Freedom, Health Care, Glasnost & Perestroika

MrC,

This takes funds and since we're in a crisis why drain the public purse more than it already is?

Why not give Canadians more choice. A two tier system would provide this with having yearly fees charged to use the new system generating money and not relying on the taxpayer for it. It would pay for itself. The model is brilliant.

Because the existing system is poorly managed. We've seen with the education system what this 'brilliant' model does. There are school districts in the US with no public school system.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MrC,

Because the existing system is poorly managed. We've seen with the education system what this 'brilliant' model does. There are school districts in the US with no public school system.

I'm sure they're in areas that can afford the tuition. Building a school for the minority of a demographic is a waste of money, they can and I'm sure do take the bus.

MH are you referring to school vouchers and the charter schools that are being touted in the United States? It seems that giving parents a choice in where they get to put their money for education actually has helped some of the poorer neighbourhoods.

http://www.reason.tv/video/show/60.html

No, CB.

I'm talking about districts where there isn't enough interest anymore to even have a public school. This to me is a sad thing. The US rose to where it is because of public education. In the 20th century it was a meritocracy.

Now, increasingly, it's about which school you went to. America has evolved into the England they revolted against.

Edited by Michael Hardner

I'm talking about districts where there isn't enough interest anymore to even have a public school. This to me is a sad thing. The US rose to where it is because of public education. In the 20th century it was a meritocracy.

Not necessarily, the United States is really grasping on to its public education system. If you look at most countries school reform has taken shape in one form or another, and the Netherlands also has a school voucher system where parents are given full freedom in terms of choosing which school their kids go to.

I can to some degree see the need for funding a public school if their are no other alternatives available though.

No, CB.

Now, increasingly, it's about which school you went to. America has evolved into the England they revolted against.

Sad to you but it doesn't really matter what you think is it?

Saying that if this is what a majority of the people in that district want then it should be ok right?

After 62% never voted for Harper.

I think public school is a great way to foster a real community.

Once again, it depends. I think that alot of the public school's have been failing in many areas, and if given a choice between sending their kids to public schools or charter schools I think many would go with the latter.

Except that it would take money out of the public system....and it would rely on the same people as the public system for funding, so it would rely on the taxpayer.

Or it could use the same ways small business's start up, bank loans, venture capitalists, and angel loans. No public money needed at all. Sprinkle in a salary cap and voila.

I'm personally against a salary cap, if a business is willing to pay alot of money for a doctor, then that doctor should be able to earn every penny they earn.

That being said, I don't really know what you propose smallc, it seems that you want us to simply throw more money into the system and that's about it. As well we already have a defacto salary cap with our current system.

We already have a staffing problem in Canada. A salary cap would only make things worse. If anything, we need to pay more to attract more people.

Then impose a tax that is equivalent to the tuition paid. No sense in Canadian Universities training people only to have them emmigrate. There are large waiting lists to get into those programs. Why screw somebody out of a spot only to leave, when you could take your med school in the states.

Impose salary cap and only adjust for inflation. Problem solved.

I'm personally against a salary cap, if a business is willing to pay alot of money for a doctor, then that doctor should be able to earn every penny they earn.

That being said, I don't really know what you propose smallc, it seems that you want us to simply throw more money into the system and that's about it. As well we already have a defacto salary cap with our current system.

I'm also against paying up the ass in taxes going towards tuition freezes to med schools students only for them to go to the states. Only way to have adequate public care comperable to the private sector is a salary cap. Professional sports impose this to have better competition, why not the Health sector?

Well, I don't want to pay more, but if its necessary we may have to. I know right now, that if you work in a rural area, you get an incentive in this province. Also, if you graduate and stay here, you get your tuition back....besides, it would cost you whether you were paying the salary in taxes or insurance premiums.

Also, if you graduate and stay here, you get your tuition back....besides, it would cost you whether you were paying the salary in taxes or insurance premiums.

If this system was modeled after the one I prefer then it might cost more for some of us in insurance premiums, however we'll get a higher quality of care. As well if their was a growth in the healthcare industry in this nation then their would be more benefits as well when it comes to R&D.