Spring Election 2009

I was surprised to see that no one posted this.... or did I miss it?

Why are the CPC reluctant to account for where this money will go? Is this the straw?

"These are confidence measures. We are not messing around with this," the prime minister said.

"If the opposition doesn't like it, they will find themselves in an election."

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/596704

Why would/should the Liberals signoff on a blank cheque like this?

I was surprised to see that no one posted this.... or did I miss it?

Why are the CPC reluctant to account for where this money will go? Is this the straw?

I wondered why there was no post abou this too.

1. The Liberals have no money so Harper wants an election now.

2. The economy will only get worse so Harper wants an election now.

3. Ignatieff cannot acquiesce as Dion did otherwise he's just another Dion.

4. Harper is looking for an issue to provoke an election and a Tory seeking spending power in a recession is counter intuitive.

----

I thought Ignatieff would provoke an election in the fall 2009. It looks like Harper will provoke one this spring.

2. The economy will only get worse so Harper wants an election now.

3. Ignatieff cannot acquiesce as Dion did otherwise he's just another Dion.

4. Harper is looking for an issue to provoke an election and a Tory seeking spending power in a recession is counter intuitive.

----

I thought Ignatieff would provoke an election in the fall 2009. It looks like Harper will provoke one this spring.

Harper would be mad to go into an election now.

1. Ignatieff has not made any major gaffes

2. I think the time line of the economy getting back on track doesn't benefit the tories if they call an election. My guess is very late 09, sometime in 10. Everything bottoms out in late spring.

Visit My Website

That's a link to my post in another thread mentioning in a link that things are approaching the bottom and the economist in the blog has been fairly accurate.

Calling an election when the economy is at its lowest, especially with so many elections could backfire in Harper's face. Giving the Liberals a potential minority gov't with the economy on a potential upswing by that time could potentially result in a Liberal majority in the election down the road (With Dobbin doing his version of the 649 happy dance)

Harper had his chance to go to an election or let the Liberals wear this bad economy, that didn't pan out.

3. Backlash with Canadians of playing politics during an economic crisis are not good.

4. going into an election over 3 billion dollars that is unchecked just doesn't look good.

Harper's best interest is to hold on until the economy gets back on track. Harper should keep track of how the economy is doing and take credit when the economy fixes itself.

I don't see an election happening until the Liberal Convention as it will be one big event to showcase Ignatieff to the nation in May. Then, in June (weeks later) after the second economic progress report, Iggy will bring down the government and ride his momentum to a good victory (maybe even majority). It would be counter-intuitive for the Liberals to have an election before the convention. What is Iggy loses the election? Whats the point of having a love-in, with what I hear as speeches of endorsement from all three former living Liberal P.M.'s and a few prominent golden era Liberals. It could, however, be interesting to have a convention near the start (or better, a few days before) of the campaign. That would really give them momentum but it would cut back at campaigning time.

The Liberals have said they will pass the budget.

Harper says he wants it passed yesterday even though he can't legally spend a penny of it until April 1 anyway.

Harper is looking to use the $3 billion for election spending sometime in the next months.

Harper says he wants it passed yesterday even though he can't legally spend a penny of it until April 1 anyway.

Someone should tell CTV that. I couldn't believe they left that fact out of their coverage last night. CBC seemed to know. CTV also made reference to the unelected Liberal Senators saying they'll hold it up. I lost a lot of respect for Robert Fife last night. It was sloppy journalism that was extremely biased.

Edited by Smallc

The Conservatives should have let the coalition take over instead of caving into their demands. This entire budget was a joke. At the very least I would have felt comfortable supporting the Conservatives if they had tried minimizing the deficits instead of giving into the demands of the coalition.

At the very least I would have felt comfortable supporting the Conservatives if they had tried minimizing the deficits instead of giving into the demands of the coalition.

You do realize that that's how it goes in a minority parliament, right? The government doesn't get to rule with an iron fist when they don't control the house.

You anti-Harper types missed the 3rd reason: Ignatieff wants an election because he doesn't want to look like Dion. IOW, we will have an election sooner rather than later, in part because Ignatieff wants it.

I'd still bet on Fall 2009 but Shakey was right to start this thread, IMV.

If he does, he has no where to go but down.
They said the same of Charest when he called his election as a minority PM. Edited by August1991

They said the same of Charest when he called his election as a minority PM.

I never heard them say it. It must have been different inside Quebec, because I never heard it on Politics or in the national media. They said it was somewhat of a gamble, but his poll numbers showed he would do well. He would have done better yet, but many Liberal voters stayed home.

Harper isn't facing Dion anymore. He has nowhere to go but down.

Remember that an election isn't the only option. Ignatief could easily convince the Governor General to allow a coalition to take control of the government. He could (and probably would) argue that immediate action was necessary and the three months required to complete an election and restart parliament could have devastating effects.

Harper is still trying to act like he has a majority. What is the problem in providing the lists that the Opposition parties want for accountability...or does Harper have something to hide?

Edited by charter.rights

The Conservatives should have let the coalition take over instead of caving into their demands. This entire budget was a joke. At the very least I would have felt comfortable supporting the Conservatives if they had tried minimizing the deficits instead of giving into the demands of the coalition.

You're absolutely right. Harper would have done better in opposition criticizing deficit spending, instead of in government trying to defend it.

"Moreover, he argued that the government already has $3 billion approved for infrastructure projects in last year's budget that it hasn't yet spent, suggesting that the prime minister is holding back the funds in a bid to "hide the size of his deficit.""

Why aren't the Conservatives using the three billion dollars already earmarked for infastructure in the last budget? Do they still have it?

They have proven they can't handle the country's finances during good times. How can we trust them during bad? Blustering over future spending or trying to get a three billion dolalr blank cheque, is nonsense.

You anti-Harper types missed the 3rd reason: Ignatieff wants an election because he doesn't want to look like Dion. IOW, we will have an election sooner rather than later, in part because Ignatieff wants it.

Ignatieff doesn't want an election right now, but is prepared to go to one rather than allow the Conservatives to be unaccountable to taxpayers.

Where is the 3 billion dollars for infastructure spending from the last budget? Why haven't they released that money? What are they hiding?

Remember that an election isn't the only option. Ignatief could easily convince the Governor General to allow a coalition to take control of the government. He could (and probably would) argue that immediate action was necessary and the three months required to complete an election and restart parliament could have devastating effects.

Harper is still trying to act like he has a majority. What is the problem in providing the lists that the Opposition parties want for accountability...or does Harper have something to hide?

Exactly. And don't forget that Harper himself said "I would not want the Prime Minister to think that he could simply fail in the House of Commons as a route to another General Election. That's not the way our system works." Link onto the date in my signature and you'll hear him say it when he was trying to sell his coalition to the Canadian public.

He told us there were options and GG could very well implement them, if Stephen Harper fails to come clean about why he doesn't want to be held accountable and tell us what he plans to do with an extra three billions dollars, and why he's sitting on three billion dollars from last budget, instead of putting it to work.

He's got some 'splainin' to do.

Thanks for the link. I've sent it to my facebook. I'm not comfortable with giving the Conservatives a blank cheque either. Spend the three billion they set aside from the last budget, if they still have; and give us some indication of what they will do with an additional three billion. Huffing and puffing will only make them pass out, and Canadians pass on them.

They can do their jobs or step aside. You can be sure that If Harper was in opposition he would never give the Liberals or Coalition a three billion slush fund. He's such a hypocrite.

chortle

OTTAWA — Liberals are dialling down the volume on spring election speculation.

Liberal House Leader Ralph Goodale says his party is not seeking a confrontation with the Tory government over a $3-billion fund aimed at quickly stimulating the sputtering economy.

The Liberals plan to table a motion Monday calling on the government to detail how the money is to be spent.

But Mr. Goodale says they won't debate the motion or force a vote on it until late March, giving Liberals and Conservatives several more weeks to reach a compromise.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...y/politics/home

Harper last week warned that opposition refusal to approve creation of the fund would constitute defeat of his minority government.

"These are confidence measures. We are not messing around with this," the prime minister said.

"If the opposition doesn't like it, they will find themselves in an election."

Harper hasn't learned a damned thing.

He still doesn't get it that to remain in power, he has to have the confidence of the house and Canadians.

He acts as if it's all about his political shenanigans instead of governance.

Oh well, the more he screws up, the quicker we will be rid of him. Spring is good!

Let's see ... AdScam involved about $100m. Now Harper wants to dole out $3b to his supporters without an accounting?

I don't think so!

Edited by tango

Harper hasn't learned a damned thing.

You're right. He's drafting attack ads because Ignatieff is rising in the polls, but now is threatening another election?

I think he really has gone insane or is so bored with his job he wants a way out. Why doesn't he just pull a John Tory and resign.

He actually doesn't want it, but is prepared to go to the polls if Harper refuses to let Canadians know what he plans to do with the extra 3 billion dollars. My guess is to use it to start projects that were earmarked for last budget. Why is he sitting on that money unless he's spent it already? Show me the money.

Release those funds. You can't start using the other until April anyway.

He actually doesn't want it, but is prepared to go to the polls if Harper refuses to let Canadians know what he plans to do with the extra 3 billion dollars. My guess is to use it to start projects that were earmarked for last budget. Why is he sitting on that money unless he's spent it already? Show me the money.

Release those funds. You can't start using the other until April anyway.

As I recall Flaherty left Ontario with about $2 billion in debt more than the provincial Conservatives reported prior to McGuinty getting in. Although it screwed McGuinty's election spending plans he was able to recover and put Ontario back in the black. It would not be unusual for Flaherty to be hiding the real debt to protect the Conservative's political image.

As I recall Flaherty left Ontario with about $2 billion in debt more than the provincial Conservatives reported prior to McGuinty getting in. Although it screwed McGuinty's election spending plans he was able to recover and put Ontario back in the black. It would not be unusual for Flaherty to be hiding the real debt to protect the Conservative's political image.

It's almost a given. The Mike Harris gov't hid deficits with the projected sale of assets. Flaherty is doing the same thing.

I would be willing to bet that the 3 billion dollars that was supposed to go into infastructure from the last budget, is gone. They now need an unaccountable 3 billion slush fund to cover up the fact that it's gone. I've seen these guys operate too long, to not see what's behind this latest ploy.

Maybe the Opposition should demand that they prove they still have the other before trusting them with more.

I think he really has gone insane or is so bored with his job he wants a way out. Why doesn't he just pull a John Tory and resign.

Yes, as I understand it before 2006 politicians were never involved in political games.

As I recall Flaherty left Ontario with about $2 billion in debt more than the provincial Conservatives reported prior to McGuinty getting in. Although it screwed McGuinty's election spending plans he was able to recover and put Ontario back in the black.

Yes, Dalton McGuinty is perhaps an uber-genius considering how well Ontario's economy is doing.

It would not be unusual for Flaherty to be hiding the real debt to protect the Conservative's political image.

I hate to break it to you but Canada's already in a deficit, it's been reported on widely.

It's almost a given. The Mike Harris gov't hid deficits with the projected sale of assets. Flaherty is doing the same thing.

I would be willing to bet that the 3 billion dollars that was supposed to go into infastructure from the last budget, is gone. They now need an unaccountable 3 billion slush fund to cover up the fact that it's gone. I've seen these guys operate too long, to not see what's behind this latest ploy.

If only we could have the steady hand of Bob Rae in Canada, then our country would have streets paved of gold. Before budget deficit happened Ernie Eves was the Premier and Janet Ecker was the finance minister. Ironically enough they were both red tories, which kind of defeats your notion that all evil in Canada is relegated to blue tories.

The 3 billion you mentioned is going to be added on to the deficit, I'm not happy with a deficit but let's not pretend the government's attempting to cover up said deficit.

Edited by Canadian Blue