Nova Scotia should lower voting age to 16

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/081031/...l/ns_voting_age

Nova Scotia's opposition Liberal party wants to lower the voting age in the province to 16.

I think this is something that should be looked at nationally.

Sadly, this is what premier says:

Still, he also expressed some reservations about the idea, saying that as a former teacher he was concerned that 16-year-olds simply don't have the knowledge they need to make informed decisions about voting.

And yet many think 16 is adult enough to go to adult court, prison and sentencing.

I think if 16 is the age you can drive, 16 is plenty old to vote. Or does the premier want to raise the age of driving because 16 year olds can't make informed choices?

I think this is something that should be looked at nationally.

I agree. Most adults who vote really don't know much about politics, so there's really no excuse for not allowing kids to vote either? Maybe if they are allowed to, they will take more interest in politics and make more informed choices when they are older.

Also, it should be noted that the Green Party placed second in that student vote thing that they did...

I agree. Most adults who vote really don't know much about politics, so there's really no excuse for not allowing kids to vote either?

:huh:

Maybe if they are allowed to, they will take more interest in politics and make more informed choices when they are older.

Like you.

Also, it should be noted that the Green Party placed second in that student vote thing that they did...

That was easy.

Lower the drinking and voting age to 16. :P

It might be interesting to have the same age for when people are considered adult enough to be responsible in all ways for themselves.

For driving = 16

For voting = 16

For crime = 16

For military = 16

It might be interesting to have the same age for when people are considered adult enough to be responsible in all ways for themselves.

For driving = 16

For voting = 16

For crime = 16

For military = 16

If the voting age is 16, I think there should be a political science type class taught in high school that educates students on who and what the parties are, what they stand for, and their policies in an unbiased matter. If they are going to vote and shoulder that kind of responsibility, they need the tools to make a smart choice. For example, vote for the NDP because of their policies, not because it's "cool". This could actually smarten up the voting populace and encourage them to vote more.

If the voting age is 16, I think there should be a political science type class taught in high school that educates students on who and what the parties are, what they stand for, and their policies in an unbiased matter. If they are going to vote and shoulder that kind of responsibility, they need the tools to make a smart choice. For example, vote for the NDP because of their policies, not because it's "cool". This could actually smarten up the voting populace and encourage them to vote more.

I'm sure it will be a teaching moment most certainly.

Elections Canada already runs mock polls in the schools.

If we are to do something about the sorry state of voter turn out, we teach it early and often. We teach it in the home. We teach it in the schools.

It is a bigger responsibility in my view to drive a car since the ill effects of doing it wrong can result in your own death and the death of others. While a vote might do that as well, it doesn't not compete in the same way as driving does for personal responsibility on a daily basis. In short, if we let 16 year olds drive, why not vote?

Edited by jdobbin

Because it would be harder for the Conservatives to win, the same reason we shouldn't have PR or mandatory voting.

I'm not entirely convinced that it would result in Conservative defeat. My expectation is that the voter turn out will still be hard to get out. However, with the majority of 16 year olds living at home, my thinking is that many would initially be guided by their family's political support. This would mean a varied vote spread out amongst many parties.

In any event, the percentage of the vote that 16-18 year olds represent is hardly something that aromatically should instill fear in any party.

I'm not entirely convinced that it would result in Conservative defeat.

Neither am I but Conservatives certainly seem to be.

My expectation is that the voter turn out will still be hard to get out. However, with the majority of 16 year olds living at home, my thinking is that many would initially be guided by their family's political support. This would mean a varied vote spread out amongst many parties.

I've seen this in my own family alright and I've also seen a few parents following their kid's lead.

In any event, the percentage of the vote that 16-18 year olds represent is hardly something that aromatically should instill fear in any party.

On the subject of voting and aromatic fears...I think its safe to say the Marijuana Party might benefit from a younger voting age.

I'm sure it will be a teaching moment most certainly.

Elections Canada already runs mock polls in the schools.

If we are to do something about the sorry state of voter turn out, we teach it early and often. We teach it in the home. We teach it in the schools.

It is a bigger responsibility in my view to drive a car since the ill effects of doing it wrong can result in your own death and the death of others. While a vote might do that as well, it doesn't not compete in the same way as driving does for personal responsibility on a daily basis. In short, if we let 16 year olds drive, why not vote?

Just a class on the basics of CDN politics and most importantly doing it unbiased. It would be win win, an easy high school credit for students, parties benefit by having more votes cast, more people now vote because they understand it better. By having 16 year olds well educated in that area and realizing the importance of voting, it would increase the number and seriousness of votes. Also voting once at 16 with an understanding of politics makes for voting again while still young.

Actually that is covered under other laws. While the age of consent is 16, it does not apply to teachers having sex with students. It never did.

They currently get charged with sexual exploitation if the student is between 14 and 18. If you want to lower the age of adulthood to 16, then that law should be adjusted as well.

Old enough to drive your teacher to the school; old enough to drive your teacher after school.

They currently get charged with sexual exploitation if the student is between 14 and 18. If you want to lower the age of adulthood to 16, then that law should be adjusted as well.

I have no problems ensuring the law on sexual exploitation of anyone under the age of 18 by a person of authority remains.

The issue is the person of authority and one of dependency. The under 18 person is dependent on the person in authority and it a trust that should not be exploited. That is what the law says and that is why it is different from others laws.

I certainly don't see it as a reason to deny the vote to someone who is 16, do you?

Edited by jdobbin

What guarantee would we have that teachers wouldn't work to influence students to vote their way? I don't know about other provinces, but Ontario teachers are very militant when it comes to politics. For example, we saw a very active anti-Harris campaign spearheaded by teachers in the 1999 Ontario elections. Some teachers posted anti-Harris material on school property and wore anti-Harris T-shirts. We also know some worked on Liberal and NDP election campaigns. In addition, the teachers held many demonstrations in various jurisdictions to oppose Harris' education policies.

I think there are too many teachers, emboldened by strong unions, that are political activists. I can't help but think that this political activism spills over into the classroom and influences the students. I would not feel comfortable having my child's political development moulded any further by such a militant group. On that basis, I would not be in favour of lowering the voting age.

What guarantee would we have that teachers wouldn't work to influence students to vote their way? I don't know about other provinces, but Ontario teachers are very militant when it comes to politics. For example, we saw a very active anti-Harris campaign spearheaded by teachers in the 1999 Ontario elections. Some teachers posted anti-Harris material on school property and wore anti-Harris T-shirts. We also know some worked on Liberal and NDP election campaigns. In addition, the teachers held many demonstrations in various jurisdictions to oppose Harris' education policies.

I'm sorry. Are you listening to yourself? We heard similar arguments about not letting women vote. Some said they'd vote the way their husbands did. I'm sure some did but was it a reason to deny the vote?

I think there are too many teachers, emboldened by strong unions, that are political activists. I can't help but think that this political activism spills over into the classroom and influences the students. I would not feel comfortable having my child's political development moulded any further by such a militant group. On that basis, I would not be in favour of lowering the voting age.

Then do your job as a parent and present the political process as you see it is.

The anti-school campaign to deny 16 year olds the right to vote makes no sense.

I'm sorry. Are you listening to yourself? We heard similar arguments about not letting women vote. Some said they'd vote the way their husbands did. I'm sure some did but was it a reason to deny the vote?

We're not talking about denying anyone a vote. Neither are we talking about the vote as it applies to adults. The issue is whether the voting age should be lowered to 16. We're talking about the vote as it applies to teenagers. I see a big difference.

Then do your job as a parent and present the political process as you see it is.

A suggestion was made that the schools take on a specific and targeted role in preparing students to vote. I am opposed to that for the reasons I stated. As a parent, I don't think my kids were ready to vote at the age of 16 or 17 regardless of how much political education I afforded them.

The anti-school campaign to deny 16 year olds the right to vote makes no sense.

What do you mean by "campaign"?

We're not talking about denying anyone a vote. Neither are we talking about the vote as it applies to adults. The issue is whether the voting age should be lowered to 16. We're talking about the vote as it applies to teenagers. I see a big difference.

But it is okay to drive cars? Don't you think that poses more risk than a vote? Doesn't that entail more or just as much responsibility?

A suggestion was made that the schools take on a specific and targeted role in preparing students to vote. I am opposed to that for the reasons I stated. As a parent, I don't think my kids were ready to vote at the age of 16 or 17

regardless of how much political education I afforded them.

You keep them from driving as well?

I never suggested schools were the only place that will educate on the vote. I suspect that will come from family, from school, from work, from peers and mostly... from self education.

What do you mean by "campaign"?

The right wing campaign against public education being left wing.

But it is okay to drive cars? Don't you think that poses more risk than a vote?

Driving is a learned skill for one thing. And turning 16 doesn't give you the right to drive. You must demonstrate a level of competency.

Voting is closer to entering into a legal contract, which you need to be 18 to do. Or should 16 year olds be able to enter into contracts?

Driving is a learned skill for one thing. And turning 16 doesn't give you the right to drive. You must demonstrate a level of competency.

Did you demonstrate a level of competency at any point when you first started voting?

Voting is closer to entering into a legal contract, which you need to be 18 to do. Or should 16 year olds be able to enter into contracts?

It is not a legal contract.

It is funny to hear the same argument used against 16 year olds on the vote as ones used against women. People said they weren't competent and so on.

Even if the voting age wasn't lowered to 16, I would agree with your post.