Bloc stopped majority government

It has become evident that our country's progress will continue to be slowed by minority parliaments for as long as the bloc quebecois is allowed to run as a federal party. I am not necessarily a conservative but it seems to me that an overwhelming number of Canadians voted in favour of a Conservative government, indeed if it weren't for the Bloc Quebecois putting the brakes on the momentum it would surely have been a healthy Harper Majority. It is my feeling that until someone takes a serious stand and speaks out against the Bloc being allowed to run as a federal party that we are going to be hampered by minority parliaments, whether Conservative or Liberal. Moreover it seems to me that the purpose of the Bloc's existence is to do exactly that...to destroy the integrity of the Canadian parliamentary system and put the leader of the Bloc in a position to blackmail the governing party into submitting to it's demands by holding the balance of power. By splitting the vote it essentially puts Gilles Duceppe and the separatists in a position of power and if their purpose for existing is to break up the country I would have to agree that is exactly what is happening. This whole idea of a one-region federal party (from any region) is ludicrous and in my opinion the Bloc Quebecois shouldn't even be allowed to exist.

Only 20% of Canadians voted for Harper's thugs. Thank you, Quebec and Newfoundland for stopping Harper from having his way -- without opposition.

I'm all for proportional representation though...

Don't be foolish, Harper got more then 20%, it was 37%, newfoundland didn't stop Harper and neither did the Quebec or the bloc. It was Harpers own comments about artisits and gala events that stopped the CPC just short of a majority.

It has become evident that our country's progress will continue to be slowed by minority parliaments for as long as the bloc quebecois is allowed to run as a federal party. I am not necessarily a conservative but it seems to me that an overwhelming number of Canadians voted in favour of a Conservative government, indeed if it weren't for the Bloc Quebecois putting the brakes on the momentum it would surely have been a healthy Harper Majority. It is my feeling that until someone takes a serious stand and speaks out against the Bloc being allowed to run as a federal party that we are going to be hampered by minority parliaments, whether Conservative or Liberal. Moreover it seems to me that the purpose of the Bloc's existence is to do exactly that...to destroy the integrity of the Canadian parliamentary system and put the leader of the Bloc in a position to blackmail the governing party into submitting to it's demands by holding the balance of power. By splitting the vote it essentially puts Gilles Duceppe and the separatists in a position of power and if their purpose for existing is to break up the country I would have to agree that is exactly what is happening. This whole idea of a one-region federal party (from any region) is ludicrous and in my opinion the Bloc Quebecois shouldn't even be allowed to exist.

So you think democracy is best served by limiting democracy? How Orwellian....

Only 20% of Canadians voted for Harper's thugs. Thank you, Quebec and Newfoundland for stopping Harper from having his way -- without opposition.

By that leap of logic, even less voted for the Liberals or the others.....the votes of people who don't vote don't count for nothing.

Don't be foolish, Harper got more then 20%, it was 37%, newfoundland didn't stop Harper and neither did the Quebec or the bloc. It was Harpers own comments about artisits and gala events that stopped the CPC just short of a majority.

His popularity had plummetted in Quebec due to the artist cuts becoming a cause celebré and the hysterical idiocy over the YOA amendment before he ever said a word about galas.

Edited by Argus

I'm all for limiting voting rights to those too ignorant and uneducated to know anything about politics.

As Liberals with their weak leadership weren't up to the task, and NDP never stood a chance it was left up to BQ separatists to do the job, for the benefit of all of Canada. Fate works in mysterious ways, or something like that.

There is an oxymoron the BQ doing something to to benefit all of Canada, don't foll yourself it was harper's slip on arts and culture that did it, it was nothing the bloc did.

There is an oxymoron the BQ doing something to to benefit all of Canada, don't foll yourself it was harper's slip on arts and culture that did it, it was nothing the bloc did.

Without Duceppe's stellar performance in the debates, which brought the "slips" (btw forgetting to mention the "tough on kids" slip and the "economy" slip?) to the public attention in Quebec the slips would have remainded just that.

As to the good of Canada, as said, providence often works in mysterious ways.

Edited by myata

Without Duceppe's stellar performance in the debates, which brought the "slips" (btw forgetting to mention the "tough on kids" slip and the "economy" slip?) the slips would have remainded just that.

As for saying Stephen Harper being not being in government is for the good of the country it's time to take off your tinfoil hat.

Is your life worse with Harper in charge?

Without Duceppe's stellar performance in the debates, which brought the "slips" (btw forgetting to mention the "tough on kids" slip and the "economy" slip?) the slips would have remainded just that.

What campaign were you watching the slip was at the Rallies not the dedate.

As for saying Stephen Harper being not being in government is for the good of the country it's time to take off your tinfoil hat.

It pobably enriches Myata's life because this person has someone in government to blame all of their problems on. Just like the bush haters.

At this time, my life isn't immediately influenced by the guy "in charge" (and I'd like to keep it this way for as long as possible). I can quote a few (in most part, already mentioned) ways in which Harper in charge has had a negative impact on the country and/or somebody in it.

- failing to deliver on his own promises of open and transparent government;

- ignoring the Kyoto accord and failing to deliver real progress on environment;

- blowing crime scare instead of seriously addressing specific issues with crime policies (gangs, gun control);

- bland foreign policy in step with that of Bush's administration;

- games around death penalty for Canadians abroad;

- cancelling previous program on social development (child care, Kelowna accord);

- running around his own law on fixed election dates;

At this time, my life isn't immediately influenced by the guy "in charge" (and I'd like to keep it this way for as long as possible). I can quote a few (in most part, already mentioned) ways in which Harper in charge has had a negative impact on the country and/or somebody in it.

- ignoring the Kyoto accord and failing to deliver real progress on environment;

- blowing crime scare instead of seriously addressing specific issues with crime policies (gangs, gun control);

- cancelling previous program on social development (child care, Kelowna accord);

-------------------

This just in - the election is over. Time to suck it up and move on

Answer the question please, is your life worse with Harper in charge than when Paul Martin is in charge?

Believe it or not Harper has had a positive impact on the lives of many Canadians, myself included. It's one vote to a customer and the people have spoken, Harper stays.

So you think democracy is best served by limiting democracy? How Orwellian....

I said nothing about limiting democracy, I simply disagree with the idea of a one-region federal party because it doesn't take into account the needs of the country. It doesn't make sense in my mind to have a party holding the balance of power that doesn't account for the needs of the entire country. It is a FEDERAL election for a reason.