Habs Fans Boo American Anthem

Well, you can always tell when it's hockey playoff season....the Americans and their anthem get booed:

Bob Gainey has appealed to Montreal Canadiens fans to stop booing the U.S. national anthem.

The Canadiens coach and general manager said fans who booed during Star-Spangled Banner ahead of Game 3 of their playoff series against the Boston Bruins should find other ways to voice their support.

"I feel like there's a confusion there with our fans," Gainey said Tuesday. "They feel like booing the anthem is supporting our team, in that the anthem represents the Boston team.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/story/20...bs-cp-0421.html

Meanwhile, back at the Washington DC ranch, Obama's Homeland Security Sec'y Janet Napolitano repeated the myth that some terrorists entered the US from Canada.! Amazing. (Wasn't Ahmed Ressam a terrorist?)

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...?hub=TopStories

Now that will sure help to quiet the booing, huh?

Bruins in 5.

Well, you can always tell when it's hockey playoff season....the Americans and their anthem get booed:

Bob Gainey has appealed to Montreal Canadiens fans to stop booing the U.S. national anthem.

The Canadiens coach and general manager said fans who booed during Star-Spangled Banner ahead of Game 3 of their playoff series against the Boston Bruins should find other ways to voice their support.

"I feel like there's a confusion there with our fans," Gainey said Tuesday. "They feel like booing the anthem is supporting our team, in that the anthem represents the Boston team.

Meanwhile, back at the Washington DC ranch, Obama's Homeland Security Sec'y Janet Napolitano repeated the myth that some terrorists entered the US from Canada.! Amazing. (Wasn't Ahmed Ressam a terrorist?)

Bruins in 5.

Booing a national anthem because the opposing team is based in another country. That was already stupid when St. Louis Blues fans interrupted the Canadian national anthem a few days before. Or each and every time New York Rangers fans were chanting "Devils suck" during the playing of their anthemn.

Now, someething worthwhile to comment about?

Bruins in 5.

Very rude to boo anyone's national anthem. My distant apologies.

She just f**ked up...I think she meant...as her people confirm...Ressam. That being said, though...we (Canada) are a piece of swiss cheese to terrorists and such. That's just a given. As mentioned in another thread, several of my US military friends (not you...yet :lol: ) refer to Canada as Canuckistan. I doubt they picked that up because Canada is well known for its falafels and camels. Well...maybe the camels.

That being said, though...we (Canada) are a piece of swiss cheese to terrorists and such. That's just a given.

It's not just Canada...any western country is. Freedom and security are always a delicate balance.

Very rude to boo anyone's national anthem. My distant apologies....

Thanks, but no offense taken! Some Hab fans have been doing this for a while, and even booed their own captain a few years back after recovering from cancer (Saku Koivu). Apparently many of the fans, tired of such classless displays, tried to drown out the boo birds with "Go Habs Go!". American fans have also done it at other venues, but my experience at Wild or Twins games has only been an expectation of silent respect during the Canadian anthem.

This is from Game #7 last year:

As an interesting aside, major league baseball players Justin Morneau and Matt Stairs are marketed as Canadian "thunder" to fans delight.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

I have family on both sides of the 49th. Wife's half Yankee, as well. Or is that Reb?

:)

On Sunday I was wrapping a tree with burlap to discourage further sapsucker damage, and my neighbor (from Canada) came over to find out what the hell I was doing. I told her about seasonal bird damage and their migratory fly-away from the US south to Canada in Spring, and she joked defensively, "Oh sure, blame it on Canada!".

My brother-in-law is Canadian....from Montreal.

When asked if she was referring to the 9-11 terrorists, Napolitano added: "Not just those but others as well."

Seems to me that she was not "misunderstood".

Seems to me she 'mis-spoke'.

Seems to me they picked the wrong PR spin word. :lol:

But that's ok if most Americans think Canadians export terrorists.

Most Canadians think 9/11 was at least partly an inside job.

And maybe if they think we've got a secret stash of terrorists up here, Americans will try harder not to piss us off.

:lol:

Edited by tango

BC2004:and my neighbor (from Canada) came over to find out what the hell I was doing...My brother-in-law is Canadian....from Montreal.

Out here in LaLa Land, we have stange mixes of US and Canadians re: the Gulf Islands and oddities like Pt Roberts. A fold in the survey map, apparently. The only difference between Friday Harbor and Salt Spring Island I could tell openly was YOUR hippies had guns.

tango: Seems to me she 'mis-spoke'.

I agree.

Out here in LaLa Land, we have stange mixes of US and Canadians re: the Gulf Islands and oddities like Pt Roberts. A fold in the survey map, apparently. The only difference between Friday Harbor and Salt Spring Island I could tell openly was YOUR hippies had guns.

tff

I agree.

;)

Unfortunate that the Napolitano has been trumped by booing fans. I'd save all my boos for her.

Not only does her set of (false) assumptions threaten trade, but if North American security is in her hands-- and we are relatively unprotected from threats arising in and throught the actions of the US-- I'd prefer she was well-informed and *ahem* competent.

Is the booing not a response to the Booing of the Canadian anthem in Boston last week? Where was the outerage in that?

Did that happen? Since when do Montreal fans need an excuse to boo something? Montreal fans boo everything. They boo their own players. Booing their 21 year old goaltender and throwing garbage on the ice. Embarrassing performance by the team, but equally embarrassing by the fans. What a bunch of crybabies. I wouldn't be surprised if they riot tonight.

Happy Centennial, crybabies. Hope you enjoyed the All-Star Game.

In 2006, San Jose Sharks fans booed the Canadian anthem during their series against Edmonton. When the series returned to Edmonton, the Oiler fans responded by singing along and cheering the American anthem.

Bruins in 5.

Well, you look like quite the fool now, don't you. ;)

5 All-Stars and they couldn't even win a game in the opening round? Looooo-sers.

-k

In 2006, San Jose Sharks fans booed the Canadian anthem during their series against Edmonton. When the series returned to Edmonton, the Oiler fans responded by singing along and cheering the American anthem. -k

Same deal here in Toronto during the series with the Islanders in 2002ish I think??