.... See this goes back to what got them in this mess in the first place regulation. The government has a roll to play and Bush never thought they did. Don't worry though they are going to tax the bonuses back and you can then celebrate Obama.

OK...then such logic makes Obama just a smarter boob than Bush, and hardly any reason to celebrate.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately you're completely wrong. President Obama signed a bill in which a provision explicitly stated that that these bonuses would be exempted from new corporate compensation rules.

The administration official said the Treasury Department did its own legal analysis and concluded that those contracts could not be broken. The official noted that even a provision recently pushed through Congress by Senator Christopher J. Dodd, a Connecticut Democrat, had an exemption for such bonus agreements already in place.

The New York Times

Stop lying and trying to blame this on Bush. The Bush boogeyman long left the building. This is all on Obama and the Democrats.

....Stop lying and trying to blame this on Bush. The Bush boogeyman long left the building. This is all on Obama and the Democrats.

Very entertaining too....Obama....Dodd....Geithner....all have their tits in a wringer over a measly $165 million in bonuses.

Wait till we get the hedge fund and foreign banks details.

Money laundering!

Very entertaining too....Obama....Dodd....Geithner....all have their tits in a wringer over a measly $165 million in bonuses.

Wait till we get the hedge fund and foreign banks details.

Money laundering!

Money laundering? Look at the deal Israel has with America. You send them a billion bucks in aid - with one small restriction - that they buy arms with most of that money..and send the money not back to the American tax payer but to corporations that deal in war supplies - that sounds like a great MONEY LAUNDERING operation to me! All under the guise "we must protect the poor and persecuted Jews" Bull crap! They don't care about Israel or the Jews - just the cash...You have Jewish buisnessmen who influence the Kinesette - not to have peace - because if they do the free and lucrative ride will be over.

Properly regulated? Is our society properly regulated? [/sarcasm]

----

msj, I'm not a libertarian (so I think that a civilized society requires a State) but I question how any government can manage/regulate the State's affairs.

PS. Thankfully for the rest of us, Americans don't live yet in a regulated Soviet society.

Even still you are regulated quite a bit. Have a drivers license and a car?? Regulations need to be followed... that is why you can get a speeding ticket n stuff... regulations.

In the west the regulations are there, and more so, hidden behind procedures and restrictions. Once you look deeper into it, you are regulated to death.

Shady

Stop lying and trying to blame this on Bush. The Bush boogeyman long left the building. This is all on Obama and the Democrats.

All this is about the bonuses given to AIG people in Dec of 08, while Bush was still in office. I know you would like to think Bush never happened, but , even a person with the worst case ADHD would have figured this out.

Even still you are regulated quite a bit. Have a drivers license and a car?? Regulations need to be followed... that is why you can get a speeding ticket n stuff... regulations.

In the west the regulations are there, and more so, hidden behind procedures and restrictions. Once you look deeper into it, you are regulated to death.

Shady

All this is about the bonuses given to AIG people in Dec of 08, while Bush was still in office. I know you would like to think Bush never happened, but , even a person with the worst case ADHD would have figured this out.

Now you see the "change we can believe in" - no change! Obama is just a replacement for Bush and Biden the crooked mouthed corporate may as well be Cheney.

Unfortunately you're completely wrong. President Obama signed a bill in which a provision explicitly stated that that these bonuses would be exempted from new corporate compensation rules.

The administration official said the Treasury Department did its own legal analysis and concluded that those contracts could not be broken. The official noted that even a provision recently pushed through Congress by Senator Christopher J. Dodd, a Connecticut Democrat, had an exemption for such bonus agreements already in place.

The New York Times

That would be a great article if it wasn't already debunked.

http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwald/200...dodd/index.html

Again this is Bush's policy let's use a not Debunked NYT article to get to the bottom of this

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/23/business...&oref=login

"Senator Richard Shelby, the top Republican on the Senate Banking Committee, told CBS news that: "It should be up to the board of directors of a private corporation to set the compensation of an executive; it shouldn't be Congress's role.""

It was, after all, President Bush who warned lawmakers not to "insist on provisions that would undermine the effectiveness of the plan" while Barney Frank, chairman of the House banking committee, declared that there would be "no golden parachutes while we are the owners" of the bad assets of Wall Street firms.

So you are telling me Obama failed for listening too Republicans? Well yah that is what I have been saying. See the problem is when their is a public record you can't go back and change everything you said 4 months ago.

Edited by punked

That would be a great article if it wasn't already debunked.

Ok, let's go with your debunked source.

"But it was Tim Geithner and Larry Summers who openly criticized Dodd's proposal at the time and insisted that those limitations should apply only to future compensation contracts"

Salon

So according to your source, it wasn't Dodd, but Geithner and Summers who are to blame. And that somehow makes it better? Instead of a Senator, it was two Obama Administration officials who were directly responsible. Whew, glad you corrected me! :lol:

Ok, let's go with your debunked source.

"But it was Tim Geithner and Larry Summers who openly criticized Dodd's proposal at the time and insisted that those limitations should apply only to future compensation contracts"

Salon

So according to your source, it wasn't Dodd, but Geithner and Summers who are to blame. And that somehow makes it better? Instead of a Senator, it was two Obama Administration officials who were directly responsible. Whew, glad you corrected me! :lol:

You ignored the other half of my post showing that this was a republican policy. That republicans even as Obama was writing TARP were the ones screaming "keep this private we wont vote for it unless you allow the companies to go about their business in a private way." Don't worry though I never expect you to look at anything that didn't happen yesterday. Problem is you need 60 votes for this to pass and in order to do that you need compromise guess what it was?

Now you see the "change we can believe in" - no change! Obama is just a replacement for Bush and Biden the crooked mouthed corporate may as well be Cheney.

But of course!! I always thought McCain was gonna get in, and this would all be on his hands. The crisis was created before Obama took office, however a McCain government would have been in this same mess. There is something fundamentally wrong at the core of the government.

The real losers are all the taxpayers... again.

And apparently it is all Chris Dodds fault. From what I see on the CNN today.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2009/...hole-says-dodd/

I know Shady will just say that this is the guy who is taking the fall for Obama's screw up.

But of course!! I always thought McCain was gonna get in, and this would all be on his hands. The crisis was created before Obama took office, however a McCain government would have been in this same mess. There is something fundamentally wrong at the core of the government.

The real losers are all the taxpayers... again.

And apparently it is all Chris Dodds fault. From what I see on the CNN today.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2009/...hole-says-dodd/

I know Shady will just say that this is the guy who is taking the fall for Obama's screw up.

I'm glad you linked to that story on CNN. Just for punked, I'll enlarge and bold the title.

BREAKING: I was responsible for bonus loophole, says Dodd

Anyways, I don't necessarily think it's Obama's fault. But it's definitely the fault of Geithner and Summers. After all, it's pretty hard to lay the blame on Obama. He's clearly clueless when it comes to complex econmic issues. Boy would President Mitt Romney sound really good right about now. Oh well, maybe in a few more years. Everyone keep your fingers crossed.

I'm glad you linked to that story on CNN. Just for punked, I'll enlarge and bold the title.

BREAKING: I was responsible for bonus loophole, says Dodd

Anyways, I don't necessarily think it's Obama's fault. But it's definitely the fault of Geithner and Summers. After all, it's pretty hard to lay the blame on Obama. He's clearly clueless when it comes to complex econmic issues. Boy would President Mitt Romney sound really good right about now. Oh well, maybe in a few more years. Everyone keep your fingers crossed.

Tough for Dodd he has a hard road to hoe to get reelected.

Well, I'm glad you're honest enough to admit to Dodd's mistake. Unfortunately, I'm not sure he'll have much of a tough time being re-elected in Connecticut.

He is polling 10 points behind the likely republican right now. It will be tough not only on him but Obama becuase if the Republicans pick up seats they will come out harder then before and obstruct more then before. It will be "Contract with America" all over again. Them claiming success for all the things the Dems do right and blaming for all the things they do wrong. Which we see right now, Republicans came out against the capping of these bonus with Bush now all over Obama for not doing what they didn't want done.

Fed doesn't work directly for the president....Treasury knew or should have known.

Geithner was in bed with these guys all along, and still didn't pay his taxes! :lol:

These people do not pay their taxes because they know that the taxing system is a joke, that it is a waste of tax payers money. They are in the loop and fully understand that it's a corrupt interchange - so it's not the money - It's a simple knowledge - that taxes are for suckers - You pay and the bulk works it's way into private hands anyway. Why give to their friends if they think they are above the law? Good example of the corrupt interchange is the sending of money to Israel -the bulk of which goes back to feed the military industrial complex which is privately owned..If they are going to pay taxes, they might as well just go to the chariman of the boards house and had over a brown envelope directly..........BUT the reason cases of this pop up - is betrayal --when those within this group are pissed off - they sic the tax department on their fellows - none of them really pay taxes..so what's the big deal?

I think we might be back to Dodd didn't do it and we still don't know who did.

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2009/3/1...te-and-utter-BS

It would be nice to see these douchebags at AIG get their bonuses lifted, but regardless of who's to blame for guaranteeing their reward for criminal behaviour (Chris Dodd or Tim Geitner) it is diverting attention from the most important issue -- a congressional investigation into how these derivative markets that created Credit Default Swaps, were allowed to flourish unregulated and grow to an estimated 45 trillion dollar market -- bigger than the stock and bond markets, and making AIG too big to fail, since so many banks would fail if they went bankrupt. With all the attention on bonuses, CNN and other news networks aren't giving any attention to the question of what is going to happen with these derivative markets. Are they going to be allowed to continue as a regulated business, or are CDS contracts so prone to abuse that they should be wound down and made illegal. Whatever happens to AIG bonuses, it doesn't answer whether these clandestine bubble markets will be allowed to continue on as they are doing now.

COMPLEXITY IS THE SANTUARY OF SCOUNDRELS....

The really though that it was to cleverly convoluted and vast for anyone to comprehend and figure out - but - it sure looks like you the novice is capable of disecting there poop pile and finding out who ate what...keep going - with a methodical and diligent mind all of this stuff will become articultable...and then simple and all will understand what took place - and head will roll - You do NOT steal pensions from the aged so you can drive four cars and hire the finest hookers...time to pay the piper - they danced a little to long at the fair.

Obama's 'Heckuva job Brownie' moment!

Obama to Leno: Geithner doing 'outstanding' job

BURBANK, Calif. (AP) — President Barack Obama says his embattled treasury chief, Timothy Geithner, is doing an "outstanding job."

AP

Sure his Mr. President, sure he is. :blink: