Job losses outstripping job creation

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.thespec.com/News/Business/article/556774

Close to 326,000 people applied for benefits in February, the largest number since 1997, when Statistics Canada began collecting comparable data.

Claims were up 18.6 per cent over January and more than 53 per cent since February of last year.

The rise in EI recipients reflects an economy that has shed 357,000 jobs since October, said Benjamin Tal, a senior economist with CIBC World Markets

"It's like somebody turned off the light in October of 2008, and this is not the end of the labour market pain," he said.

"The West is suffering from the global recession and Central Canada is suffering from the U.S. recession.

"The commodity collapse is clearly hurting the West in a significant way, while the slowing auto sector in the U.S. is clearly hurting Ontario's manufacturing sector."

• 2 weeks later...
This has nothing to do with outsourcing and everything to do with people living beyond their means. Big labour is a big part of the problem.

Whoa, Geoffrey, you usually make alot of sense and a good case.

The problems in the US are definitely related to both Living beyond means, Greed, Deregulation and yes outsourcing.

Many similar problems in Canada have to do with selling to a country living beyond its means, Greed, and our path to deregulation. Luckily we didn't get that far. It happens all the time. The US gets a neat idea to deregulate something and entire empires collapse.

Big Labour??? What country do you live in? Big Labour is more a myth in Canada then a reality. While those in certain Labour groups have received "alot" of attention it just so happens that these are the places that are still around, while many of the NON union places close down quickly and silently.

There may be a thread of organized Labour left, but it is not "big".

However, Organized Labour is NOT responsible for Job creation or Job Losses.

It is perhaps the absolute smallest variable with regards to either outsourcing, rellocation or insolvency.

If I didn't see so god damn many places closing, and I only saw union or high wage employment leaving, then I might agree with you. Except that you are wrong.

When a Place that pays minimum wage and has 700 employees, and a 100 year old company, decides to cut open the roof of the building and remove all the equipment by Crane to move to Asia, then that is outsourcing.

This company has been in the hands of Americans for less then 1 year and the decision has been made.

Did it make money? Yes.

This would be greed.

Job Creation is pretty broad and includes all part time jobs. It isn't happening.

But what is happening is where the wages are decent, the Temp Agencies not the Unions are skimming off the top and there take is HUGE. This keeps people poor and unable to pay for items such as insurance, house, Car, or even bus fare.

People living beyond there means, is called trying to pay the rent, but can't because there isn't a job to be had and the Rent still has to be paid.

People downsizing because there "Means of Employment" has diminished, occurs frequently and in some cases they downsize twice.

Today, I was just informed of another OFFICE for a non Automotive related company, closing up its Canadian Branch and moving all office facilities to the US. This company has NO production in Canada and never did. However, its recently been purchased 2 months ago and will close in June of 2010.

This closure has nothing to do with these office staff living beyond there means. But if I wanted to be mean and rotten to a White Collar Employees, I might say that.

An interesting piece in NewFoundland. Abiti paid more in Bonuses to the CEO of the Bankrupt Company, on a 2 to 1 margin, then what was OWED and Never paid to the workers and salaried staff combined.

Greed. And alot of corporate plundering.

Edited by madmax

This has nothing to do with outsourcing and everything to do with people living beyond their means. Big labour is a big part of the problem.

What is big labour to you? The big three is no more so whose going to be the next victim?? How about the Fed gov't? The Tories have expanded govt, wasted a lot of money in the stupid election calls, and they were in deficit BEFORE the recession, I believe. The middle-class income is slowly going, especially if they belong to a union. BTW, I heard today in Question Period, that the RCMP are seriously thinking of joining a union because the govt won't increase their pay!

So were the jobs that were moved to Canada over the past two decades also due to greed and plundering, or was that that just smart business?

You had to dig back two years and go into the banking empires to find something.... Perhaps you miss the point. Our banks are the most protected industry in Canada. There isn't ANY sector more protected then our banking industry. It is why we have so few banks, so little competition, and why our banking institutions make a fortune.

However, they are the same greedy bunch of bastards but are highly regulated here. However, you deregulated, and being the wolves that they are... they jumped in an took. So, How is YOUR banking empire in the US today.... some 2 years later. Pretty SCREWED, I'd say. Lined up on the Corporate Welfare Block.

You are hardly making a defence in fact you merely show the rampant greed of unchecked capitalism.

However, my one bank, the CIBC, loved to engage in the US and LOST BILLIONS and was corrupt and paid HUGE FINES or BLOOD MONEY not to go to jail with the rest of the Enron Thieves and World Com Thieves etc.

Greed And Plundering... is not smart business. Our Banks jumping into the subprime was NOT smart business.

Protected Canadian Banks being allowed to buy up US Banks and close them down is not Smart Politics for any government. What the hell are you guys thinking???

If we allowed our 5 banks to be purchased, the way that our Large Corporations and National Resources are purchased, with the same set of rules.....

Canada would no longer exist as a country.

Not even the Conservatives are that Looney as to allow our banks to be forsale on the Global market.

Are your small banks still being purchased and closed??? No wonder your country had an economic banking collapse. It has always been one of the weakest links in the US economy.

Our collapse is drivin by your banking collapse and the actions of global corporate pirates along with both incompetent corporate execs with their bellies up to the trough, bloodsucking the life out of companies.

The amount of "Smart" business I see has been diminishing for many decades. Mergers and Aquistions may be a way to get rich, but it is not the way to a strong economy.

In the meantime, I am waiting for Geoffreys reply. Don't see him around much anymore, but, I enjoy reading his answers and I wasn't going to let him mail this one in. ;)

Globe and Mail - ‎8 hours ago‎

OTTAWA and TORONTO -- The bleeding in Canada's job market has stopped, at least for now. Employment in April managed to grow by 35900 positions,

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...PStory/Business

The new jobs in April were driven by a jump of 37,000 in self-employment - a detail that dampened the enthusiasm of many analysts, since self-employment is often the last resort for people who have lost their jobs and can't find new ones.

37,000 Self Employment .... These new figures are people that are making a go of it on their own. It is not a recovery driven by the corporate or banking sectors. Of these 37,000 , those that make it, are going to be the "Smart" business people. Self Employment is a tough go, and this figure would suggest that this is 37,000 new independent businesses of which the success rate in the first year is not that secure.

And should they fail, there will be no EI for them.

This is no different then in other recessions, many people go into self employment until things get better.

Manufacturing employment decreased slightly in Alberta, offset by increases in Quebec and British Columbia.

Ironically many of my aquaintances had been heading west, yet one of my friends was lured to Quebec, and they are calling up for more Skilled Ontario Employees. The problem is that people are not uncomfortable to move to the west if they can do so, but there is always a hesitancy to move to Quebec.

But rises in self-employment are not unqualified good news. In the midst of a recession, such increases usually mean laid-off workers have had no luck finding new jobs. It happened in the downturn of the 1990s and it appears to be happening now too.

"That's really all they can get. They've effectively given up and decided to start out on their own," said Douglas Porter, deputy chief economist at BMO Nesbitt Burns

Guess I got ahead of the article :)

Aerospace manufacturing in Quebec has been holding its own on the job front, said Serge Tremblay, executive director of the Centre for Aerospace Manpower Activities in Quebec.
In Alberta, the sudden drop in oil sands construction had sparked large layoffs, many in Fort McMurray.

Union officials estimate 20,000 construction jobs disappeared in the oil sands alone, prompting electricians, for example, to defer raises.

January 129,000

February 82,000

March 61,000

In fact, those numbers suggest that we have started to move this oil tanker around the iceberg. The job losses are declining. (BTW, labour market stats are a leading indicator so I think the stock market has it right - for now.)

----

My fear is that to get this tanker to move, the US Fed has pushed its foot firmly to the floor. When does it release the pedal?

We in Canada were never near an iceberg and certainly don't want to go hurtling into oblivion. This American mess is of their own creation. As an admirer north of the border, I am astonished. America, what a country: Their 21st century banks are like their 19th century banks - wild cats.

Edited by August1991

• 2 weeks later...