're human you hate them and want to kill them all back. If you're Canadian you want to embrace their distinct, equally valid culture.

Knowing Norwegians to be of unquestionable character, I'd wonder why they hated me so much and do all I could to change my ways.

Or I'd assume they were a bunch of berserkers and do what I could to cut off their supply of aquavit.

A few questions Tango if you don't mind;

What do you admire about Israel and what did you admire about it and then stopped?

Why did you stop rooting for Israel and when?

I never rooted for Israel to the exclusion of others. Rather, I hoped Israel would be able to rise above the conflict, not become the oppressor itself, and establish a peaceful homeland among its neighbours.

Israel has failed, imo.

Given that Hamas attacks from the midst of their own people and then hides among same, how would expect Israel to stop them from murdering their own people?

Why do you consider collateral casualties murder when it is not deliberate but done in the course of taking out militants hiding amongst the population?

Unless you can point me to indisputable evidence from Palestinians that this occurred, those are not 'givens' but perhaps bias and defamation. What if Palestinians voluntarily shield their soldiers among them? Do you know?

What do you think of Israeli soldiers' orders to shoot anyone they found in a house in Gaza, including children?

There's enough atrocity to go around, and none of it gains my sympathies.

The way forward from here is my interest, and it cannot be based on tit-for-tat grievances as that will go on forever, as we see in our discussions here.

I really do not give a damn who did what to whom in the past: That's for an international court to sort out, not me. However, I do care that no atrocity like Israel's recent attack on Gaza ever happen again.

Ineffectual 'rocket fire' be damned: Israel's response was far out of proportion to any threat from Gaza.

I never rooted for Israel to the exclusion of others. Rather, I hoped Israel would be able to rise above the conflict, not become the oppressor itself, and establish a peaceful homeland among its neighbours.

Israel has failed, imo.

You said

Perhaps because most of us have rooted for Israel since we were born, and we expected better of Israel. It was horrifying and really disappointing to see them murder civilians and children so callously.

So as O asked; Why did you stop rooting for Israel and when?

Unless you can point me to indisputable evidence from Palestinians that this occurred, those are not 'givens' but perhaps bias and defamation. What if Palestinians voluntarily shield their soldiers among them? Do you know?

Hamas attacks from Gaza, not Israel, hence, they attack from the midst of their own people in a crowded space that only somebody willing to put their own population at risk would do. And yes, Palestinians do voluntarily shield their soldiers. Hamas does nothing to dissuade these actions and in fact actively encourages it and even announces on tv where people may go to be more effective in this action.

What do you think of Israeli soldiers' orders to shoot anyone they found in a house in Gaza, including children?

Provide the link for this please. All I heard was a shoot first policy with the caveat not to shoot innocents.

There's enough atrocity to go around, and none of it gains my sympathies.

Of course not, that's why you rooted for Israel at one point but can't tell us when or why you turned and now hate them and only point out their perceived atrocities as you state below.

I really do not give a damn who did what to whom in the past: That's for an international court to sort out, not me. However, I do care that no atrocity like Israel's recent attack on Gaza ever happen again.
Ineffectual 'rocket fire' be damned: Israel's response was far out of proportion to any threat from Gaza.

Well, they had asked for Hamas to stop nicely many times, but rockets kept coming down on their civilians.

Your fake neutrality is a joke. :lol:

...I really do not give a damn who did what to whom in the past: That's for an international court to sort out, not me. However, I do care that no atrocity like Israel's recent attack on Gaza ever happen again.

Either way, what you care about is irrelevant to the principals involved. It will happen again.

It was supposed to be....got it?

It was supposed to be....got it?
Dear General Zhukov, Jan. 22nd, 1945

Since we only have 500,000 old men and teens plus a smattering of SS men guarding Berlin, I'll have to remind you at this time to keep your military response proporsional. Please keep the following Guard Tank Armies out of the battle....(list follows).

Thank you for your cooperation;

Yours,

Generalfeldmarschall Keitel OKW

Let's pretend you grew up in a small, walled, family compound. All around that compound were - Norwegians. The Norwegians, for no great reason you could discern, hated you and your entire family. They were constantly throwing stones and bricks and bottles - and sometimes hand grenades over the walls so you had to be very careful every day whenever you stepped outside. They did everything they could, those Norwegians, to climb over the wall, to dig under it, to fly over it in baloons and hang gliders, or to float around it on the river side, wild-eyed, filled with hate, just praying to their God that they could get onto your side of the wall so they could kill you or anyone else in your family. And if they had to shoot down a jet, or blow up a boat, or a hotel or even die themselves to get at you, they were perfectly willing to do so.

I fixed it for you, because under the premise "no reason you could discern", it is clearly not analagous.

I fixed it for you, because under the premise "no reason you could discern", it is clearly not analagous.

Yes, being a Jew is a terrible crime. Can't have those sort of people buying land off you even if you did sell it and then inviting their families even when threatened with extermination.

Wondering why it isn't the same with Blacks, Hispanics, Asians and Slavs with the left. Only Jews.

Yes, being a Jew is a terrible crime. Can't have those sort of people buying land off you even if you did sell it and then inviting their families even when threatened with extermination.

Wondering why it isn't the same with Blacks, Hispanics, Asians and Slavs with the left. Only Jews.

An ancient blood libel. Most aren't even aware on a conscience level. A Mexican didn't rat out on the Lord.