Ignatieff has 'big' vision for Canada

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know how we'll pay for all of it...but...I like it. I think he really gets what we need....these would be very good things economically and collectively for Canada.

Vision Smision. The problem with the media and some posters is that they don't really seem to know what "vision" really means. All sorts of studies have been done on a high-speed rail link from Windsor through Toronto and Montreal to Quebec....it's been going on for 20 years and nobody can figure out how to make it work - and this is the largest corridor in Canada......and people really WANTED to have one. So other links are just pie in the sky. As for a 4 lane Trans Canada highway - I'm not aware that there is much of the highway that is NOT 4 lane.....and I thought the tree-huggers wanted to get the cars and trucks off the road anyway. As for an East West electricity grid......that's always been a good idea - it's not Ignatieff's vision - he's just another guy who is talking about an old idea - I'm sure our current government already has a study underway (another one). National Energy Strategy? It's frustrating to hear someone use such an ambiguous term - what is he talking about? Even he doesn't know. He'll tell the tree huggers that they'll be lots of studies for wind and solar, that's for sure. He's already told Alberta how important oil is. He's already said he's OK with nuclear. Recycled ideas and platitudes.

Edited by Keepitsimple

Also, how is it that politicians always get lost in these exciting and glamorous grand schemes, but always forget the boring but essential basics?

Just to take an example. In 2006, Statistics Canada showed that only 15% of Canadians knew both official languages. In Quebec, 45% knew English. In Nunavut, 8% knew neither English nor French!

You can build all the fancy stuff you want, but if after over a century of existence this country has not even been able to write an efficient second-language teaching policy to ensure a common language for all Canadians, how in the world can we expect this nation to still exist next century? According to one article on the Statistics Canada website that I was reading recently, among the young, there has been little improvement in the rate of official bilingualism. And this in spite of some estimates that we are spendig aobut 16 billion dollars a year of official bilingualism!

Honestly, we're talking about building this and that when we can even talk to each other. The nation is segregated and balkanized, unless of course you know a few languages.

I realise that speaking about second-language teaching policy might be boring, cetainly not the most exciting topic in town. But it's basic, it's elementary. We can't even speak to one another. how about this for a vision, that we'll commit to reforming our language policies to ensure that the next generation of Canadians will share a common language. It can be a common second language, that's fine. But at least a common language of come kind. It's time, after over a century, that we move beyond being strangers to one another.

There are large sections in BC and Ontario and smaller sections in Nova Scotia and Quebec (on the mainland).

In BC, much of the Trans Canada that isn't 4 lane is in mountainous areas where just building 2 lanes was a monumental challenge. You'd be talking about literally drilling more tunnels straight through mountains, and blasting millions of tons of rock away. The cost would be unbelievable. Just the cost of improving the safety of the two lane route through mountainous regions has been exorbitant; there remain many areas where the safety of the existing route is unsatisfactory.

You'd also be talking about major construction through some of Canada's most beloved National Parks and Provincial Parks.

I drove my mighty Reliant on the Trans Canada when my family returned west from Ottawa about 8 years ago, and I recall that the route around the Great Lakes was filled with similar obstacles (though on a smaller scale.)

I recall that we set out from Ottawa and spent our first night in Nipigon, and slept in Brandon the following night. I don't believe it is the shortage of lanes that diminishes road travel between east and west, I believe it is the sheer length of the trip.

-k

I realise that speaking about second-language teaching policy might be boring, cetainly not the most exciting topic in town. But it's basic, it's elementary. We can't even speak to one another. how about this for a vision, that we'll commit to reforming our language policies to ensure that the next generation of Canadians will share a common language. It can be a common second language, that's fine. But at least a common language of come kind. It's time, after over a century, that we move beyond being strangers to one another.

Bilingualism in Canada doesn't necessarily mean that everyone speaks both languages. It means that people that know either language can get access to governmental services anywhere they live.

Sure. :rolleyes:

Edited by tango

A bunch of the northern Ontario route has been solved, Kimmy, and work is plowing ahead on more of it. About darned time, though, that stretch was made closer to anytime passable.

Sheer distance will always be something of a barrier, but failure to have a decent land-link from end-to end? How rediculous is that! The east/west solitudes SHOULD be a serious national embarrassment. (North/south, too.) If we dare think of ourselves as a nation, then maybe we should make some effort to mingle a little- maybe share a little commerce.

In BC, much of the Trans Canada that isn't 4 lane is in mountainous areas where just building 2 lanes was a monumental challenge.

I realize...the Trans Canada is something I study very often. That said, the 4 lane highway is already being Extended through the mountains...around Pritchard, Salmon Arm, Golden, and in Alberta, Banff is now being finished. With Banff finished, that only leaves 2 national parks to go...and they will eventually be done.

I realize...the Trans Canada is something I study very often. That said, the 4 lane highway is already being Extended through the mountains...around Pritchard, Salmon Arm, Golden, and in Alberta, Banff is now being finished. With Banff finished, that only leaves 2 national parks to go...and they will eventually be done.

Sounds like Ignatieff's "vision" has already been envisioned.

I'm sure it has....but he has the power to set it in motion...besides...I would rate our current Prime Minister as having 0 vision.

Vision is having Canada actually play a role in the world - as opposed to mouthing platitudes and having a continually "nuanced" approach that takes a stand on nothing. It's re-connecting in a meaningful way with the Carribean and South America. It's making long overdue changes to cfitizenship so that people take citizenship seriously and understand the benefits AND the responisibilities of being Canadian. Failing to do that led to almost 100,000 "Canadians" that had to be evacuated from Lebanon. Nothing unites a country more than having it's citizens steadfastly put Canada first. A vision is breaking down trade barriers between provinces. A vision is paying serious attention to our Northern frontier. A vision is investing in our Military that forms the core of our committment to peace and security around the world. Canada has taken so much for granted over the past 20 years......I want to feel proud to be Canadian again - and I'm starting feel that by what we are doing... and what we are standing for on the world stage. You cannot please all of the people all of the time and trying to do so only waters down the basic principles that we should stand for. Only yesterday, Obama followed Canada's lead in boycotting the UN Human Rights Conference. Open your eyes and you will see a vision unfolding.

I want to feel proud to be Canadian again - and I'm starting feel that by what we are doing...

I won't stop being proud of this country because of a few changes that we've made. We have never tried to please all people and we have taken stands on many things under many governments. I'm proud of this country today, I was proud if it yesterday, and I'll be proud of it tomorrow. I used to like Stephen Harper. Not anymore.

Vision is having Canada actually play a role in the world - as opposed to mouthing platitudes and having a continually "nuanced" approach that takes a stand on nothing. It's re-connecting in a meaningful way with the Carribean and South America.

Harper didn't do that. He pissed them off and they are calling him another "Bush." Read up. Now...Obama is a person that is reconnecting in a meaningful way. Even Colombians are saying that if the free trade deal is put into law for them, Canada will be hated as much as the U.S. by them.

Vision is having Canada actually play a role in the world

If you mean interpersonal, I fully agree. That can be achieved through freer trade, freer movement of labour, more visa exemptions, and more transparent borders overall. It could also be achieved through more tax deductions to charities (or, alternatively, tax reductions). This might increase access to funds on the part of various organizations like UNICEF.

If, however, you mean a more impersonal role through big government, then no thanks.

- as opposed to mouthing platitudes and having a continually "nuanced" approach that takes a stand on nothing.

A stand on nothing is not necessarilya bad thing if it means smaller government.

A vision is breaking down trade barriers between provinces.

Definitely. Interprovincial trade barriers make Canada a laughing stock on the international stage. Not only trade barriers, but barriers to movemen of labour too. Did you know that it's easier for certain professionals in Europe to find work across their national borders than if is for some Canadian nurses to cross our provincial boundaries to find work? It's shameful!

A vision is paying serious attention to our Northern frontier.

In what sense?

A vision is investing in our Military that forms the core of our committment to peace and security around the world.

To fulfil our UN mandates? I fully agree. But no more than that. We have big enough government as it is.

Canada has taken so much for granted over the past 20 years......I want to feel proud to be Canadian again - and I'm starting feel that by what we are doing... and what we are standing for on the world stage. You cannot please all of the people all of the time and trying to do so only waters down the basic principles that we should stand for. Only yesterday, Obama followed Canada's lead in boycotting the UN Human Rights Conference. Open your eyes and you will see a vision unfolding.

Now boycotting UN conferences is not a good idea. Obama has obviously already forgotten Reagan's and Thatcher's gaffe. They'd withdrawn their membership from UNESCO ecause they didn't like the direction UNESCO was moving in. Needless to say, UNESCO saw it as a new-found freedom, forcing both the UK and the US to rejoin just to regain the little control they had before, figuring that little control was better than none at all.

Are we about to repeat the same mistake?

Now boycotting UN conferences is not a good idea. Obama has obviously already forgotten Reagan's and Thatcher's gaffe. They'd withdrawn their membership from UNESCO ecause they didn't like the direction UNESCO was moving in. Needless to say, UNESCO saw it as a new-found freedom, forcing both the UK and the US to rejoin just to regain the little control they had before, figuring that little control was better than none at all.

Are we about to repeat the same mistake?

The USA didn't return to UNESCO until 2003....after significant organizational changes. It was not forced to do so, and together with the UK and Singapore, achieved the desired results.

Did somebody ask about "the book"?

The 'big' vision was found inside the book. It said as much in the original story. The interview dealing with the book reveals a great deal about the man. Other than that, I don't really care if someone asked or not. I created the thread, and I was simply continuing with the subject.

I edited the post above to be more descriptive...just for you.

Edited by Smallc