Manning, Grey to receive Order of Canada

kimmy

As if Michaelle Jean wasn't busy enough, she's appointing new members to the Order of Canada this Friday. Among the 47 recipients are Preston Manning and Deborah Grey. (full list of appointees)

Preston will be made a Companion of the Order of Canada, which is considered the highest level of the award. There may be only 165 living Companions of the Order at any given time, so somebody literally has to die for you to get in. This is indeed an exclusive honor. Although during his career as an MP and leader Manning was often a focus of attacks, I think history looks much more favorably on Manning than it did when he was in office. His fiscal policies were adopted by the Chretien Liberals, and he articulated the principles on which the Clarity Act is based long before Chretien and Dion did. While many disagreed with Manning's beliefs, I think most agree that he embodied principle and integrity.

Deborah will be made an Officer of the Order of Canada, which is less exclusive but still a great honor. As the first Reform MP, and the longest serving, she helped usher in a new era, and will be remembered for her straightforward and down to earth prairie-mom demeanor.

I think both of these MPs are deserving recipients of this honor.

-k

Edited by kimmy

Because, of course, completely destroying a political party is an accomplishment worthy of an award!

That means, in a decade, that Dion and Layton will be getting one for their knives in the Liberal carcass.

What party did they destroy?

What party did they destroy?

Is there fumes coming out of the tar sands or something? The Progressive Conservatives, you incredibly silly person. You might have noticed they were reduced to what largely amounted to an Eastern rump while Reform, which maybe started off as an independent conservative party, absorbed a large enough portion of the PC's support in the West to pretty much guarantee the Liberals the keys of power.

Is there fumes coming out of the tar sands or something? The Progressive Conservatives, you incredibly silly person. You might have noticed they were reduced to what largely amounted to an Eastern rump while Reform, which maybe started off as an independent conservative party, absorbed a large enough portion of the PC's support in the West to pretty much guarantee the Liberals the keys of power.

I always thought that Mulrooney, Joe Clark and Jean Charest did that. The Party distroyed itself, otherwise there would have been no need to vote reform.

I don't know how you can blame Clark or Charest. Mulroney most certainly. But there didn't have to be the split. It ultimately gave Chretien a decade of unimpeded rule.

The competing egos between them put a damper on any kind of come back the party may have made. They also were a big part of rejecting anykind of merger or agreement with the alliance, until Peter Mckay and the breakaway alliance.

The competing egos between them put a damper on any kind of come back the party may have made. They also were a big part of rejecting anykind of merger or agreement with the alliance, until Peter Mckay and the breakaway alliance.

Maybe because up until the unholy alliance betweeen Harper and Mackay, the Reform/Alliance crowd was only interested in absorbing the PCs, without even giving any meaningful lip service to the notions of small-C conservatism. I mean, the Alliance rejected Preston Manning, who was showing some at least small success in reaching over to the PCs in favor of, of all people, Stockwell Day. If you were a small-C conservative in the PCs, WTF message would that be sending you.

Maybe because up until the unholy alliance betweeen Harper and Mackay, the Reform/Alliance crowd was only interested in absorbing the PCs, without even giving any meaningful lip service to the notions of small-C conservatism. I mean, the Alliance rejected Preston Manning, who was showing some at least small success in reaching over to the PCs in favor of, of all people, Stockwell Day. If you were a small-C conservative in the PCs, WTF message would that be sending you.

Time to bail off of this sinking ship would be the message I would get. The Alliance faction will be kicking themselves for deposing of Preston Manning for the reasons he is given this award and for his accomplishments on parliament hill. Having Day as leader was a disaster.

Because, of course, completely destroying a political party is an accomplishment worthy of an award!

Well, Brian Mulroney already has his Order of Canada.

That means, in a decade, that Dion and Layton will be getting one for their knives in the Liberal carcass.

Judging from the names on the list, it appears that most former Prime Ministers become a Companion of the Order, so Dion will probably-- oh, wait! haha, nevermind!

Joe Clark may have been a rump, but he was not an easterner. ;) Getting some witch-doctor to bring Joe's rotting corpse out of the cemetary to try to revive the party's fortunes was probably the final stroke for the PCs. I was quite young at the time and don't know what the thinking was. Shameless (and inept) ploy for Western votes? Attempt to appeal to those who were nostalgic for the glory days of his 6 month run as PM? Were they banking on his marvelous oratory skills to inspire? His really fresh vision for the future? Was Kim Campbell busy that week? If somebody with a long memory for pointless trivia can provide some insight onto why they went with Joe Clark, I'd be interested to hear it.

So why did the west turn against the PC party in such decisive fashion? Well, I think that in the business world there's a theorem or axiom (?) that goes something along the lines of "if everybody stops buying Brand X when Brand Y becomes available, Brand X was probably a piece of crap."

I gather you feel that Western Canadians had some kind of moral obligation to try to nurse the PC party back to health after the Mulroney gang drove it off a cliff? Why?

If the west was supposed to provide unconditional care and nurturing for the PC party in good times or bad, maybe it should have been more deserving of this support, and more loyal to the people who were assumed to provide it. They weren't. Big mistake, apparently.

Taken for granted one time too many.

-k

So why did the west turn against the PC party in such decisive fashion? Well, I think that in the business world there's a theorem or axiom (?) that goes something along the lines of "if everybody stops buying Brand X when Brand Y becomes available, Brand X was probably a piece of crap."

I gather you feel that Western Canadians had some kind of moral obligation to try to nurse the PC party back to health after the Mulroney gang drove it off a cliff? Why?

If the west was supposed to provide unconditional care and nurturing for the PC party in good times or bad, maybe it should have been more deserving of this support, and more loyal to the people who were assumed to provide it. They weren't. Big mistake, apparently.

Taken for granted one time too many.

-k

Don't forget Kimmy, there were over a million of us in Ontario alone who bailed on the PC's and followed Manning. Why? For the same reason! Brand X had become a piece of crap!

ToadBrother seems to be saying the fault was Reform's for giving us an alternative, not the PC's for being a bad offering. By that logic, I guess we're all at fault for not voting in the Marxist-Leninists. Or for no longer buying disco records.

As if Michaelle Jean wasn't busy enough, she's appointing new members to the Order of Canada this Friday. Among the 47 recipients are Preston Manning and Deborah Grey.

They both served well as public servants. Manning continues to show a certain humanity displaying a marked difference from some leadership styles we see now. Grey showed you could be one MP and make a difference.

Finally the right wing drought ends.

Really? Have you looked at the names included. There are lot of people with Tory ties.

Now where is Don Cherry's?

Maybe Harper will nominate for one. Just make sure that leftie Ron Maclean doesn't get one.

As if Michaelle Jean wasn't busy enough, she's appointing new members to the Order of Canada this Friday. Among the 47 recipients are Preston Manning and Deborah Grey. (full list of appointees)

To be factual, Deb Grey and Manning are already members of the O of C..they are getting promotions.

Maybe because up until the unholy alliance betweeen Harper and Mackay, the Reform/Alliance crowd was only interested in absorbing the PCs, without even giving any meaningful lip service to the notions of small-C conservatism.

The Progressive Conservatives had NO small-c policies or beliefs, fiscally or socially. They were a small l liberal party - which was essentially why the Reform party succeded.

Clark's arrogant bluster was the primary roadblock to an understanding between the tiny rump of what was left of the PCs after the small-c conservatives left for Reform and many of the "progressives" left for the Liberals.

But Mulroney's reign alienated many, and Kim Campbell ran what is probably the worst campaign in Canadian history, after which she was thrown out of the country and went into exile in California.

Don't forget Kimmy, there were over a million of us in Ontario alone who bailed on the PC's and followed Manning. Why? For the same reason! Brand X had become a piece of crap!

ToadBrother seems to be saying the fault was Reform's for giving us an alternative, not the PC's for being a bad offering. By that logic, I guess we're all at fault for not voting in the Marxist-Leninists. Or for no longer buying disco records.

Yes, it gave a *regional* alternative which essentially denied the conservative movement in Canada power. Ultimately a lot of what made up the Reform platform had to either be tossed or at least put on the backburner, and thus far that's only produced minority governments.