Layton/NDP plan to vote against budget no matter what

From the Ottawa Citizen.

New Democratic Party leader Jack Layton made clear that his MPs are poised to vote against the budget regardless of what's in it because he doesn't trust Mr. Harper.

"If the Liberals decide to support Mr. Harper, I have to tell them they should know this -- they will be doing it alone," Mr. Layton said in a speech to his parliamentary caucus.

Way to have any sort of open mind there Mr. Layton. What a meat-head. Can't you at least PRETEND to try to work with the gov't? Frustrating.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the Ottawa Citizen.

Way to have any sort of open mind there Mr. Layton. What a meat-head. Can't you at least PRETEND to try to work with the gov't? Frustrating.

To paraphrase Carville, it's not the economy, stupid. It's Harper, stupid. For the NDP and the Bloc it doesn't matter what's in the budget because the problem is Stephen Harper. The NDP and the Bloc, and perhaps even the Liberals, know that Stephen Harper cannot be trusted to implement the budget and work with the Opposition parties.

The problem is Stephen Harper. If he was trustworthy the Opposition parties might work with him, but he cannot be trusted, and he will seize the first opportunity--even to the detriment of the country--to destroy the Opposition parties.

Ok, so what does trusting the PM have to do with voting on the budget?

Its not only about the budget for Mr. Layton. its about confidence in the government on many levels. He does not have any confidence in the Prime Minister.

Ok, so what does trusting the PM have to do with voting on the budget?

Nothing.

More partisan politics from Jack.

Ummmm it has everything to do with the budget. You have trust Harper`s projections of the coming future, you have to trust that the Budget will do what it says it will do and so on and so. Don't take my word for it though take Harper's back when the Liberals were in charge Harper demanded they create the PBO because the Liberals were lying about their budget projections to get surpluses. I mean maybe you don't believe Harper that you have to trust the party in charge when voting on budgets I can see how one wouldn't believe him.

From the Ottawa Citizen.

It's little more than Canute trying to command the tides. Ignatief has already signaled that the Liberals will back the budget, so this is the proverbial midget trying to stand up to Andre the Giant.

Iggy and Layton are not reading from the same playbook. Iggy said he'll look at the budget before deciding if he'll vote for or against. Cracks are appearing in the coalition.

Cracks aren't appearing in the Coalition, the Coalition is dead dead dead. It's a stillborn fetus, too genetically mutated to survive even to full gestation.

It's little more than Canute trying to command the tides. Ignatief has already signaled that the Liberals will back the budget, so this is the proverbial midget trying to stand up to Andre the Giant.

Ignatieff says he will only vote in favour of the budget if it has a modest deficit and no broad base tax cuts. Harper's already saying that the deficit will be 40 Billion. Hardly modest by any standards.

As to Jack Layton, I respect his stand because nothing but nothing will ever give him confidence in a man who lied through his teeth to extend his political career.

Besides, The Cons are running ads telling people to encourage their MPs to vote for the budget WITHOUT SEEING IT! The man needs a straight jacket.

Just got my Coalition update. Something's going on. Word is a group called the Council of Canadians, or Council for Canadians is about to launch something. Another full page ad? Everyone is very excited. A little Obama fever for Iggy I think....or maybe it's vodka. Can't say for sure. I'll post if I hear anything else.

Layton can say whatever he wants as he knows the NDP will never form a government alone, ever. So he is free to spout whatever he likes without consequences of ever having to do anything other than pout and stamp his feet in the corner. The NDP is the party for everyone who doesn't belong anyplace else.

I have no trouble seeing why Harper would not be trusted AT ALL by, particularly, the lesser party leaders. That said, the stakes are too high to reject anything out of hand without seeing it first.

But I wouldn't be so quick to say the coalition is dead, either. Far, far on the back burner, for sure, but we have no reason to completely trust that this budget will be any less irrationally combative than the 'update', and if that's the case, then our choice will be reduced to election or coalition.

We've already been effectively without governance for far too long, and have little reason to believe another election would have a substantively different result, so the coalition could be rightly resurrected in a heck of a hurry.

The King/Byng rerun won't be over until a budget is passed, and even with the Liberals being willing to see this one, it is by no means certain that it will be acceptable. The update was supposed to be no biggie, and easily passed, too, but it wasn't.

I have no trouble seeing why Harper would not be trusted AT ALL by, particularly, the lesser party leaders. That said, the stakes are too high to reject anything out of hand without seeing it first.

But I wouldn't be so quick to say the coalition is dead, either. Far, far on the back burner, for sure, but we have no reason to completely trust that this budget will be any less irrationally combative than the 'update', and if that's the case, then our choice will be reduced to election or coalition.

We've already been effectively without governance for far too long, and have little reason to believe another election would have a substantively different result, so the coalition could be rightly resurrected in a heck of a hurry.

What was combative about the update? The public funding of political parties? Is that the only thing that bothered the opposition? What else about the update was combative?

So what the pigs are being taken from the public trough, what's the big deal? A party who's platform it is to seperate from Canada getting millions of Canadian taxpayer dollars a year is a thing you support? Good to know for the future, thanks Molly.

What was combative about the update? The public funding of political parties? Is that the only thing that bothered the opposition? What else about the update was combative?

So what the pigs are being taken from the public trough, what's the big deal? A party who's platform it is to seperate from Canada getting millions of Canadian taxpayer dollars a year is a thing you support? Good to know for the future, thanks Molly.

It was combative because it directly attacked Civil Servants, Union and Women. It was combative because it said that the only votes that counted were those in his direction. It was combative because despite the fact that he couldn't get his majority at the polls he was going to choke off the opposition's revenue, given to them freely by our vote. He forgot to take his own advice of how a PM must act in a Minority gov't. and unfortunately his whole Party is suffering for that memory lapse.

The only pigs at the trough are the ones who would prefer taxpayers shell out tax rebates for wealthy supporters (75% of the donation), instead of $ 1.95 reward for casting our vote democratically, knowing that even if they can't win we can at least make sure they are allowed to try.

The vast majority of us that voted NDP WANT Layton to vote no confidence at the earliest opportunity. I want him to instruct ALL NDP MP's to vote non confidence in the throne speech, or the very earliest chance available. Harper cannot be trusted to govern this country even one minute longer. As far as I'm concerned the budget is irrelevant. They should vote no confidence in him for running away from the last confidence motion.

The vast majority of us that voted NDP WANT Layton to vote no confidence at the earliest opportunity. I want him to instruct ALL NDP MP's to vote non confidence in the throne speech, or the very earliest chance available. Harper cannot be trusted to govern this country even one minute longer. As far as I'm concerned the budget is irrelevant. They should vote no confidence in him for running away from the last confidence motion.

I absolutely agree with you. It would be hypocritical of Layton to do anything else. HE HAS NO CONFIDENCE IN THIS MAN OR HIS PARTY AND IF THE BUDGET ENDS UP THE SAME FLAHERTY BOOK OF FAIRLY TALES AS THE ECONOMIC UPDATE, WE CAN'T TRUST THEM EITHER! I wish we could run Harper out on the rails today. We can't afford to wait a moment longer.

Edited by Progressive Tory