Unions Call for 'Buy Canadian' Policy

"OTTAWA — Two major unions are demanding that governments adopt a “Buy Canadian” policy to save jobs. The Canadian Auto Workers and the United Steel Workers say tax dollars spent on infrastructure projects should go to Canadian workers.

The call comes after the federal government lobbied hard against efforts in Washington to attach a “Buy American” policy to a multibillion-dollar bailout program."

Should Canada also adopt protectionism for government stimulus? Farming out jobs won't help anyone.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"OTTAWA — Two major unions are demanding that governments adopt a “Buy Canadian” policy to save jobs. The Canadian Auto Workers and the United Steel Workers say tax dollars spent on infrastructure projects should go to Canadian workers.

The call comes after the federal government lobbied hard against efforts in Washington to attach a “Buy American” policy to a multibillion-dollar bailout program."

Should Canada also adopt protectionism for government stimulus? Farming out jobs won't help anyone.

What is the meaning of Canadian product?

"GM", "Ford", "Chrysler" assembled by Canadian Auto Workers are American product or Canadian product?

Even for made in China product, How much percentage are earn by China, How much percentage are earned by Canadian business men and logistics firms?

Farming out jobs won't help anyone.

Farming out jobs and protectionism are two different things. One might make sense case by case, the other is stupid and makes no sense to a trading nation and one that can not prosper in a protectionist climate that is likely to sput a trade war.

Almost every other country in the world has this. I does not break trade rules in fact the wrote with this in mind. What it is, is when our government spends money they reserve the right to buy in Canadian regardless of trade agreements. Ask yourself this why doesn't the government buy things made in Canada? The US has a law like this the government will spend money on US goods as opposed to goods from other countries. Why not they are the government keeping the money in Canada seems worth it.

I don't think it's a good idea. We generally export more than we import and a "Buy Canadian" clause sends the wrong message to our trading partners.

I think import duties from China, Japan etc might be a really good idea but a "Buy Canadian" stimulus package is a short term solution that will make all of the infrastructure more expensive. It would ultimately cost the tax payers and only prolong long term competitive problems these unions have.

Edited by Moonbox

I don't think it's a good idea. We generally export more than we import and a "Buy Canadian" clause sends the wrong message to our trading partners.

I think import duties from China, Japan etc might be a really good idea but a "Buy Canadian" stimulus package is a short term solution that will make all of the infrastructure more expensive. It would ultimately cost the tax payers and only prolong long term competitive problems these unions have.

All of our trading partners have these clauses we are one of the only countries in the world who does not protect our own workers.

Almost every other country in the world has this. I does not break trade rules in fact the wrote with this in mind. What it is, is when our government spends money they reserve the right to buy in Canadian regardless of trade agreements.
What other countries do is irrelevant. It is also wrong to say that trade agreements condone this.

Finally, our government should simply buy the best product at the best price whatever its source. If it wants to transfer money to Canadians, there are better and easier ways of doing this than creating some complicated "job creation" scheme.

Why should you or I be free to buy a foreign product if we choose but the government buyers do not have the same freedom?

This proposal of the unions should be seen for what it is: an attempt to get free money.

If we export more than we import its probably because we exported most of our manufacturing base.

Buying local is becoming an honoured tradition as time passes everywhere you look in this country. Unions are as within their right to call for this as local merchants are to encourage support for local business. Its a matter of choice.

Yet again we see another very important issue that effects everyone that is best left up to Canadians to decide upon in a referendum. Of course in our democracy we've limited ourselves to one or two choices in a blue moon so we're as bereft of any real choice in our democracy as we are in our economy it seems. I guess I really shouldn't be surprised.

We've heard the adage the freer the trade the freer the people. I don't believe that anymore but I do think the freer the people are the freer the trade will be.

If we export more than we import its probably because we exported most of our manufacturing base.

Buying local is becoming an honoured tradition as time passes everywhere you look in this country. Unions are as within their right to call for this as local merchants are to encourage support for local business. Its a matter of choice.

Yet again we see another very important issue that effects everyone that is best left up to Canadians to decide upon in a referendum. Of course in our democracy we've limited ourselves to one or two choices in a blue moon so we're as bereft of any real choice in our democracy as we are in our economy it seems. I guess I really shouldn't be surprised.

We've heard the adage the freer the trade the freer the people. I don't believe that anymore but I do think the freer the people are the freer the trade will be.

NAFTA has a clause in it. The government of countries are allowed to make laws so those governments buy from their people. I don't know why we don't do this.

When something is overpriced, people shop for something else....

The goverment is trying to help Canadians with stimulus. It's our tax dollars they're using. The price tag should not be the issue, if it means employment and subsequent tax dollars. This unique stimulus is supposed to be an investment in Canada and Canadians.

The goverment is trying to help Canadians with stimulus. It's our tax dollars they're using. The price tag should not be the issue, if it means employment and subsequent tax dollars. This unique stimulus is supposed to be an investment in Canada and Canadians.

You think when they repair the T-can they will go elsewhere?

Farming out jobs and protectionism are two different things. One might make sense case by case, the other is stupid and makes no sense to a trading nation and one that can not prosper in a protectionist climate that is likely to sput a trade war.

Again, as with the US stimulus package, this is a unique situation. We need immediate action and target those hardest hit. Under normal circumstances, look for bargains. Under these circumstances, look for the Canadians who are suffering.

Not only do I disagree with this statement from the unions, but even as a liberal, I find it hard to believe that unions have any credibility anymore.

In the early part of the 20th century, unions were an inspiring and needed force. They changed things for the better in North America and Europe. Most of the really important things that unions asked for (back then) became part of Canadian law, and that's a good thing.

Today, unions are what's wrong with our economy. They promote a false sense of entitlement that is not linked to economic sustainability. The only good thing about a potential GM bankruptcy would be if it could ditch its' unions. Sadly, Obama is not able or willing to go in that direction.

Countries like China and India might benefit from a well-organized labour movement. But I don't see what useful purpose unions serve here.

In my job, I have spent quite a bit of time contracted out to other companies. In my experience, the worst organizations to work in are unionized ones. They're incredibly inefficient and it's hard to get anything done.

Almost every other country in the world has this. I does not break trade rules in fact the wrote with this in mind. What it is, is when our government spends money they reserve the right to buy in Canadian regardless of trade agreements. Ask yourself this why doesn't the government buy things made in Canada? The US has a law like this the government will spend money on US goods as opposed to goods from other countries. Why not they are the government keeping the money in Canada seems worth it.

I agree. Let's start with the Canadian military. Mass layoffs in Canada because contracts went to Texas. Make the necessary alterations to our factory and keep Canadians employed. It's a no brainer.

The military has bought knives from one Nova Scotia company for more than 50 years. To save a few bucks Peter MacKay cancelled the contract and is now buying knock offs from China. Soldiers are complaining that the handles keep falling off. This is unacceptable.

We are not changing our import/export contracts. We are only talking about the unique infastructure work to help get the ecomony back on track. This would mean additional spending, that our foreign trade partners had not, until very recently, anticipated.

If we are expected to swallow the massive deficit projections, we should at least get a taste of the things we're going into debt for.

Edited by Progressive Tory

Again, this has nothing to do with free trade. It is a unique economic stimulus designed to kick start the economy. If that means getting temporary tunnel vision, so be it. It's our money and our debt. Canadian jobs should be the only priority.