Coalition Government

madmax

Will the Government be brought down  

87 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I fought for this country and have certain beleifs and one of them is the hope that our Government and our Constitution would never be abused like this.

Thank you very much for your contribution in the military, and I do agree that our electoral system is first past the post, not pick up the scraps. This is a shabby way to do the business of government.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fought for this country and have certain beleifs and one of them is the hope that our Government and our Constitution would never be abused like this.

Thank you very much for your contribution in the military, and I do agree that our electoral system is first past the post, not pick up the scraps. This is a shabby way to do the business of government.

Thank you.....and it is

Ah, I just got it: he means take away the 10% of the House that is occupied by the Bloc.

Or rather the 10% of the vote they got, IC. I would say they have just as much legitimacy as any other party, even if I don't like one of their goals.

I have been in a few of those countries.....I would rather live in Canada thank you and live by the "normal" way of Electing Governments.

HAhahah

YOU:

"Raaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh I HATE DIFFERENT!!!! I want everything to be the same all the time, I need Normal"

Too bad that is not the way the laws of Canada are written deal with it.

Read the article in the Post by William Watson, Slim. Its a good article but it doesn't change by mind about what needs to be done.

I was never a big fan of Adam Smith or Milton Friedman. Harper's reponse has "Chicago School" written all over it.

We are now experiencing the consquences of monitarist policy on the economy.

I don't agree, the government has taken a rather reasoned aproach, they have stimulated the economy, and taken on belt tightening measures while keeping the door open to properly time stimuli.

Freidman (The Nobel Prize winner) and the Chicago schools theory is summed up here:

" his findings that discretionary countercyclical monetary policy could do more damage. He was first inspired in this direction by his analysis of the lag it takes for monetary policy decisions to affect the real economy. The analysis of lags was begun by Clark Warburton in the 1940s (see Warburton, 1966) and followed up by Friedman (1948, 1958, 1961) and Friedman and Schwartz (1963). He found the lags to be not only quite long, sometimes up to eighteen months, but also highly variable. The length and variability of the policy lag arises because, from a given output shock, it takes time for data to be collected and delivered, it takes some more time for the policymaker to be sure that there is actually a problem that needs to be remedied (to be sure there are no data errors, etc.), it then takes time to discuss and obtain agreement among the various relevant Central Bank governors on what the appropriate policy response is and, then, a little more time in getting that policy out to the trading desks to be implemented. Finally, there is the most complicated lag of all: the time it takes for the new Federal Funds interest rate to bring other interest rates into line and, more importantly, the time it takes to affect borrowing, investment and production decisions so that output is finally affected.

To forecast what output would be at such a long distance would be quite difficult: an expansionary monetary policy seeking to save a current recession might, because of this usually unpredictably long lag, actually only start impacting the real economy when the economy is already well into a boom - thus, its final result being largely inflationary. Further calculations on the lag of monetary policy showed contradictory results - at times only a few months, at other times it took almost two years, before impacting the economy. This would make countercyclical monetary policy even more difficult to conduct properly. Faced with unpredictable lags, Friedman decided that it might simply be less damaging to just stick to constant money growth rule and hope for the best."

So clearly by adjusting interest rates, offering liquidity to banks and other measures while offering the possibility of stimulus is contray to the Chicago school.

Or rather the 10% of the vote they got, IC. I would say they have just as much legitimacy as any other party, even if I don't like one of their goals.

Their only goal as stated is to break away from Canada and to look after only Quebec until that is done. Do they run outside of Quebec? In my view to have a say in this issue you have to have Canada's best interest at heart and I don't believe you can honestly say they care.

Why? Wouldn't that be the best testing ground for a potential leader? Or would this give undue advantage to the candidate? Heck, why not rotate the 3 of them in the position every 30 days until the convention.

The leader should be chosen by the membership and then serve as PM if the government survives past May.

The leadership candidates quit their portfolios to run. I don't see how they could take cabinet and PM positions and run for leadership, do you?

Their only goal as stated is to break away from Canada and to look after only Quebec until that is done. Do they run outside of Quebec? In my view to have a say in this issue you have to have Canada's best interest at heart and I don't believe you can honestly say they care.

Actually, all the members have to do is represent their constituents. The Bloc does that.

To sum up:

We have 4 parties in the House of Commons, all of which are putting their own interests ahead of the country's. Worldwide, capitalism is in crisis and these people are playing brinkmanship games. A pox on all of their houses.

We need electoral reform but it has to be in a manner that will greatly reduce the power of the parties.

hmm Slim

Guess it kinda depends on how long you think the crisis might last. My concern is making the same mis-steps the Japanese made in response to their economic crisis.

"Is Japan's 'lost decade' a window to the future?" by Marcus Gee has me thinking this way. Unfortunately the article isn't available on line anymore from the Globe and Mail, unless you want to pay for it.

There is real dangers in the huge bubble created by the subprime mess. Now that its burst many bets are off about what going to happen as a result.

Edited by reasonoverpassion

I am going to repost this beacuse it seems to have been missed

Well this says it all

"different direction than Harper’s taking us, you can’t trust him, no matter anything, throw him out. What about the legitimacy of the democratic process, yeah, what about it?" Jack Layton leaked NDP meeting

Well what were we saying about the democratic process and the respect paid to it.

what does this say about what these people are really after and what they think about the democratic process

"different direction than Harper’s taking us, you can’t trust him, no matter anything, throw him out. What about the legitimacy of the democratic process, yeah, what about it?" Jack Layton leaked NDP meeting

I think the point was...

Yeah, what about it, there is nothing undemocratic about this move.

I think the point was...

Yeah, what about it, there is nothing undemocratic about this move.

Read it again put down the partisanship and actually read the transcripts. What they are saying is we don't what a vote we don't need the democratic process, we will take harper out without the mandate from the Canadian public. If he ment their was nothing undemocratic about it that is what he would have said.

Its a scary day when your polticians try to subvert democratic process. I urge everyopne here write the Governor General and let her know that we the people of Canada want our vote and our say in the government of this country. This has now moved beyond party lines.