Freedom of the Press, Speech, and Thought, RIP

Your proof is silly at best and I doubt it is even true.

I would be willing to wager you would be arrested on the spot for yelling "I want Jintao dead" in any public place in China.

I won't do that, but you will lose for sure because you said "any" and you did not define a time.

Only very limited place might have that risk. In most places, people will just think you mental disorder if you do that.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bjre,

I mean the media here does not always give correct information. It is not better than media in China.

And people grow up in this environment may not be able to always make correct judgment because the un-perfect information they got.

It is clear that the freedom of speech is not perfect here. The media here failed to prove the value of freedom of speech which they are proud of.

I did not say "we have less freedom of speech than China."

I said "Sometimes, China has better freedom of speech than Canada.", The proof I used is in post #2

It may have some advantage here, and have some disadvantage there.

I concur that freedom of speech is not perfect here, and that it sometimes can be better in China.

That being said, it is in fact overwhelmingly better here, in the Americas and Europe than in China most of the time.

bjre,

I concur that freedom of speech is not perfect here, and that it sometimes can be better in China.

That being said, it is in fact overwhelmingly better here, in the Americas and Europe than in China most of the time.

You are correct - just look at the way I have been spewing what ever comes to mind - electronically speaking..and sometimes in public..and I am still walking about free - so are most of you. What I believe it is - is our ability to learn and harvest what others have to say and utlize it. Our leaders in politics and in buisness understand what real human resourses are - whether they like it or not...they are wise and take the best - I assume and suspect that the big cheezes like lots of bacteria - which have lots of in the form of free speech.

However, I have heard of "I will kill you" several times when I was in China when people quarreling, no one get arrested.

I havealso heard it many times in Canada and no one has been arrested..your point?

I have also heard that Mao was a pedophile.....can you publish that in China and not be arrested?

Can you hold a public meeting over the topic of a lack of democracy, government corruption and the need for drastic reform and not be arrested?

In Canada that's the basis for forminga new political party.

No where in China are people as free as they are in canada, they are simply either slaves or masters.

The threat of bodily harm "I will kill you" - in this country gets you hand cuffed and locked up faster than you can blink - You simply do not do that and rightfully so - I guess in China they give them the freedom of speech it it is an attack on the person - because persons have no right to security of the person.

I have also heard that Mao was a pedophile.....can you publish that in China and not be arrested?

I have no interest on that, I like Mao, he is an idealist, he is not perfect, but without him, there is no modern China, and no greatly improved life for most Chinese people for now.

Can you hold a public meeting over the topic of a lack of democracy, government corruption and the need for drastic reform and not be arrested?

China has a different style of democracy, I don't like the low-efficient Canadian style either.

There is some government corruption exist in China. Some kind of reform for China would be beneficial to China.

If you would be willing to wager on this, I would like to consider it, but that will depend on how much you are going to bet, because I am not a political guy, I have a dream to become rich and I would like to donate several schools to China if I have money.

I have no interest on that, I like Mao, he is an idealist, he is not perfect, but without him, there is no modern China, and no greatly improved life for most Chinese people for now.

China has a different style of democracy, I don't like the low-efficient Canadian style either.

There is some government corruption exist in China. Some kind of reform for China would be beneficial to China.

If you would be willing to wager on this, I would like to consider it, but that will depend on how much you are going to bet, because I am not a political guy, I have a dream to become rich and I would like to donate several schools to China if I have money.

Thanks for dodging the obvious. Mao was a blood thirsty murdering pedophile and saying so will get you jailed.

China style of democracy is properly caled dictatorship. Where everyone has one vote which is perfect cause you only have one choice.

The wager is simple, you get to bet your life, I get to wager a good chuckle

...or you could simply post from the Chinese criminal code where threats are allowed and are not actionable

It is in the Canadian criminal code.

That is a lie. (I just look in a dictionary for the meaning of pedophile)

A Mao apologist? I guess damaging children is not really considered a crime when you are responsible for the death of a million people. In comparison no one would notice a bit of diddling as you heard the sound of gun shots down at the local human slaughter house - and the dull thud of faces hitting the ground with hands bound behind was never really really something that made a pedophile appear to be Santa when compared?

The wager is simple, you get to bet your life, I get to wager a good chuckle

I have no interest on that.

China style of democracy is properly caled dictatorship. Where everyone has one vote which is perfect cause you only have one choice.

I don't think so. I am going out for dinner now. Bye-bye.

Apprently your tinfoil hat was too tight....and your knowledge of chinese law is as accurate as your knowledge of Mao's perverse tastes for underage girls....

“If allowed to continue, the reporting interference and hate campaigns targeting international media may poison the pre-Games atmosphere for foreign journalists,” says FCCC President Melinda Liu. “We urge government authorities to investigate the death threats, which violate Chinese law, and otherwise help create an environment in keeping with their Olympic promises.”

http://www.fromthefrontline.co.uk/blogs/in...p;tb=1&pb=1

Perverse by our standards. In China, the age of consent is 14. In Japan, 13.

For females because they are throw away human beings - The more valuable males - try and molest one of their sons ----they will chop off your head and what ever else needs chopping off. This thread is starting to creep me out..

Given this story, and the United Nations resolution which would essentially ban criticism of religion; it's a wonder if 50 years from now we'll be looking for another Magna Carta to give us back some essential freedoms.

I don't like that at all. However, we have to be very careful what we deem to be merely offensive, and what could incite hatred or violence.

This is the by-product of a church as state movement and all the more reason why they must be separated. We should be able to criticize any country's actions without it automatically be deemed an attack on their faith.

There are many Jewish comedians who would literally have to shut down their shows, if they had to refrain from Jewish mother jokes.

We need to be able to fight evil in the world, solely on the basis of the evil acts.

Sometimes, China has better freedom of speech than Canada.

For example: in China, one can say: "I will kill you"

It can be joke.

It can happen when a person express his hate to someone.

It can happen for other reasons ...

In Canada, when a person say this, he will be face accuse and sent to jail.

You're joking right? My boss has threatened to kill me and I probably threaten to kill my deckhands at least a couple of times a season and we've all threatened certain kids that we'd use them to chum up some killer whales or skarks if they didn't behave themselves.

Kids make great bait when you drag them around behind the boat. If you tie the rope under one arm you get some really nice spinning action.

Where is the survey, is it in US or in Canada? Is there any survey on the thinking of Afganistan people?

There have been regular polls of the Afghan People. This is the msot recent:

Frustration With War, Problems in Daily Life Send Afghans' Support for U.S. Efforts Tumbling

"A new national public opinion poll in Afghanistan by ABC News, the BBC and ARD German TV finds that performance ratings and support levels for the Kabul government and its Western allies have plummeted from their peaks, particularly in the past year. Widespread strife, a resurgent Taliban, struggling development, soaring corruption and broad complaints about food, fuel, power and prices all play a role."

An attack on the faith should be allowed - for it is an attack on the base of the very culture and thinking of that nation or person. Church and state have never been seperate. The very foundation of the culture, laws and values spawn form the original faith of that nation - even if the nation or person has been secularized for generations. The way of thinking still lingers and is passed on down from grand parent to parent to child - even if that child grows to be an atheist - he or she still carry religious values whether they know it or not. Besides some things are clearly wrong with some religions. For example female and male genital mutilation is wrong - so is the eye for an eye apporach along with say - Judiac racism - where Jews refere to non-Jews as Goyem (cattle) _ By UN standards can a Jew refere to you as an animal because of some silly ancient religious belief - but you can not say that - that part of Judaism is evil?

And how many Canadians believe there was WMD exist in Iraq before the war launched? How many Iraqis think that exist?

You can easily find the media has successfully controlled the thinking of most Canadians and Americans.

That's probably the fault of the people being controlled. Ignorance is no excuse.

For females because they are throw away human beings - The more valuable males - try and molest one of their sons ----they will chop off your head and what ever else needs chopping off. This thread is starting to creep me out..

The "freedom speech" here prove the media did not tell truth for a long time that so many of you have no knowledge of China. I guess you did not ever been to China.

China is not like Canada, most women go out work, they get achievement in all area, if you have ever watch Olympic games, you will have chance to notice women get more medals than man, unlike Canada, too many women stay at home.

Take a look at the following web links from China. You may not be able to read the text, You can look at the images to see if women in the photo looks like "throw away human beings":

http://www.dingxi.gov.cn/cn/dxyw/gnyw/webi...62293700363.htm

http://www.moe.edu.cn/edoas/website18/18/info24818.htm

http://www.wenming.cn/2008-11/01/content_14801054.htm

http://news.xinhuanet.com/photo/2008-12/02...nt_10446401.htm

http://lifter.sport.org.cn/home/chinese/20...-28/237175.html

http://www.smegx.gov.cn:8080/gxsme/default...cle.jsp?id=3041

http://lady.163.com/07/1205/15/3UV86N0T002626I3.html

http://money.cnfol.com/090205/160,1555,5414088,00.shtml

http://women.qingdao.gov.cn/gzdt/news_detail.asp?unid=1239

http://www.zhwomen.gov.cn/ztfs/200902/t20090203_73716.html

http://www.womenxm.cn/web/funvyuanzhu/c644/w10016861.asp

http://www.czcl.gov.cn/Article/ShowArticle.asp?ArticleID=5

That's probably the fault of the people being controlled. Ignorance is no excuse.

Ignorance is a choice not an affliction. Anyone with common sense could look at a politician and know if they are credible or not - the dithering surrogate former president and that cruel ruthless corporate henchman Cheney were obviously not on the up and up....looking at the pair of them - would you trust these two and Carl Rove the pugdy boy spin doctor with your life? So why did so many of them believe these people?

And that smiling Rumsfelt....who in their right mind would believe someone who looked and spoke like that? Was the world blind?

An attack on the faith should be allowed - for it is an attack on the base of the very culture and thinking of that nation or person. Church and state have never been seperate.

But they should be. Faith is a personal thing and in a country with such diverse beliefs, it has no place in government. Polls may show that most Canadian claim to be Christian, but when it comes down to practicing their faith or going to church, the numbers drop significantly.