Stephen Harper and the problems of conservatism

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/f...nservatism.aspx

n a speech Thursday night to a group of supporters attending a fundraising dinner for a conservative think-tank, Mr. Harper delivered a frank diagnosis of the world's economic problems, took a swipe at U.S. President Barack Obama's stimulus plan, and suggested the federal courts and bureaucracy was filled with Liberals who did not share his Conservative government's agenda.

I guess we will continue to see Harper attack the courts and civil service until he appoints all Tory ideologues to the job.

Meanwhile, he attacks big government while not acknowledging he was the biggest spender of them all.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That right- to appoint the Party Faithful- is reserved exclusively for Liberals in this country.

The nerve of this man to challenge the Liberal birthright!

Ah but to liberals they beleive that they are above the rest of us, and how dare we think for oursselves or want something different from what they the ruling elite want, the arrogant pricks they are.

That right- to appoint the Party Faithful- is reserved exclusively for Liberals in this country.

So you believe that all civil service, judges and the like are Liberal members or supporters and should be removed in favour of Conservatives?

The nerve of this man to challenge the Liberal birthright!

Well, according to Harper and yourself, you believe you should be appointing Tories to all civil service jobs.

Ah but to liberals they beleive that they are above the rest of us, and how dare we think for oursselves or want something different from what they the ruling elite want, the arrogant pricks they are.

Ah, another who believes that civil service and judges are the enemy and think they should be replaced with loyal Tories in every position.

Ah, another who believes that civil service and judges are the enemy and think they should be replaced with loyal Tories in every position.

I beleive they should be replaced with common people and have a very short expiry date on their service before the power has had time to corrupt them. Much of the civil service is waste anyway people who have no real use or power so they exploite the little we give them. The governmetn and the civil service need to be drastically reduced.

I beleive they should be replaced with common people and have a very short expiry date on their service before the power has had time to corrupt them. Much of the civil service is waste anyway people who have no real use or power so they exploite the little we give them. The governmetn and the civil service need to be drastically reduced.

When you have a judge who is three hundred pounds of pure gluttony. A man who is aged and must be helped in and out of his seat by an attendant - who falls asleep while attempting to listen to important testitmoney - who knows that lawyers are committing fraud - then takes time off during a trial to go to hospital and returns in a medicated state - and is only there to fulfill policy and NOT make a judgement on what is legal or right or wrong - then this guy has to be pulled from the bench and tossed out - I don't care if he has been in service for 35 years - He is useless and a danger to the maintainence and continuence of a just society...This is disgraceful - It would have been better to have a young unspoiled lawyer right out of law school to sit in his place and at least attempt to make a judgement. People who want to serve the community not those appointed who have served themselves all their careers.

Common people? Common people with Tory credentials?

I have no people reducing the civil service. I do have a problem with a government who believe that judges should be temporary. That would simply not attract top people. Nor would I want to have an elected judiciary. Not even the Supreme Court in other countries have elected officials and yet some people here think that politics should be the main thing that people are associated with when it comes to judicial appointments.

which is it? Which of the civil service, the judiciary or the politicos... which of these have been, as you say, "corrupted"?

you want the common people where? As politicians? As judges (huh!)? As civil servants (aren't those "common folk")?

government reduced? Speak to the hand..... of Harper? C'mon Steve - trim some fat!

so - just how does your grassroots common people replacement drive come about?

which is it? Which of the civil service, the judiciary or the politicos... which of these have been, as you say, "corrupted"?

you want the common people where? As politicians? As judges (huh!)? As civil servants (aren't those "common folk")?

government reduced? Speak to the hand..... of Harper? C'mon Steve - trim some fat!

so - just how does your grassroots common people replacement drive come about?

Don't think he means common people persay. He may mean those that respect and care to be of service to everyone within the common body of society. Looks as if what he may also mean is that once these people are in position - they become disconnected and lose the common touch - leaving them out of touch.

which is it? Which of the judiciary which of these have been, as you say, "corrupted"?

I dont understand peoples thoughts with respect to our justice system.

One cannot say there arent 'any' corrupt judges, but our system has so many checks and balances that it is pretty fair to say that they do not corrupt justice .

Judges are watched, all the time. They do a fine job and are partisan from what I read.

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/f...nservatism.aspx

I guess we will continue to see Harper attack the courts and civil service until he appoints all Tory ideologues to the job.

Meanwhile, he attacks big government while not acknowledging he was the biggest spender of them all.

Steven Harper's conservatism summed up as, "freedom, family........ and faith". Uhhh - minutemen and militia forming to the... right!

Don't think he means common people persay. He may mean those that respect and care to be of service to everyone within the common body of society. Looks as if what he may also mean is that once these people are in position - they become disconnected and lose the common touch - leaving them out of touch.

no - this is Alta4ever we're digesting here... after all! He's talking bout Floyd & Barney from down over at Ernie's place.

no - this is Alta4ever we're digesting here... after all! He's talking bout Floyd & Barney from down over at Ernie's place.

You know Ernie? Wow - how's he doing? When you see him again tell him I still owe him five bucks in case he forgot. Now is that from down over as the prarrie chicken flys or the crow? Git otta here! There is something to be said about sticking someone in a position of authority who actually are thrilled about being granted the privledge to be of service..instead of those that are feel entitled and annoint their own heads with kingly oil every moring. :rolleyes:

Actually oleg hit it right on the head.

But your ignorant views on what common might mean gets in the way of you understanding. As I said in my first post aplies to you, arrogant elitist liberal pricks.

Edited by Alta4ever

From link in the OP:

"We are in a global recession principally - and we have to face this - because a lot of people on Wall Street, because of a lot of people in the private sector more generally - homeowners or consumers - pushed or bought into a very unconservative idea:That they could live beyond their means," Mr. Harper said.

"Regulators may have failed to prevent it but, in the end, it was a failure of the private sector to live according to the values we as conservatives know to be true."

There is some truth to that. Harper is making an intelligent case for small-c conservative, southern Ontario values. (Canadians elsewhere are perhaps less risk averse but I digress... )

How is this a problem for conservatism? In Quebec, ordinary people (even outside of Montreal and Abitibi) are appalled by the risk-taking of the Caisse.

Dobbin, do you mean that Liberals are the new Conservatives?

There is some truth to that. Harper is making an intelligent case for small-c conservative, southern Ontario values. (Canadians elsewhere are perhaps less risk averse but I digress... )

Last time the PCs were in power in Ontario, they had the social conservative aspects down pat. It is probably what lost them the last election too.

Fiscal conservatives? I think that is a little off the mark though.

Dobbin, do you mean that Liberals are the new Conservatives?

In terms of fiscal conservatism, the Liberals have demonstrated they can do that. I have not seen evidence of any federal right wing party having that strength. Have you?

In terms of fiscal conservatism, the Liberals have demonstrated they can do that. I have not seen evidence of any federal right wing party having that strength. Have you?
If the Liberals can "demonstrate" fiscal conservatism, then I (and I suspect many others) would vote for them.

Unfortunately, Liberals have a habit of demonstrating one thing and then doing another.

Steven Harper's conservatism summed up as, "freedom, family........ and faith". Uhhh - minutemen and militia forming to the... right!

Tinfoil anyone???

blueblood, you misunderestimate me… clearly conspiratorial musings do not apply. I was simply offering a congratulatory attaboy to Steve for his attempt to reach out and rally “the base”.

Harper played it well – or as well as he might dare, given his very BIG-spending, BIG-deficit, BIG-government, non-conservative actions. Certainly, we couldn’t expect his 3F “Freedom, Family, Faith” conservative summation to become 4F and actually include Fiscal-Management… not even Harper would aspire to that level of hypocrisy in front of all those small-c think tankers.

so… he went with his 3F strengths – and I simply acknowledged the rallying minutemen/militia types who chow down on that Freedom kinda stuff. Let me hasten to add the evangelical component of the base… didn’t mean to gloss over the impact Harper’s Family/Faith callout would have with them.

it truly was an illuminating Harper speech – after all - we now know that the global recession was caused by all those wascally greedy spendthrift U.S. consumers who, apparently, out snookered the banks, mortgage companies, failed hedge fund managers, etc..

If the Liberals can "demonstrate" fiscal conservatism, then I (and I suspect many others) would vote for them.

Unfortunately, Liberals have a habit of demonstrating one thing and then doing another.

even if we ignore the undeniable demonstrations of past Liberal fiscal conservatism, if fiscal conservatism really is your determining vote factor...

why, oh why would you continue to support the Harper Con-machine that lacks any semblance of fiscal conservatism?