Rare win-win?

That's the headline in the CP News story going out in print and radio.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianp...cNs9EXKPJlvJTcg

Harper gets at least another summer as prime minister of Canada, with all the power, prestige and tactical opportunities the position affords.

Ignatieff can claim influence on Employment Insurance reforms, along with the double-edged opportunity to bring the Conservative minority down again come September when his party may be better prepared.

And Canadians at large, facing the worst recession in a generation, avoid their second federal election in nine months.

As the article points out, the NDP are left on the sidelines. Again.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not if one the leaders names a representative with NDP leanings to the panel. That would be one way to attract swing voters from the NDP.

(Ugh, panel. It's a committee is all it is. I guess that's to differentiate it from a Commons Committee.)

As they should be.

They are there in case we are forgetful - like making sure the dog has water ...or making sure we don't forget the kid that is hungry...or making sure that the little things are taken care of in society - IF the little things go askew - then the big stuff tumbles down - you have to have the detail people in place and that is all the NDP are good for - much like dogs that let you know that a bee has flown into the room and might land on the babies nose.. :rolleyes: Just don't give the NDPer the right to fix things - he will smack the bee and sting the baby - a wise conservative allows the bee to leave and the baby to sleep.

Not if one the leaders names a representative with NDP leanings to the panel. That would be one way to attract swing voters from the NDP.

That Harper is so clever.

(Ugh, panel. It's a committee is all it is. I guess that's to differentiate it from a Commons Committee.)

I think it is called a panel because unlike a committee, it doesn't include NDP and BQ and will work through the summer.

It's not a win-win. It's a win-lose in favor of the idiot Harper. He gave Iggy a way to back out of his grandstanding without going to election. The Liberals were hoping that Steve would back down and cower, but instead he did nothing. The "stimulus review" was already planned, and the EI "panel" means the square root of f**k all.

Iggy got lucky that Harper didn't decide to call his bullshit bluff.

And the two power behemoths go on trading their meaningless pas in the neverending dance around the sugar cone. Another commission that "can't promise any results", an outstanding achievement!

What the country really needs is a reform of electoral system. As a matter of fact, I'm starting to seriously consider this idea: myself & call on anybody interested, to never again vote for Liberals until they commit to supporting the electoral reform & bringing in some form of proportional system. If that would cause them lose some elections, even to the dreadful Harper, so be it, longterm benefit to the country would by far outweigh these minor setbacks.

If Harper commits to an electoral reform (with some way to hold him to the promise, which he would have to think up, and work very hard to convince us of any credibility), I'll vote for his party that one time. Because it'd be in the best interests of the country.

If Harper commits to an electoral reform (with some way to hold him to the promise, which he would have to think up, and work very hard to convince us of any credibility), I'll vote for his party that one time. Because it'd be in the best interests of the country.

The best interests of this nation can be served by adopting a republican form of government. Let the people choose their own leader. Have term limits to office. Have a system of recall for representatives. Have fixed election dates. These things would best serve Canadians.

Plus, some form of electoral system that would ensure that legislature actually reflects the opinions in the country. Why would a party with 20% of votes be reduced to meaningless hanful representation? Why a political begemoth with less than 50% of votes should be getting nearly all of representation in the house? We aren't 18th century political infants anymore to be democrtically guided that way. We know who we want to vote for, and we have the right to make our opinion count, and be heard!

Let's look closer at this great "win-win": first, Iggy goes somewhere and threatens an election. Then he goes somewhere else, and signs a pointless paper to avoid the election. Wow! What a terribly smart move (no, not for the country itself, it's gotten nothing, nada, no election that it didn't want anyways, and yet another "commission to study" that'd hopefully chip us for less than a milllion $$ - at least I'm hopeful) but to keep Iggy in the view, while him not doing anything for it.

It's not a win-win. It's a win-lose in favor of the idiot Harper. He gave Iggy a way to back out of his grandstanding without going to election. The Liberals were hoping that Steve would back down and cower, but instead he did nothing. The "stimulus review" was already planned, and the EI "panel" means the square root of f**k all.

Iggy got lucky that Harper didn't decide to call his bullshit bluff.

I agree for the most part but I'd call it a lose-lose. Harper comes off looking like he can be cowed and Ignatieff comes off looking like he's all talk no action.

Hydraboss is correct, really this "compromise" didn't achieve anything that wasn't already planned. Other than the committee which will do SFA to resolve the issue in time for the folks that need it.

This reminds me of the US elections. They only have two parties and so each one knows if one is in government, the other one will take over down the road. Here in Canada , even though we 4 parties, the Bloc doesn't count, and both Libs and Cons, keep running down the NDP so people don't vote and put them even in a minority government. So, that leaves Canada with just two parties and I don't think that is a good thing for Canada. Today, it looks like we have two parties in the PMO and the only good thing about that is maybe we could go along time without a election if Harper and Iggy become united and do each other favours and get what they want and question period is just for show. If Iggy wants the PMO, then he better start showing more leadership in Sept. It wouldn't surprise me, if voters from Ontario to the Martimes, got sick of the games these two parties are playing and put in a minority NDP in the next election just to say, nothing is for sure for you two!

This reminds me of the US elections. They only have two parties and so each one knows if one is in government, the other one will take over down the road. Here in Canada , even though we 4 parties, the Bloc doesn't count, and both Libs and Cons, keep running down the NDP so people don't vote and put them even in a minority government. So, that leaves Canada with just two parties and I don't think that is a good thing for Canada. Today, it looks like we have two parties in the PMO and the only good thing about that is maybe we could go along time without a election if Harper and Iggy become united and do each other favours and get what they want and question period is just for show. If Iggy wants the PMO, then he better start showing more leadership in Sept. It wouldn't surprise me, if voters from Ontario to the Martimes, got sick of the games these two parties are playing and put in a minority NDP in the next election just to say, nothing is for sure for you two!

I doubt that would happen in Ontario, there is a very bad stigma still pervading the provincial NDP. Many people felt the NDP provincial goverment was a disaster and if you're from around here you'll be familliar with the phrase "Rae Days". Most of Ontario isn't fond of the NDP after Rae's term.

Who knows though stranger things have happened. After all Ontarians aren't much fonder of Mike Harris' conservatives but take a look at the federal cabinent and many of the former provincial PC ministers are now federal CPC ministers.

Hardly say it's a win-win result. I'm not sure I can understand Canadian politics correctly, but usually in a critical period such as an economic down turn, people likes to choose decisive-liked political leaders, not shilly-shally bookish scholars. Just as one of two plane's engines fails in air, passengers want the pilot telling them "don't warry, we still have another engine and I can manage it." not "if there is no wind, no thunderstorm, no mountains ahead we may be safe." though the second state may be telling the truth. Harper is using the same tactic he has defeated Dion to defeat Ignatieff--making him like an irresolute political leader and turning some voters who like more decisive leadership but don't like Harper to NDP to divide Liberal's votes.

:unsure:

Edited by xul

Hardly say it's a win-win result. I'm not sure I can understand Canadian politics correctly, but usually in a critical period such as an economic down turn, people likes to choose decisive-liked political leaders, not shilly-shally bookish scholars. Just as one of two plane's engines fails in air, passengers want the pilot telling them "don't warry, we still have another engine and I can manage it." not "if there is no wind, no thunderstorm, no mountains ahead we may be safe." though the second state may be telling the truth. Harper is using the same tactic he has defeated Dion to defeat Ignatieff--making him like an irresolute political leader and turning some voters who like more decisive leadership but don't like Harper to NDP to divide Liberal's votes.

:unsure:

I suppose that is a fair view of things, but I don't think it will work this time.

And the two power behemoths go on trading their meaningless pas in the neverending dance around the sugar cone. Another commission that "can't promise any results", an outstanding achievement!

Ultimately, all decisions have to go through Parliament anyway. If the commission does find a solution, it will go to a vote in the House.

Given that the NDP votes no on everything, I expect that even if the EI reform was the exact wording of what they wanted, they would still vote no.

What the country really needs is a reform of electoral system. As a matter of fact, I'm starting to seriously consider this idea: myself & call on anybody interested, to never again vote for Liberals until they commit to supporting the electoral reform & bringing in some form of proportional system. If that would cause them lose some elections, even to the dreadful Harper, so be it, longterm benefit to the country would by far outweigh these minor setbacks.

Open the Constitution and it will tear the country up again. No one will want to focus on just a few areas. It will be the entire Constitution opened up. And before you think it is a good idea, consider the competing visions out there. If you think a minority government is dysfunctional, consider the dysfunction of trying to get an amendment through Canada.