The option of Proroguing Parliament

punked

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper, battling to stay in power, persuaded the country's acting head of state on Thursday to suspend Parliament so he could avoid being ousted by opposition parties next week.

Governor General Michaelle Jean -- the representative of Queen Elizabeth, the head of state -- agreed to Harper's request to shut down Parliament until Jan 26. Parliament was reconvened just weeks ago after Harper's Conservatives were returned to power with a minority government in the October 14 election.

http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/news/internati...92000&ty=ti

This is great news.

Now Mr. Harper can get down to business with the Conservatives and their full scale campaign to demonize what they call "the separatist coalition".

Every last head of every last party including all their advisors should be sent home via train. Harper can get his after things are settled , but he too should go.

The whole lot need to be replaced.

I agree, what Harper has done is IMO sheer tactical genius as far as playing games go. That being said, it's poor strategy walking into an election campaign and doesn't bode well for his future should another minority gov't be elected.

Harper is now tainted as leader, although I get his plan. Harper needs a majority or he's gone. If I was tory Brass, I'd be looking to stick Bernard Lord in as party leader for the next election ASAP. They have a good reason to go for an election and to win a majority, Harper himself is now IMO cancer for a tory majority. Harper should have stayed in the backroom, his tactics are like it or not, effective.

I agree, what Harper has done is IMO sheer tactical genius as far as playing games go.

I honestly dont get how anyone can agree, let alone think this. I just dont see his genius in this move ( I dont mean it as a slag blbl-dont forget I voted for him prior to our last election)

He brought this on with his tactics and should have known this was a possibility. Without having made his own little coalition as a backup was wrong.

Harper is now tainted as leader, although I get his plan. Harper needs a majority or he's gone.

Barring any changes in respectful leadership at the Libs (like anyone is concerned with the NDP) I suspect he will get his majority. If he continues with his belittling ways, he will serve for four years and be gone.

Great job breaking this story, Mr Cronkite.

-k

{I think there might be another thread on this somewhere...}

Leafless usually isn't pulling a Dion.

But I can put the thread title to good use.

MAPLE LEAF WEB NOTICE

FEDERAL POLITICS FORUM

Due to the Prorogue of the Federal Parliment all Federal Government discussion on Maple Leaf Web

Federal Politics Forum will be shut down Friday December 5th 2008 at 3:30p.m.

The Maple Federal Politics Forum will reopen January 29th, 2009. We are sorry for any inconvience this may have caused and look forward to your continued participation in the new year. May you have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

The above notice applies only to the Federal Politics Forum, all other forums will continue as per normal.

Sincerely. MJ GG

December 4th, 2009

I honestly dont get how anyone can agree, let alone think this. I just dont see his genius in this move ( I dont mean it as a slag blbl-dont forget I voted for him prior to our last election)

He brought this on with his tactics and should have known this was a possibility. Without having made his own little coalition as a backup was wrong.

Barring any changes in respectful leadership at the Libs (like anyone is concerned with the NDP) I suspect he will get his majority. If he continues with his belittling ways, he will serve for four years and be gone.

I'm saying as far as playing games go, Harper has people dancing to his music. It's not good for a PM to do however. Harper's goal is to get a majority and as dobbin puts it "he'll be a horse's ass to do it". He's realized he can't get his majority in Quebec and has probably written it off. If he gets any seats there I'll be surprised. He has now fired up the electorate and is playing polarizing politics. It's your either with us or against us style. Harper kept daring the opposition to back down for the past year and a bit. He shelled Dion, he almost got a majority, then the Quebec thing happened. He either was going to bankrupt the opposition into a getting the tories a majority, or go to the polls. This however is a gift for Harper, he can now demonize the opposition and go to the polls with one hell of an election issue. From what I've seen, every little thing Harper has done, he has an out that works out for him in the end, IMO that's just brilliant. As far as fighting a political war, Harper's brilliant. As for winning hearts and minds, Harper is lacking there.

If Harper gets his majority, depending on how good of a job he does, I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happens to him as what happened to Chretien. Remember, the PM reports to party brass. Party brass likes their party in the captain's chair, anything that jeopardizes that is subject to swift and desicive action, ala Chretien. Politics is a bloodsport, the country is getting a crash course in that.

Thanks for the reply blueblood but I just cant agree that it was genius. If he gets his majority, and I think he will, then in hindsight he will be thought of as a genius. But that will be a happenstance occurence , not done by design.

When you jeopardize something you worked years for, one does not get the tag genius. Far from it.

When I see how, I dont want to say scared, but certainly uncomfortable last night on tv, that is not the genius talking.To me it seemed like the kid begging for a second chance. (Dion was worse but the video quality sucked too)

Chance, or risk management dictates that all the parameters are known , as best as can be known . SO it is no surprise he could have lost power, and that is not one should strive for.

In private business it is a different game. Gamble and win big you are a hero and get the monetary rewards. Lose and you are a goat, except you also take home millions to help you over the loser hump.

Harper had neither the millions nor the glory to gain. And in the long run I suspect he will not be well thought of from his own base. Lets not forget he played with their careers too.

But thanks , I guess we will just see this differently.

Thanks for the reply blueblood but I just cant agree that it was genius. If he gets his majority, and I think he will, then in hindsight he will be thought of as a genius. But that will be a happenstance occurence , not done by design.

When you jeopardize something you worked years for, one does not get the tag genius. Far from it.

When I see how, I dont want to say scared, but certainly uncomfortable last night on tv, that is not the genius talking.To me it seemed like the kid begging for a second chance. (Dion was worse but the video quality sucked too)

Chance, or risk management dictates that all the parameters are known , as best as can be known . SO it is no surprise he could have lost power, and that is not one should strive for.

In private business it is a different game. Gamble and win big you are a hero and get the monetary rewards. Lose and you are a goat, except you also take home millions to help you over the loser hump.

Harper had neither the millions nor the glory to gain. And in the long run I suspect he will not be well thought of from his own base. Lets not forget he played with their careers too.

But thanks , I guess we will just see this differently.

Perhaps I should have used the term "evil genius". His pleading thing was all part of the act, things were going smoothly. Another gift that the Libs tanked last night.

Whenever you are in politics, you always run the risk of losing. Harper has bigger stakes.

I think when he gets his majority, he's done. Canadians will be too upset with him.

The premise that the opposition relys on is that during this so-called economic crisis to waste millions on an election would be an afront to the poor suffering Canadians - that somehow the election would break the bank...I am sure that the banks would give an interest free loan over to all parties to hold an election - plus the spending during an election would actually stimulate the economy...Ironically - all players want immediate coaltion payouts that will make the price of an election pale in comparison.

The potential coalition panders to the economic fear in the voters. They intentionally attempt to make Canadains believe that the election will put Canada in the poor house - The price of an election is a tiny sum in the grand scheme of things. The great part of this intrigue is that it exposed the blind and selfish ambition and uncontrolable anger of the Harper haters...the public will remember...and the coaltionalist also realize that their move was much more burtal and arrogant than any retraction of party funding could ever be - Harper will come off looking like the good guy..they will come off looking like selfish parasites - still the majority of Canadians are so Americanized by liberalism that they are dummied down to the level of school children...and children are easily lied to ----------but not forever.

How many times are Conservative supporters going to tell that lie?

I am definately no Harper supporter, but I totaly agree with Pat Coghlan on the stooges thing. First thing, Harper won again. That was clear. Not to mention the fact this is the 3rd election in 6 years (1 every 2 years) and Harper won minority AGAIN. And with a narrower margin than last. This government has essentially been working for a month an a half. You honestly think you can solve some kind of major financial crisis in that time? I mean what if you put the bail out money in places that are gonna go belly up anyways. Christ, it is not an easy choice. So, better time spent critiquing Harper's bugdet and bail out plans and make a good compromise to benefit all. Instead another month and a half are wasted. Well, at least they get to spend more time with family this season.

If it's legal, and it keeps the 3 separatist stooges from controlling Canada's purse strings, I hope they go for it.

We don't have government anymore. Self interested lobbyists are what we elect to parliment. And it just might be time to change how our government works. Viva le revolution !?!

There was never any government just like there was never any money. Fiat currency and theatre...Now that we have got that striaght - It looks like real democracy has arrived - It's your turn to rule - THE PEOPLE>.. nothing lost nothing gained other than the realization that the power is in the people - YOU...People are the government - representatives are not government - just employees...why do I feel like the Wizard of OZ - telling you that you always had courage and a mind - plus a heart of gold which is your private economy..that you can share with a nation.

Edmonton Oilers 2008 Stanley Cup Champions.

It has just been announced that the Edmonton Oilers are named the new 2008 Stanley Cup Champions.

They have entered into a coalition with the Calgary Flames and the Vancouver Canucks. Together they have decided that they had more wins last season than the Detroit Red Wings and have declared themselves the champs.

Although they did not make the playoffs, they feel there is no need to have another playoff run as it is better for the league to just name Edmonton the champs.

Shawn Horcoff has declared himself as the Hart Trophy winner saving the league time on having to go through with lengthy voting process.

Detroit will have until Monday December 8, 2008 to remove its Stanley Cup banner from Joe Louis arena.

this just in. Harper takes his ball and goes home. On the way out he commented: "They didn't want to play with me and I don't want to play with them. This is my ball and I am going home."

In another news, countless canadians are applying to have their taxes prorogued until 2020. That is until the government fixes their eye sight and realizes that the economy is in dire straights and people need help.

I am definately no Harper supporter, but I totaly agree with Pat Coghlan on the stooges thing. First thing, Harper won again. That was clear. Not to mention the fact this is the 3rd election in 6 years (1 every 2 years) and Harper won minority AGAIN. And with a narrower margin than last. This government has essentially been working for a month an a half. You honestly think you can solve some kind of major financial crisis in that time? I mean what if you put the bail out money in places that are gonna go belly up anyways. Christ, it is not an easy choice. So, better time spent critiquing Harper's bugdet and bail out plans and make a good compromise to benefit all. Instead another month and a half are wasted. Well, at least they get to spend more time with family this season.

If they're not sure what to do, then follow the lead of Hippocrates (sp?) and "do no harm".

I think they need to try and mitigate, but that doesn't mean suddenly running a $30B+ deficit. Basically, we have to follow the US, but on a smaller scale. The government cannot prevent what is going to happen (and it's going to be nasty), only ease the symptoms a little.

That doesn't mean going bankrupt in the process, and that means not turning over Canada's purse strings to the 3 stooges and their leader "Moe" who was soundly rejected by Canadians and had already announced his resignation as leader of the Liberal party.

the GG isn't the PM's boss and yes, yes he can install a new GG

The GG can fire the Prime Minister. Seems like a boss to me. The Prime Minister can only ask that the Queen remove the Governor General, if she says no (and it would depend on the circumstances) then there is nothing he can do about it.

Er, the use of the word "obviously" leaves little room for wonderment.

The word "obviously" referred to your reluctance for Canadians to have a direct say in their affairs. As to who or what you may be, that is just speculation on my part.

Edited by Wilber