If the Liberals get in, what should the west do?

TCCK

Supposedly polls show talks to join the US rather than full seperation.

The oil revenues could make it a tax fee zone.

The problem with that, is there would be TONS of businesses moving there and job creation so I'd have to move there myself :)

Yes, that US paradise would just be amazing.... :rolleyes: It would be nice if some of you would realize how fortunate you are...or at least have a bit of patriotism.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, that US paradise would just be amazing.... :rolleyes: It would be nice if some of you would realize how fortunate you are...or at least have a bit of patriotism.

You mean how fortunate I am to wait 42 days to get an MRI scan?

Or how fortunate I am to get 52% of my money taken away to fund immigrants and civil servants who do nothing all day (except vote Liberal).

Hi Topaz

I finally got this from the Liberal Party head office on Saturday.

"There is no plan in the Liberal Party to implement the NAU. And there is no intention in Mr. Dion endorsing the North American Union. There is a commitment to ensure Canadian integrity, autonomy and Canadian interests are protected. So there's no plan to amalgamate currencies, borders, security or any economic integration. Canada will remain independent and autonomous 100 percent. So that is the position of the Liberal Party. Mr. Dion will not implement the NAU."

It would be different with a Harper majority though. He would implement the NAU within the time frame that the Council on Foreign Relations wants it, by 2010.

Mike

you know the last prime minister we had signed us on to it before harper... yah you know paul martin signed us up to the SPP, and it was brian mulroney that signed us on to NAFTA.

do some reading on the spp, the NAU is going to happen, like it or not, and the liberals or the conservatives will implement it.

for the love of canada , do some research before believing such bs.

You mean how fortunate I am to wait 42 days to get an MRI scan?

Or how fortunate I am to get 52% of my money taken away to fund immigrants and civil servants who do nothing all day (except vote Liberal).

If you don't like it here, then move. I'm sure there will be a highly trained immigrant that will be more than happy to take your place. At least they'll probably be thankful for what they have. If your the type of born and raised Canadian that you want to save the country for, then I want no part of it.

I love this country and I'm sick and tired of people who look at everything in a negative light and then turn they're eyes south of the border and see some kind of miracle country.

We live in the best country in the world, period. We should be working to make it better while realize how truly blessed we are. If you love your country there should be no debate on that.

If you don't like it here, then move. I'm sure there will be a highly trained immigrant that will be more than happy to take your place. At least they'll probably be thankful for what they have. If your the type of born and raised Canadian that you want to save the country for, then I want no part of it.

I love this country and I'm sick and tired of people who look at everything in a negative light and then turn they're eyes south of the border and see some kind of miracle country.

We live in the best country in the world, period. We should be working to make it better while realize how truly blessed we are. If you love your country there should be no debate on that.

So people can't want something better for their country?

The best country in the world definitely not.

I'd rather live in

1.Switzerland

2.Australia

3.New Zeland

All three are superior to Canada.

So people can't want something better for their country?

That is not what you were advocating. You seem to be suffering from a case of American envy. You seem to be one of the peopel that look south and sees everything as so much better than what we have. I don't see it that way and I never will. Yes, we should be working to improve health care (and every other area, because countries are supposed to move forward, and that is exactly what this one is doing), but the US is most certainly not the model to follow. Many people including immigrants work every day to improve this country. Then there are others who just sit and complain and do nothing else. I know which category I'm in, do you?

The quality of life in Switzerland is so much higher then here. The Swiss have much higher wages and take care of there own first and have tightly controlled immigration. Seems to work great for them, thus proving my original sentiment.

According to the HDI your wrong. We are not the highest ranked and I will admit that straight away, but we're close and there are so many things that we have so good here, that I have a hard time even seeing the negatives. We are some of the most blessed people that have ever lived and I love my country. As I said before, this is the best country on Earth.

According to the HDI your wrong. We are not the highest ranked and I will admit that straight away, but we're close and there are so many things that we have so good here, that I have a hard time even seeing the negatives. We are some of the most blessed people that have ever lived and I love my country. As I said before, this is the best country on Earth.

I agree with you, we do have a great many things going for us atm but those things will dwindle down further and further as more and more strain is added to our system.

It is already happening with healthcare as many things are not covered by OHIP anymore that used to be in the 70's and 80's when immigration was limited and controlled.

That is not what you were advocating. You seem to be suffering from a case of American envy. You seem to be one of the peopel that look south and sees everything as so much better than what we have. I don't see it that way and I never will. Yes, we should be working to improve health care (and every other area, because countries are supposed to move forward, and that is exactly what this one is doing), but the US is most certainly not the model to follow. Many people including immigrants work every day to improve this country. Then there are others who just sit and complain and do nothing else. I know which category I'm in, do you?

Really is that so, well I do beleive in Constitutional Monarchy not a Republic, now I think this alone is enough of a difference. Please define what an improvement is, because I am will to bet on many different subjects we will be at odds. Do you know which category I am in, please enlighten me as to what I do to enrich this country. I can tell you I do volunteer. I do my best to help my fellow citizen. So please tell me what category I fall into. While you are at it please tell me why I or anyone elese should leave this country for wanting voice an opinion on how to improve it.

I may not agree with mike davis about the contraversial parts of his post, but I do agree that their is a problem with health care delivery in this country and it is best left up to the provinces on how to solve this, and keep the federal government and their proclimations from high out of it.

I agree with you, we do have a great many things going for us atm but those things will dwindle down further and further as more and more strain is added to our system.

It is already happening with healthcare as many things are not covered by OHIP anymore that used to be in the 70's and 80's when immigration was limited and controlled.

In my province more and more things are being covered by Manitoba Health (though there have been some things traded for others). The reduction in health services that occurred in the 90s had nothing to do with immigrants, but rather the deep cuts that were made in order to balance the Federal Budget.

If the carbon tax were imposed as is, Alberta should certainly consider leaving.

Carbon is consumed equally across the country as end users, each person has a relatively equal carbon footprint. The carbon tax, however, falls mostly on Alberta because we produce the energy that others use.

A wholesale carbon tax does not work and is unfair to energy producing provinces. The Green's increase of GST is far more reasonable. Or BC's gasoline carbon tax at the pumps. Taxing producers does make sense. Alberta bears the cost and Mr. Banker in Ontario gets to drive his SUV essientially with very little cost.

It's a backdoor NEP. "Let's see how much we can take from Alberta, we don't get elected there anyway," says Mr. Dion. :)

A carbon tax is not in Alberta's interest and we'd be best served by leaving Canada if one were to be implemented.

Having a non-national party leading is unhealthy for the nation. The Liberals should not be permitted to lead if they cannot gain a seat in Alberta (the heart of our economy today).

And so the regional politics continue.

The Liberals should not be permitted to lead if they cannot gain a seat in Alberta (the heart of our economy today).

And sorry to break it to you, but Ontario is still the heart of the economy.

Edited by Smallc

1.Switzerland

2.Australia

3.New Zeland

All three are superior to Canada.

Might as well throw the moon in there. None of those three would allow you. Very very tough immigration.

Superior in what way? Have any of those three come out ahead on rankings for best place to live by the UN?

2006 Aus ranked higher, Switz and NZ behind.

And so the regional politics continue.

And sorry to break it to you, but Ontario is still the heart of the economy.

Investment? Alberta leads investment by three fold over Ontario. Economic growth and jobs are created here.

Yes, Ontario has bank head offices. Congratulations. Alberta's GDP/capita is nearly twice that of Ontario's.

The reality is that Canada is a petroleum and energy nation. Our dollar, the indicator of our financial health comparitively to the world, is directly attached to the price of oil.

I'm glad Ontario has found a role in assisting Alberta in being successful, but realise that's all it is. The energy is produced here and in BC and Sask to a lesser extent. Ontario just gives us banking to do so, and that is even to a lesser extent.

What matters now is Alberta's economy, not Ontario's. It's been dying for some time.

--

Here is the TSX 60 sorted by head office location:

CALGARY (21)

TSX: AGU Agrium Inc. Materials

TSX: CNQ Canadian Natural Resources Ltd. Energy

TSX: COS.UN Canadian Oil Sands Trust Energy

TSX: CP Canadian Pacific Railway Ltd. Industrials

TSX: ENB Enbridge Inc. Utilities

TSX: ECA EnCana Corporation Energy

TSX: ERF.UN Enerplus Resources Fund Energy

TSX: FDG.UN Fording Canadian Coal Trust Materials

TSX: HSE Husky Energy Inc. Energy

TSX: IMO Imperial Oil Ltd. Energy

TSX: NXY Nexen Inc. Energy

TSX: NCX NOVA Chemicals Corporation Materials

TSX: PWT.UN Penn West Energy Trust Energy

TSX: PCA Petro-Canada Inc. Energy

TSX: SJR.B Shaw Communications Inc. Telecommunication

TSX: SU Suncor Energy Inc. Energy

TSX: TLM Talisman Energy Inc. Energy

TSX: T Telus Corporation Telecommunication Services

TSX: TA TransAlta Corporation Utilities

TSX: TRP TransCanada Corporation Utilities

TORONTO (24)

TSX: AEM Agnico-Eagle Mines Ltd. Materials

TSX: BMO Bank of Montreal Financials

TSX: BNS Bank of Nova Scotia Financials

TSX: ABX Barrick Gold Corporation Materials

TSX: BVF Biovail Corporation Health Care

TSX: BAM.A Brookfield Asset Management Inc. Financials

TSX: CM Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce Financials

TSX: CTC.A Canadian Tire Corporation Consumer Discretionary

TSX: IMN Inmet Mining Corporation Materials

TSX: K Kinross Gold Corporation Materials

TSX: L Loblaw Companies Ltd. Consumer Staples

TSX: LUN Lundin Mining Corporation Materials

TSX: MG.A Magna International Inc. Automotive

TSX: MFC Manulife Financial Corporation Financials

TSX: MDS MDS Inc. Health Care

TSX: NA National Bank of Canada Financials

TSX: NT Nortel Networks Ltd. Information Technology

TSX: RCI.B Rogers Communications Inc. Telecommunication

TSX: RY Royal Bank of Canada Financials

TSX: SC Shoppers Drug Mart Corporation Consumer Staples

TSX: SLF Sun Life Financial Inc. Financials

TSX: TRI Thomson Reuters Consumer Discretionary

TSX: THI Tim Hortons Inc. Consumer

TSX: TD Toronto-Dominion Bank Financials

TSX: WN Weston, George Limited Consumer Staples

VANCOUVER (5)

TSX: FM First Quantum Minerals Ltd. Materials

TSX: G Goldcorp Inc. Materials

TSX: TCK.B Teck Cominco Ltd. Materials

TSX: UUU Uranium One Materials

TSX: YRI Yamana Gold Inc. Materials

MONTREAL (7)

TSX: BCE BCE Inc. Telecommunication Services

TSX: BBD.B Bombardier Inc. Industrials

TSX: CNR Canadian National Railway Company Industrials

TSX: GIL Gildan Activewear Inc. Consumer Discretionary

TSX: AER Groupe Aeroplan Inc. Consumer Discretionary

TSX: SNC SNC Lavalin Inc. Industrials

TSX: YLO.UN Yellow Pages Income Fund Information Technology

SASKATOON (2)

TSX: CCO Cameco Corporation Energy

TSX: POT Potash Corporation of Saskatchewan Inc. Materials

SOUTHERN ONTARIO (1)

TSX: RIM Research In Motion Ltd. Information Technology

--

Toronto has only 4 more head offices than Calgary in the TSX60, and Calgary's market cap far outweigh's Toronto (value of companies). So you tell me where the power is? Saskatchewan, Calgary and Vancouver have more than 50% of the market value of the entire TSX market.

Wake up. The economic power is in the west, no where else.

Dion doesn't know that, or respect it. So he cannot be a PM. If he became one, the economy should leave and go somewhere that it is respected.

Personally I believe it is time (if the Liberals get in) that BC, Alberta, and Sas pull the seperation plan out of the closet and start to think hard on it.

The only separatist movement in BC is in the name of "Republic of Cascadia" where we'd join with parts of the West Coast US.

See, even our separatists have standards! :P

Investment? Alberta leads investment by three fold over Ontario. Economic growth and jobs are created here.

Yes, Ontario has bank head offices. Congratulations. Alberta's GDP/capita is nearly twice that of Ontario's.

The reality is that Canada is a petroleum and energy nation. Our dollar, the indicator of our financial health comparitively to the world, is directly attached to the price of oil.

I'm glad Ontario has found a role in assisting Alberta in being successful, but realise that's all it is. The energy is produced here and in BC and Sask to a lesser extent. Ontario just gives us banking to do so, and that is even to a lesser extent.

What matters now is Alberta's economy, not Ontario's. It's been dying for some time.

--

Alberta is very Important, but Ontario and Quebec still have higher GDPs if not higher per capita. Ontario is 40% of Canada's economy. We need Ontario and Alberta. Without them, we might as well pack up shop and go home, there's no denying that.

I knew 99% of you would not agree with me but I got conversation going.

I know the West is not going to seperate but emotionally the West usually feels like that is the only way the rest of Canada would listen.

And NO I do not like to Troll the forums.

The Conservatives look like they have gained seats in Parliament even though it looks like a minority government again.

I have done what I could to help the people of Canada see that a Liberal vote is not what this country needs at this time.