Harper Working on Scrapping the Gun Registry!

some of you people on here simply don t get it! ............Long guns are not the ones being used in all the killings and gang violence......its the handguns and Assault weapons that are already illegal to own and have been for years...but i guess the criminals don t get that!! many of you on here it seems don t know a .308 rifle from a 9 mm Beretta...lol a gun is a gun........right?? so if you don t know anything about guns and the different types then give it up!

If you know only something about killings and gang violence and nothing about suicides and family violence give it up!

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you know only something about killings and gang violence and nothing about suicides and family violence give it up!

Yet another poor soul in need of education..................note in the graph the largest cause of suicide death in Canada is hanging and poison...........i guess we should ban rope and anything poisonous huh?

http://www.suicideinfo.ca/csp/assets/suicideincanada.ppt

The less courageous are those who need firearms.

Actually we should ban alcohol and drugs and gambling since those are the real reasons people kill themselves

and rarely use guns to do it......your arguement is as pointless and the gun registry itself, which is why it is going to be trashed as it should have long ago....since many Canadians who have guns largely ignore it anyway and don t register!

Actually we should ban alcohol and drugs and gambling since those are the real reasons people kill themselves

and rarely use guns to do it......your arguement is as pointless and the gun registry itself, which is why it is going to be trashed as it should have long ago....since many Canadians who have guns largely ignore it anyway and don t register!

It is all about control (never been about ban).

News reports on TV specifically mentioned a long-gun was used and that police didn't know where she got it.

And how would having it registered have stopped her from shooting anyone? How is it that frequent drug busts turn up weapons that are already banned in Canada? How did they get here, (illegally) and would a weapon bought or gained illegaly be register by that criminal?

And how would having it registered have stopped her from shooting anyone? How is it that frequent drug busts turn up weapons that are already banned in Canada? How did they get here, (illegally) and would a weapon bought or gained illegaly be register by that criminal?

The register can save lives by embodying the following public message: we (the all-mighty people) care.

The register can save lives by embodying the following public message: we (the all-mighty people) care.

A common criminal doesn't care that you care or society cares.

Are you going to register knives next (the mayor of Edmonton wants to do this). They kill more people then guns in Canada. Are you going to send a message?

Symbols don't save people lives, banning something doesn't stop the criminal element in society.

What you want is a simple answer to a complex problem, and in this case it just doesn't work.

There's a rumour that a whole lot of lefties are going to go out and buy long guns.

Think that'll change Harper's mind? :lol:

I wonder what the people in the rural ridings of Ont. and quebec wil think of this"whipped" vote? Ignatieff already has Toronto montreal and vancouver, this won't win him much support in areas he needs.

I wonder what the people in the rural ridings of Ont. and quebec wil think of this"whipped" vote? Ignatieff already has Toronto montreal and vancouver, this won't win him much support in areas he needs.

mmm ... I think you missed the point:

Do you think Harper would still keep trying to scrap the gun registry if all the political 'lefties' in the country had one? :lol:

So sorry for double laugh ... but ... this is just tooooo funny!

Gonna get me a shotgun ... mmhhmmm ... big LONG 12 gauge .... mhmm!

Keep it in my cupboard ... mmhmm ... till Harper tries to come and take it away ... woo hoo!

Yup, lefties love their shotguns ... mmhhmm ... goin' back to the land!

Gotta keep the varmints away from the crop! Yahoo!

:lol:

mmm ... I think you missed the point:

Do you think Harper would still keep trying to scrap the gun registry if all the political 'lefties' in the country had one? :lol:

So sorry for double laugh ... but ... this is just tooooo funny!

Gonna get me a shotgun ... mmhhmmm ... big LONG 12 gauge .... mhmm!

Keep it in my cupboard ... mmhmm ... till Harper tries to come and take it away ... woo hoo!

Yup, lefties love their shotguns ... mmhhmm ... goin' back to the land!

Gotta keep the varmints away from the crop! Yahoo!

:lol:

I won't speculate on what Harper would or wouldn't do because no one knows.

I wouldn't care myself, if all on the political left had one too, if they did this wouldn't be an issue would it?

Edited by Alta4ever

Ignatieff to defy PM on gun registry

lol................who cares what a sissy Liberal has to say?

well... you should care what the leader of the Liberal party has to say about his (party's) intentions toward Harper's gun registry folly. Exactly how do you envision having Harper's gun registry dismantling bill passed without Opposition support?

much ado about nothing - it won't make it out of the Senate (anyway).

I wouldn't care myself, if all on the political left had one too, if they did this wouldn't be an issue would it?

waaahhhhhhh! Of course not an issue - cause we know anyone/everyone on the "political left"... would never - ever - accept registering guns! :blink:

hell, man, we're lefties! We even register our toasters! :P

woohoo! All the lefties gonna get a long gun! Friday's a big day!!

Then Harper will change his mind about scrapping the registry for sure!

He doesn't want all the lefties out there with long guns, does he?

Neither do the rest of the tighty-righties

hahahahahahahahaha ... I think I just heard them crap their drawers! hahahahaha

woo hoo!!

And of course we'll have a gun club ... Lefties And Long Ass Guns And Gangs... and we can LALAGAG around towns in gangs showin em off!

Yup! ALL the political left will be on the march with their LONG GUNS!!

hahahaha :lol:

Up against the wall, ya redneck mother!

I got a gun rack ... and 'goat-ropers need love too' sticker ... woo hoo!!

Edited by tango

A common criminal doesn't care that you care or society cares.

Are you going to register knives next (the mayor of Edmonton wants to do this). They kill more people then guns in Canada. Are you going to send a message?

Symbols don't save people lives, banning something doesn't stop the criminal element in society.

What you want is a simple answer to a complex problem, and in this case it just doesn't work.

You won't be able to find a solution to this complex problem until you put more time thinking about what is it to be in the skin of policemen than in the skin of criminals.

Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police president Steven Chabot said Bill C-301 "would seriously compromise a system that is working to the betterment of personal, community and police officer safety."

Edited by benny

You won't be able to find a solution to this complex problem until you put more time thinking about what is it to be in the skin of policemen than in the skin of criminals.

Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police president Steven Chabot said Bill C-301 "would seriously compromise a system that is working to the betterment of personal, community and police officer safety."

Do you realize that IN PRACTICE there is no extra penalty for using a gun in committing a crime? Even if the charges are not plea bargained away they are served concurrently so in effect just don't matter.

Perhaps it would be not only cheaper but more effective to address the problem from this standpoint than a couple of billion dollars for an error-ridden registry of legal gun owners.

Do you realize that IN PRACTICE there is no extra penalty for using a gun in committing a crime? Even if the charges are not plea bargained away they are served concurrently so in effect just don't matter.

Perhaps it would be not only cheaper but more effective to address the problem from this standpoint than a couple of billion dollars for an error-ridden registry of legal gun owners.

So you, when you personify criminals you think math matter!

Right now these billion dollars are simply called stimulus package.

And how would having it registered have stopped her from shooting anyone?

You're right, the gun should have been properly locked up in a public armoury, in addition to being registered.

How is it that frequent drug busts turn up weapons that are already banned in Canada? How did they get here, (illegally) and would a weapon bought or gained illegaly be register by that criminal?

What do drugs and criminals have to do with any of this? I didn't think the gun registry was ever intended to combat these, it was intended to deter incidents where people randomly go off the deep end and use their guns in moments of anger or insanity, like Marc Lepine or the lady in the article I mentioned.

You're right, the gun should have been properly locked up in a public armoury, in addition to being registered.

What do drugs and criminals have to do with any of this? I didn't think the gun registry was ever intended to combat these, it was intended to deter incidents where people randomly go off the deep end and use their guns in moments of anger or insanity, like Marc Lepine or the lady in the article I mentioned.

I still remember the spin that was used at the time to sell the Liberal Gun Registry. Smuggled guns and other illegal guns were totally ignored by the supporters of the Bill. The critics kept bringing it up but no one wanted to hear it. Such criticisms were blown off with comments like "There are very few illegal guns anyway!"

The implication was that "people randomly going off the deep end" were the real problem. The registry was only supposed to cost a few million dollars so why would anyone oppose it?

In reality it turned out the whole thing was just a 'feel good' exercise'. A very EXPENSIVE 'feel good' exercise! Incidents of random 'nutbars' statistically are 'mice nuts' compared to criminal use of guns.

I would have had more respect for the motivations behind the gun registry if the Act had added ONE DAY's worth of extra sentence to a criminal who illegally used a gun! We got NOTHING in this regard!

I should think that makes the Liberals true motives at the time obvious.

Edited by Wild Bill

I still remember the spin that was used at the time to sell the Liberal Gun Registry. Smuggled guns and other illegal guns were totally ignored by the supporters of the Bill. The critics kept bringing it up but no one wanted to hear it. Such criticisms were blown off with comments like "There are very few illegal guns anyway!"

A registry in the USA is the solution to smuggled guns.

There were nowhere near as many guns being used for the type of crime that's creating so much outrage these days.

The implication was that "people randomly going off the deep end" were the real problem. The registry was only supposed to cost a few million dollars so why would anyone oppose it?

That was the problem. Why it turned into a boondoggle is an entirely different issue. The policy of scrapping public policy's on the basis of their being a boondoggle is a problem of accountability and transparency, which runs deep throughout the entire breadth and depth of the government.

In reality it turned out the whole thing was just a 'feel good' exercise'. A very EXPENSIVE 'feel good' exercise! Incidents of random 'nutbars' statistically are 'mice nuts' compared to criminal use of guns.

The same is true of the war on drugs. Incidents of abuse are 'mice nuts' compared to use. If we're going to scrap one boondoggle you should scrap them all.

I should think that makes the Liberals true motives at the time obvious.

What's being Liberal got to do with anything?

The same billion dollars dedicated at pouring concrete and registering arms will be judge differently by men and women not only because the benefits is not evenly distributed among genders but also because the jobs created by the spending is not evenly distributed.

ANY gun can kill as long as there are bullets in it and what will happen once long guns are no longer registry, the bad guns will go buy the long guns and cut down like a shot gun! I saw on the news the police went into one guys place found handguns and 98 long guns, which were registered but they charged him with not storing them properly. If his house had been broken into all those guns would be out on the street, btw, he was a hunter.