The Rebounding Liberals have SHACKLED The Cons To The Center

They tried selling Dion's PhD and Canadians didn't buy it. Good for Ignatieff he has a PhD. All the great Presidents and Prime Ministers I know of didn't have a PhD. If you think the average Canadian is going to think a PhD is the end all and be all, I suggest you step out of your ivory tower. Agriculture professors have PhD's as well, they also can't hack it running a farm so they have to play at the University. Any time anyone with a PhD in agriculture mentions something I roll my eyes, why in the blue hell am I going to listen to ag advise from someone who's farm went belly up?

If Stockwell Day with a highschool diploma balanced Alberta's books and made it the most friendly business environment, I suggest Ignatieff go to his alma mater and ask for a refund.

HERE, HERE!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Teaching tomorrow's leaders in the US and UK, giving him a better understanding of our place on the world stage
Guess his lectures were effective. He gave comfort to Bush and Blairs invasion of Iraq and his OK for the use of torture.

Yes Iggy spreads the humanity of torture.

April 2006 | 121 » Essays » If torture works.

The debate over torture is not as simple as it seems. Those of us who oppose torture under any circumstances should admit that ours is an unpopular policy that may make us more vulnerable to terrorism

Michael Ignatieff

http://www.hrw.org/en/news/2006/04/26/torture-doesnt-work

Torture doesn't work

April 26, 2006

Related Materials: Torture - A Human Rights PerspectiveIn last month's Prospect, Michael Ignatieff wondered if torture, under some circumstances, may make us safer. The answer is a firm no.

Ignatieff would makes a strong case for the Bush Administrations use of Torture. Something that John McCain is against.

Yes, even those on the Right can be against ripping off a testicle or two. Iggy believes in levels of torture, the debate for him might be over one testicle or two. At some point the Torture is to much for him.

Of course he wavers later on, much like the Iraq position.

Apparently what was good for Bush was good for him, "even though he didn't agree with Bush" it is difficult to tell the difference.

No doubt Iggy has blood on his hands as an intellectual who educates people that War is Good and Torture is Acceptable. Especially if applied to the bad guys.

Ignatieff is running around pretending to be a Liberal "human rights watch" intellectual, he condones torture while trying to say he is personally against it. What a crock of shiite.

I expect Mr. Ignatieff to flesh out the Liberal Policy for Acceptable levels of torture in a Liberal Government.

If you went out on the street and asked Canadians how they feel about Michael Igantieff having taught for five years at Harvard instead of hanging around here at home; the reaction would be "He taught at Harvard? Wow!"

Actually, many Canadians would say "big deal" and many others never even heard of him.

If you want to stack Stockwells Day's highschool diploma against Ignatieff's PhD and sell it to Canadians, you'd better dip it in chocolate first.

Dip it in chocolate? What is it that you are implying in strait terms?

"No policy, no plan, no credibility, only arrogance" is just rhetoric based on wishful thinking.

It would be nice if this wasn't an apt description of the Liberal Party today. Unfortunately, it fits quite well.

First of all Harper is a right winger - an extreme one like the Reformers he came from.

Define "extreme". Because it seems to me on reading you that anyone who disagrees with you in any substantive way at all is "extreme".

Which, actually, just shows how extreme you are.

They tried selling Dion's PhD and Canadians didn't buy it. Good for Ignatieff he has a PhD. All the great Presidents and Prime Ministers I know of didn't have a PhD. If you think the average Canadian is going to think a PhD is the end all and be all, I suggest you step out of your ivory tower.

Of course Canadians didn't swallow Dion just because of his PhD. He's a lousy communicator and came across like a wimp. Liberals, like conservatives, couldn't stand Dion.

Agriculture professors have PhD's as well, they also can't hack it running a farm so they have to play at the University. Any time anyone with a PhD in agriculture mentions something I roll my eyes, why in the blue hell am I going to listen to ag advise from someone who's farm went belly up?

Yessir, them ed-i-cated folks got no idea how to run a farm!

Of course Canadians didn't swallow Dion just because of his PhD. He's a lousy communicator and came across like a wimp. Liberals, like conservatives, couldn't stand Dion.

Yessir, them ed-i-cated folks got no idea how to run a farm!

That's why they're teaching where they can't run out of money. If they knew how to run one, they'd be running one, the money is better than prof pay.

If Stockwell Day with a highschool diploma balanced Alberta's books and made it the most friendly business environment, I suggest Ignatieff go to his alma mater and ask for a refund.

You'd have to have the brain-size of weasel to not be able to balance the books when the cash from oil is rolling in. But even if it were true in an actual sense, I would imagine his deputy ministers and the bureaucracy of his ministry were probably the ones actually responsible. Stockwell Day, it strikes me, would have a hard time figuring out which shoe to put on which foot.

You'd have to have the brain-size of weasel to not be able to balance the books when the cash from oil is rolling in. But even if it were true in an actual sense, I would imagine his deputy ministers and the bureaucracy of his ministry were probably the ones actually responsible. Stockwell Day, it strikes me, would have a hard time figuring out which shoe to put on which foot.

Same goes with the federal budget of the 90's concerning free trade and the gst.

And even more massive spending by the Liberals in their 05 platform. The one that got them punted from office

So nothing to do with sponsorship and the RCMP investigation?

If massive spending was an issue, why were the Tories doing it in even a bigger way?

The one that got them punted from office

The RCMP lost the election for the Liberals....it could ven be seen in the polls at the time....People were afraid that it was aonther adscam....and then we found out that thea accusations were baseless when it came to the politicans.

The RCMP lost the election for the Liberals....it could ven be seen in the polls at the time....People were afraid that it was aonther adscam....and then we found out that thea accusations were baseless when it came to the politicans.

The tories had the scary scary demon to fight off. People saw that the Liberals were corrupt and their platform sucked and their voting intentions proved that. Blaming the Liberal loss on the RCMP is proposterous. Harper ran the better campaign, was not corrupt, and had the better platform.

That's like saying Obama won because he's a minority.

And yet the Liberals looked to repeat a minority until the RCMP announcement put them down 10 points. To think anything else is preposterous.

You don't know that, the tories had momentum the whole time, and the Liberals ran a pitiful campaign. Beer and Popcorn anyone? The Liberal attack ads? Keep making excuses...

You don't know that, the tories had momentum the whole time, and the Liberals ran a pitiful campaign. Beer and Popcorn anyone? The Liberal attack ads? Keep making excuses...

Please. 10 points overnight. Immediately after the announcement. That isn't momentum. That is a overnight collapse.

Please. 10 points overnight. Immediately after the announcement. That isn't momentum. That is a overnight collapse.

Yet the tories didn't win by 10 points now did they? It was a better run campaign, the tories didn't slip up and made policy announcements every day. Over time that did the Liberals in.

The Liberals got a healthy boost when Ignatieff and dion were crowned leader. Am I to take that as a tory collapse as well?

The polls all throughout the campaign showed the tories slowly wearing down the Liberals. The RCMP announcement was an outlier. Had that affected things like you said, the tories would very likely would have had a majority.

Yet the tories didn't win by 10 points now did they? It was a better run campaign, the tories didn't slip up and made policy announcements every day. Over time that did the Liberals in.

It isn't what most pollsters and other analysts thought.

The Liberals got a healthy boost when Ignatieff and dion were crowned leader. Am I to take that as a tory collapse as well?

A completely predictable event that polls have shown numerous times.

The polls all throughout the campaign showed the tories slowly wearing down the Liberals. The RCMP announcement was an outlier. Had that affected things like you said, the tories would very likely would have had a majority.

It wasn't an outlier. It was a 10 point drop overnight. The Liberals never recovered after that.

The books were balanced on $30/barrel oil in the nineties when the royalties weren't that good. It was until we were long out of debt when it hit 70, then 140.

The books were balanced on $30/barrel oil in the nineties when the royalties weren't that good. It was until we were long out of debt when it hit 70, then 140.

Other provinces also climbed out of deficit at the same time. Most did it without oil revenues. Some had deeper holes to climb out from such as Saskatchewan which the Tories left way down.

It's all about management. Alberta was conservatively managed and had good results - very impressive..The liberal factions in the rest of Canada were resentful and envious because they would have to admit their own short commings - that social experimentation also leads to finacial experimentation - it's a gamble - Conservatives don't gamble - because they know the house always wins. It's pretty sad when you are blamed and persecuted because you did the right thing.