One to beam up

M.Dancer

Speaking of Trekkies, the latest theatrical release in Paramount's Star Trek franchise has spawned a renewed interest in the original series, not that interest ever waned very much based on multiple VHS and DVD versions of the episodes. Some American TV stations are promoting the new film (ad revenue) by airing the latest HD renderings with CGI "improvements" of the special effects on digital channels. The Blu-Ray versions have also hit the street.

William Shatner, a dramatic Shakespearean actor from Montreal, has immortalized himself as Captain James T. Kirk. My wife glimpsed at "Kirk" in all his digital wide screen glory and insisted that I share the DVDs! America, if not the world, loves this guy/character, even as he pitches cheesy online travel booking ads today. Shatner is 78 years old (??) and still going strong whether it be Boston Legal or Priceline.com.

Now I am old enough to remember Shatner from much earlier work, like Twlight Zone (airline companies didn't appreciate his over the top performance). Shatner remains a Canadian citizen as far as I know, but Americans will still salute him in TV Land. May he live long and prosper.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

A 'red shirt' to boot. Doesn't he know he's doomed in the first 10 minutes of the episode?

:lol:

I saw it last Wednesday. At the first scene showing everyone going in and out of Starfleet HQ I burst out in laughter.

EVERYONE was in red! :lol:

Oh boy, I thought. There's a LOT of folks gonna get it in this one!

• 1 month later...

It was a fun movie, but damned silly. "There's a crisis on Vulcan..... all you cadets go! Go take those shiny new ships out there and take over!"

I mean, where were all the officers? You have a multi trillion credit or whatever starship and you're going to put a 17 year old cadet who barely scraped past his ESL class in the drivers seat? Huh!? You pull in some vagabond scotsman from a snowy hole of a post and suddenly he's chief engineer. What, there wasn't a chief engineer before? And James Kirk spends three years at the academy and after a little heroics they give him command of the ship?! Uhmmmm, okay. Suuuuuure. That'd happen.

I mean, what is this, the good ship Liberal?

It was a fun movie, but damned silly. "There's a crisis on Vulcan..... all you cadets go! Go take those shiny new ships out there and take over!"

I mean, where were all the officers? You have a multi trillion credit or whatever starship and you're going to put a 17 year old cadet who barely scraped past his ESL class in the drivers seat? Huh!? You pull in some vagabond scotsman from a snowy hole of a post and suddenly he's chief engineer. What, there wasn't a chief engineer before? And James Kirk spends three years at the academy and after a little heroics they give him command of the ship?! Uhmmmm, okay. Suuuuuure. That'd happen.

I mean, what is this, the good ship Liberal?

The main purpose of this movie was to 'reboot' Star Trek. What with all the many series that have been made the overall story line has become very complex and the need to maintain continuity makes it dofficult to make anything new - and probably requires too much exposition and so makes it dull. The reboot resets the storyline by creating an alternate timeline. Now anything that is made can be fresh - and doesn't need to zip up with hundreds of episodes from different series and all the other movies. All it needs to do is capture the 'essence' of the characters and the series and present them in a fresh way for a contemporary audience.

It does seem a bit weird that they all get out of their last year in the academy and so quickly gain senior positions on the Federation Flagship. But I guess that is a problem created by wanting to make a prequel. Its interesting to make a backstory for all the old favourites - Kirk, Bones, Spock, Uhura, Scotty et al. However those characters are already popular within the roles that they occupied in the series. I don't think an audience of trek fans would have been patient with them taking a couple of movies or more to work their way up the ranks. The audience is already sold on Kirk as captain and Scotty as chief engineer etc (btw you get to see the previous Chief Engineer die in the movie - I think you missed it).

It does seem a bit weird that they all get out of their last year in the academy and so quickly gain senior positions on the Federation Flagship. But I guess that is a problem created by wanting to make a prequel.

Uhm, no, the problem is lazy writing. It wouldn't have taken a lot of alterations to make it seem more believable. You didn't have to have Kirk step out of the equivilant of boot camp and right into the captain's chair. Anyone who has spent much time reading/watching military SF or just plane mlitary adventures - or military histories, would just shake their head and laugh in diesbelief at that - which I and my buddy did.

Anyway, I did like it, but not as much as I've liked other ST movies. Kirk is kind of unbelieavable. He was always brash, but not a lunatic - physically attacking the security guards when Spock wouldn't listen to him?! And Spock basically booting him off the ship!? What, there's no brig on the ship!? That's just cheap ass, lazy writing.