Time Canada Closes Door

M.Dancer

The Canadian version of Time magazine is being axed, a spokesperson for the company that publishes it confirmed Wednesday.
A source at the company said that decision will result in 7 people at the company's Toronto sales office losing their jobs.

http://www.financialpost.com/story.html?id=1058671

Indirectly it will be more that that. There are the freelance writers as well as the rep houses that represented the Magazine to clients outside of Ontario...

Of course now McClones will be all over this..the crappy rag that it is.

http://www.financialpost.com/story.html?id=1058671

Indirectly it will be more that that. There are the freelance writers as well as the rep houses that represented the Magazine to clients outside of Ontario...

Of course now McClones will be all over this..the crappy rag that it is.

MacCleans is an excellent publication that supports free speech and a free Mark Steyn, a brilliant author.

Good riddance. Time magazine's veracity has been highly suspect since at least the early 50's when it appears to have participated in the CIA's overthrow of democracy in Iran. Good riddance to that too eh Mo?

Have you ever considered a career in farm fertizler?

Now lets see a citation for this outrageous tidbit from our resident kook.

Do you recall the Time articles you've linked to that painted Mossadegh in a bad light?

Part Three: Framing Coups: Iran and Guatemala includes two essays. The first essay, Discursive Subversions: Time Magazine, the CIA Overthrow of Musaddiq, and the Installation of the Shah, looks at the role mass media played in producing the "structure of feeling" in which the coup was conceived and executed. The author argues that Time magazine "influenced U.S. foreign policy; both drew on and contributed to Orientalist discourses; Mussadiq and other actors tried to combat these influences; and the coup was a product of this struggle for discursive hegemony."(163) Through the essay the author asserts that Time's "Orientalist construction of Mussadiq as a demogogic, emotional, child-like fanatic who had become a Communist dupe served as an important catalyst for covert intervention. By contrast, Time's construction of the Shah Mohammad Reza Pahlavi as a pro-Western modernizer was a kind of Orientalism in reverse."(7) The second essay, Eisenhower's Guatemalan Doodle, or: How to Draw, Deny, and Take Credit for a Third World Coup, looks at how the "success of the coup in Iran helped to inspire the CIA plot to overthrow the democratically elected governemnt of Jacbo Arbenz in Guatemala."(7)

Source

Here's the book or part of it at least. Cold War Constructions

Its well known that the CIA bribed reporters during the execution of Operation Ajax and America's strangling of democray in Iran - an act that is likely the first dot in the series that connected to 9/11, Afghanistan, Iraq - who knows where it will all end? Iran was the very first foreign government the US overthrew and its quite likely that Time Magazine helped them do it.

Shame on both of you. Canadians will be better off with Time Canada gone. I only wish I could say the same for the likes of you.

Edited by eyeball

Do you recall the Time articles you've linked to that painted Mossadegh in a bad light?

Its well known that the CIA bribed reporters during the execution of Operation Ajax and America's strangling of democray in Iran - an act that is likely the first dot in the series that connected to 9/11, Afghanistan, Iraq - who knows where it will all end? Iran was the very first foreign government the US overthrew and its quite likely that Time Magazine helped them do it.

Shame on both of you. Canadians will be better off with Time Canada gone. I only wish I could say the same for the likes of you.

There were men in Canada duing that era (Iran Contra) who operated freely as weapons brokers with the full knowledge of the government. They armed both sides...so no nation is without sin. :rolleyes: Media companies are usually owned by the same people who deal in war supplies...and these are the same people that assist in the electoral appointments of our "leaders" - that's the system..buisness.

Excellent...Commandante Bong Hit cound a commie with an unsupportable opinion...

Shame though, commie opinions don't trump facts.

No mention whether Times reporting of the fraudelent referendums were factual or not....not question why that is..suffice to say, when it comes to reporting the truth, reporting bad things about the brutal murderous heros of the useful idiots of the left naturally makes you an Imperailst lackey...

To be fair, when Iran 'nationalized' the oil fields the term had a different name called 'theft'. Large forces in the World wanted their property back. I mean, if you owned 500 oil wells in Persia and somebody...anybody...up n' took 'em, you'd probably pay the CIA to get 'em back, too.

----------------------------------------------------------

The perils of duck hunting are great - especially for the duck.

---Walter Cronkite

commie opinions don't trump facts.

There's nothing that trumps the fact that Operation Ajax happened and the CIA plot to overthrow the elected popular leader of a soveriegn nation included bribing the media and that Time was probably right in the thick of it.

Suffice to say, when it comes to defending the sacred cow of US foreign policy, anyone that disagrees with you is naturally a communist or a toaster or a bong or something. You are truly as pathetic as you are transparent.

There's nothing that trumps the fact that Operation Ajax happened and the CIA plot to overthrow the elected popular leader of a soveriegn nation included bribing the media and that Time was probably right in the thick of it.

Still nothing to refute that Time's coverage of the phoney referendum held by the unconstitional regime wasn't accurate?

Quelle surprise!

Next you will say that the Shah didn't have any Iranian support....

Still nothing to refute that Time's coverage of the phoney referendum held by the unconstitional regime wasn't accurate?

Quelle surprise!

Next you will say that the Shah didn't have any Iranian support....

Why refute it, it was an act of desperation by a desperate man. The US and Britain were acting just as desperately, phonily and unconstitutionaly to overthrow a foreign government in a plot that included bribing the media and very likely Time Magazine.

Sure the Shah had his supporters too. So what, is that supposed to excuse for what the US and Britain did in violation of international law? In your universe the NDP, Liberal, Bloc coalition is probably an illegal regime.

Why refute it, it was an act of desperation by a desperate man. The US and Britain were acting just as desperately, phonily and unconstitutionaly to overthrow a foreign government in a plot that included bribing the media and very likely Time Magazine.

Sure the Shah had his supporters too. So what, is that supposed to excuse for what the US and Britain did in violation of international law? In your universe the NDP, Liberal, Bloc coalition is probably an illegal regime.

Cite the international law....

Cite the constitutional law..

You hurl accusation like a monkey hurls feces...only less intelligently....

The Shah had every right to overthrough the mossadgeh regime, it was unconsitutional, and that, unlike your feces like claims, is indeed a fact. As was the referendum which had no secret vote, which made the no side vote inanother location, which won by 99.9%

Your support for quasi fascist dictators is amusing....

• 1 month later...

http://www.nationalpost.com/related/topics...html?id=1059780

I see that I am quite late in posting this but after I stopped getting my weekly TIME since the new year commenced I felt that I should phone and see what was going on. I was surprised to see on the internet and to hear over the phone that the Canadian "advertiser" edition had been cancelled. Apparently there has been such an edition for 60 years! You will be able to subsrcibe to the US edition which is essentially the same except it has more American advertising. Anyways I think they could have handled it better and sent me a notice with an option to continue my subscription with the American version. Apparently notices have been sent AFTER the cancellation and will take an approximate 2 to 3 weeks to arrive. Fortunately the private company I ordered my subscription through is willing to substitute my subscription with that of an even higher value. I wonder if they offer the The New Yorker?

Edited by Charles Anthony
redundant OP; merged thread