Has Barack Obama rendered Harper extinct?

Barack Obama has been on the job for only two days now, but his policies and pronouncements regarding detainees, the Middle East, foreign policy, etc. are so at odds with the policies of Stephen Harper that I wonder if Stephen Harper has been made politically extinct by Barack Obama.

I suspect that the time of politicians like Stephen Harper and the people who share his values has passed.

Barack Obama has been on the job for only two days now, but his policies and pronouncements regarding detainees, the Middle East, foreign policy, etc. are so at odds with the policies of Stephen Harper that I wonder if Stephen Harper has been made politically extinct by Barack Obama.

I suspect that the time of politicians like Stephen Harper and the people who share his values has passed.

Harper's policy on detainees - "it's your mess you clean it up, NIMBY, etc."

Foreign policy - both are gung ho about afghanistan except now Harper wants out.

The Middle East - both kept their traps shut concerning Gaza, and when they did open them they gave the same dodgy answers.

And then there is Obama's cutting off the nutbars from the American money by making their own energy, well Canada is open for business. The more the Americans want energy independance, the better it is for Canada and Harper, Harper is laughing.

Then the two want to work together on enviro policy.

Oh yes, those two are going to hate each other... :rolleyes:

Harper's policy on detainees - "it's your mess you clean it up, NIMBY, etc."

Foreign policy - both are gung ho about afghanistan except now Harper wants out.

The Middle East - both kept their traps shut concerning Gaza, and when they did open them they gave the same dodgy answers.

And then there is Obama's cutting off the nutbars from the American money by making their own energy, well Canada is open for business. The more the Americans want energy independance, the better it is for Canada and Harper, Harper is laughing.

Then the two want to work together on enviro policy.

Oh yes, those two are going to hate each other... :rolleyes:

The only area Harper has to worry about, and to be honest, it would be the same regardless of who was Prime Minister, is the danger that Obama may look to protectionism to shore up fading US industries. As much as some folks up here seem to hate Republicans, the fact is that they're a lot more trade friendly then the Democrats.

As to what it means politically, it's really a nonsensical question. The lesson of the Mulroney-Reagan relationship is that it's very dangerous for Canadian PMs to be seen as too tight with a US Administration. I find that rather sad, because Mulroney moreso than any post-war Prime Minister, was able to get Canada on the US Administration's map (a particularly notable accomplishment, considering it was Reagan). At this time, with our mutual economic problems, the US's goal of energy independence and with our own concerns over the High Arctic, I think it behooves whoever is PM to make real friendly-like with Obama.

The only area Harper has to worry about, and to be honest, it would be the same regardless of who was Prime Minister, is the danger that Obama may look to protectionism to shore up fading US industries. As much as some folks up here seem to hate Republicans, the fact is that they're a lot more trade friendly then the Democrats.

As to what it means politically, it's really a nonsensical question. The lesson of the Mulroney-Reagan relationship is that it's very dangerous for Canadian PMs to be seen as too tight with a US Administration. I find that rather sad, because Mulroney moreso than any post-war Prime Minister, was able to get Canada on the US Administration's map (a particularly notable accomplishment, considering it was Reagan). At this time, with our mutual economic problems, the US's goal of energy independence and with our own concerns over the High Arctic, I think it behooves whoever is PM to make real friendly-like with Obama.

US energy independance is good news for Canada. There is no way the US can be totally energy independant. If they want to cut the knees out from the middle east, that's fine for us because we still will be selling them oil, we will still be supplying them with Uranium, grain prices will rise, and we will still be supplying them with hydro, and maybe moreso.

It also makes sense for any PM of any country to make nice with a politician as immensley popular as Obama.

it's broader than specific policies and pronouncements - the end of the so-called Conservative era. Definitely, time passed.

John Howard - gone

the Shrub - just gone

Harper - going, soon to be gone

I was listening to Obama speeches this PM and I think he going to ask Canada to stay in Afg. and troops will be leaving Iraq in 2011 when Harper will be taking ours out of combat mode in the south of AGH. Im sure they will talk about the "dirty`oil sands and how its creating more problems with the environment and how congress passed a bill not to take dirty oil from countries.

I agree with Blueblood as they seem to be more inline than Harper was with Bush. Plus now I bet the Left will not start Obama Jr....

It is all playing out well for the conservatives.

A Republican in the Whitehouse makes Liberals contrast look more appealing in Canada....

US energy independance is good news for Canada. There is no way the US can be totally energy independant. If they want to cut the knees out from the middle east, that's fine for us because we still will be selling them oil, we will still be supplying them with Uranium, grain prices will rise, and we will still be supplying them with hydro, and maybe moreso.

It also makes sense for any PM of any country to make nice with a politician as immensley popular as Obama.

When US politicians talk about "energy independence", what they really mean is "not buying most of our oil from countries that will cash our cheques one day and then export their religious fanatics the next".

That's a year old.

you're right, my glasses are at home....I saw January and copyright 2009...

on the other hand at least I put in alink for all to see rather than others who find that having others check their work too time consuming ...

Edited by M.Dancer

To be far the last time I saw a number it was 35% although I am sure it has dropped as all world leaders have in this crisis.

Gordon Brown is God right now in Britain. Also, I think Nico Sarkozy is popular not only in France but allover in western Europe. Well, I think its around 48-9% but it ain't bad.

Edited by SSD

It's funny, Obama and Harper have quite a bit of common interest, yet people on the left like to act like Obama is a saint and Harper is the devil.

Stop me if this sounds familiar:

"families are tightening their belts, and so should washington." -- Barack Obama (talking about freezing pay for staff) source: CBC National

Where have I heard something like that before? Wait, I know:

Our Government values the contribution and hard work of our public servants. They must be fairly compensated for their work on behalf of Canadians.

We must bear in mind that their work is also paid for by Canadians.

We will introduce legislation to ensure that the pay for the public sector grows only in line with what taxpayers can afford as the economy slows.

This legislation will put in place annual public service wage increases of 2.3 per cent for 2007–08, and 1.5 per cent for the following three years.

http://www.fin.gc.ca/ec2008/Speech/speech-eng.html

"The question we ask today is not whether our government is too big or too small, but whether it works - whether it helps families find jobs at a decent wage, care they can afford, a retirement that is dignified. Where the answer is yes, we intend to move forward. Where the answer is no, programs will end." -- Barack Obama (Inauguration Speech)

I've heard something like this before too. *scratches chin* Ah, here we go:

In the broader fiscal picture, we will expand the actions under the new Expenditure Management System we put in place in 2007. We will use this systemic approach to help keep spending growth on a sustainable track.

Under this new system, the Government has been reviewing all departmental program spending. The Government already examined department spending of $13.6 billion in 2007, and is examining $25 billion in program spending this year.

For the first time in nearly 15 years, the Government is also expanding this businesslike and multi-year review to include corporate assets: Crown corporations, real property and other holdings.

The review will take a careful approach to the sale of any asset, considering market conditions and ensuring fair value can be realized for the benefit of taxpayers.

Our Government expects to save over $15 billion over the next five fiscal years under the new Expenditure Management System. This system will be an invaluable tool to help us maintain balanced budgets, along with the other steps announced today.

http://www.fin.gc.ca/ec2008/Speech/speech-eng.html

And don't forget that Obama wants to expand the war in Afghanistan that people on the left have constantly criticized Harper for -- even though it was Paul Martin that sent Canadian troops to the most dangerous part of the country.

Harper has consistently said he wants better relations with the US since before he became Prime Minister, and now that the US has a president that you like so much, you ought not to complain.

I think they will have a fine relationship. The left thinks that Obama is theirs. I think they will be disappointed. He is a common sence guy from all indications so far. The left in Canada starts to stumble about when for so long have critisized Harper for ending his speechs with God Bless Canada! Oh the horror they cried! We are a seculer country. Don`t force your God upon us!Now they have an American President that they believe is theirs who quotes scripture and says God Bless America. Obama attends church and Harper very seldom. What do leftys say now? Hmmm

"In the United States, the slogan today is, Yes We Can. In Canada, it's No You Can't. Try to imagine Harper having the grace and wit to do what Obama did on the eve of his inauguration: hold a celebratory public dinner for defeated Republican presidential candidate, John McCain."

http://www.thestar.com/comment/article/575770

Has any PM ever had a dinner for an opposing runner up? Who are you quoting when you say the slogan , no we can`t? I have no recollection of our present PM saying that any such thing! I look forward to your reply.

I think they will have a fine relationship. The left thinks that Obama is theirs. I think they will be disappointed. He is a common sence guy from all indications so far. The left in Canada starts to stumble about when for so long have critisized Harper for ending his speechs with God Bless Canada! Oh the horror they cried! We are a seculer country. Don`t force your God upon us!Now they have an American President that they believe is theirs who quotes scripture and says God Bless America. Obama attends church and Harper very seldom. What do leftys say now? Hmmm

Obama would be unelectable in Canada because of his outward Christianity. Obama had a conservative minister speak at his swearing in. Can you imagine how crazy the Liberals and the NDP would go if Harper had done this.

Edited by Mr.Canada