How 2 return ur empties

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We'd rather carry nuclear weapons.

Sure, pick one up with two hands, and two hands only.

So what....we have government "beer stores" as well. Why have a separate waste collection channel and effort? Methinks somebody likes to keep the unclaimed deposit money.

Simple fact is, we get money back for the deposits. To buy more beer. It's pretty simple actually.

What about the beer?

I'll let your smarty American brain figure this one out.

Sure, pick one up with two hands, and two hands only.

No problem....been there...done that.

Simple fact is, we get money back for the deposits. To buy more beer. It's pretty simple actually.

So if I were to visit Oshawa, it would be like going back in time. My wife and her sisters use to steal the stacked up "empties" and return them over and over...what a scam.

I'll let your smarty American brain figure this one out.

You said 100% recycling!

When the Beer Store started accepting returns on LCBO containers, returning beer bottles became an exercise that spiked my blood pressure. Assorted individuals were lined up with grocery carts or pack sacks chock full of all sorts of unsorted bottles. I was lined up behind 4 or 5 of them with my lowly 24, waiting sometimes 15 minutes while the containers were sorted, just to collect $2.40. That's when I discovered home delivery. My favourite brew was now just a telephone call away. No more back strain from lifting those heavy cases, no more lining up for a measly bottle return payout and no potential for Beer Store rage. It's a bonus in +30 or -20 temperature which Ottawa tends to experience with our extreme seasonal weather. Plus, I like to think I am helping create jobs in my community. Oh, and I give the empties to an appreciative delivery guy as a tip. My trip to the beer store would have cost me that in gas anyway.

$500.00 would mean 5,000 bottles at a dime each.

You are absolutely correct sir. Keep in mind that I was only returning them a few times a year though, still, as I said, construction guys can go through a lot of beer.

As for the whole Beer store thing, well I really do not like it. Alberta's method is far better, privately owned stores and centralized return centers that accept all kinds of containers and give you money back for them. Lets not forget off sales either, a great thing indeed.

I got pretty good at packing the truck, I could usually pack the back with about $400.00 + worth of empties. Now I'm back in Ontario I return my empties every few weeks.

When the Beer Store started accepting returns on LCBO containers, returning beer bottles became an exercise that spiked my blood pressure. Assorted individuals were lined up with grocery carts or pack sacks chock full of all sorts of unsorted bottles. I was lined up behind 4 or 5 of them with my lowly 24, waiting sometimes 15 minutes while the containers were sorted, just to collect $2.40.

I can feel your pain....zactly!

That's when I discovered home delivery. My favourite brew was now just a telephone call away. No more back strain from lifting those heavy cases, no more lining up for a measly bottle return payout and no potential for Beer Store rage. It's a bonus in +30 or -20 temperature which Ottawa tends to experience with our extreme seasonal weather. Plus, I like to think I am helping create jobs in my community. Oh, and I give the empties to an appreciative delivery guy as a tip. My trip to the beer store would have cost me that in gas anyway.

Sweet...that's what my mom and her beer guzzling friends did too. They cut out the middleman and called the distributor who pulled up in a big frickin' Hamm's (blech!) truck. Used a dolly to wheel many cases of bottles right into the house. Cheers!

This is the case for the most part in the large urban centres where they need to deal with stinking street people and drug dealers daily but out here where it's civilized we generally have a nice relationship with our beer store employs.

Once you move out of the urban hell hole, you'll find people are generally much friendlier and genuine unlike the city where you get the backstabbing, cheating and lying.

Try it out, you'll see.

This is the case for the most part in the large urban centres where they need to deal with stinking street people and drug dealers daily but out here where it's civilized we generally have a nice relationship with our beer store employs.

Once you move out of the urban hell hole, you'll find people are generally much friendlier and genuine unlike the city where you get the backstabbing, cheating and lying.

Try it out, you'll see.

Wow.I didn't think it was possible that in a thread on returning empties that anyone would write something so utterly moronic as that.

My hat's off to you....you have managed to raise the bar...

Yes, I agree with Argus that Alberta's system is far superior to ours. Booze is cheaper out there because they don't need to pay unions employees to ring a cash register. Apparently it take 2 or 3 unionized employees to ring up my case of lager. I think 1 guy or gal could do the job just fine from my local corner store.

• 9 years later...

Ok, so obviously somebody does NOT like their job!  I’m pretty sure you get paid to take back empties, it’s part of your job when your work the empties side.  When you work the fulls are you polite and courteous? Do you greet them with a smile? When finished the transaction do you tell them to have a nice day? So what the hell is the difference when working on the MTs side?  IT’S YOUR JOB!!! If you don’t like it, then go work at Tim Hortons or Walmart then, I know a lot of people who would die to have a job, period!!!  I have worked at the beer store for 12 years, and I’ve seen a lot of MTs, but I still greet the customer with a smile, and send them off with a polite salutation.  For the most part, if you just explain to the customer, how to sort as you are sorting their MTs they will help you, and they will have it sorted the next time, some people just don’t know.  So instead of calling Customers “assholes” for returning their MTs, just remember that, this is your job, your bread and butter, they’re human beings and they don’t deserve to be treated with disrespect for trying to keep our planet clean, and for getting THEIR mioney back!!!

Green before Green was cool, we recycle 98% of what we sell!  How many bottles are kept out of landfills since we started the ODR Program? 100’s of thousands, how much plastic do we keep our of the oceans?  The labels off of the bottles are made into egg cartons and coffee and drink trays, so next time you get pissed off when you have to do your damn job, just think where we as a civilization would be?