Dion's 3 strikes interview

The way the question was worded was faulty. The question can not be answered without clarification of tenses.

Complete and utter drivel. It can't be answered if you don't have an answer. Dion had the question explained to him by an aid in FRENCH and he still couldn't figure out how to answer it.

Edited by Argus

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a poorly worded question that was compounded by the interviewer's mangled attempt to clarify it.

No doubt it was even more confusing that his aid explained it to him in French. Dion, after all, doesn't understand French.

He and his associates must have done something right..Reports on the global economic crisis say that OUR banks are still in tact...while other nations are in horrible shape. I don't think Canadians understand how well our monitary system works and how well managed it is. Apparently Harper and the conservatives and what is left of the old Progresive Conservatives that still control our banks...are expereinced and calm - Layton and Dion are fear mongering - I want a fearless leader - not some chicken little.

I understood the question just fine the first time the interviewer read it.

Am I some sort of genius?

No. I am an average Canadian.

The Liberals will be getting a new leader after this election. TLPC knows that this man is not the man of the future. I am sure the CPC hopes he stay's as laeader as he makes an easy target.

MC

The liberals over estimated their own social engineering and wrongly assumed that a man that appears asexual would be passed off as a leader to the metro-sexuals they created..Hate to break it to the liberal engineers but most men and woman still respect traditional manly males with character and principle. This Dion thing is intertwined with warm and fuzzy gay marriage thing..conservatives are kind and protective of so-called gays and lesbians. Having said that - the average human being still want the father of the country to be a real man - and Dion falls short. Like I said - The liberals have underestimated traditional natural values that even gays hold....fools!

Whether he understood the question or not, is not the real issue about this incident. That's just superficial.

We're not talking about just another interview of a starlet in Hollywood. We're talking about this man who's vying for the position of leader of Canada. A leader expected to be quick-witted to handle any kind of situation, including the poorly-worded questionaire of one rather poorly-prepared journalist. The Liberal Party no doubt felt embarassed by that incident having their leader clumsily fumbling through a scenario that he should've been prepared to expect.

Think how Canadians would've felt if this interview happened on foreign soil with him as our Prime Minister.

It is a big deal! That's why CTV decided to air it! They may be saying the ballot issue is all about economy....but it still all boils down on leadership!

Why isn't Dion prepared to face that kind of situation? He perfectly knows his weaknesses, doesn't he? After all he volunteered his alleged hearing problem where-in the English language is jumbled. It was bad enough that he was caught with his pants down....but worse, he did not know how to pull it up!

That interview plainly showed Dion is not quick to improvise or to maneuver out of a difficult or unexpected situation.

Edited by betsy

"If you were made PM today you would not have been PM 6 months ago. Therefore you could have done nothing."

That wasn't the question, you are making a strawman arguement, the question was "if you were PM today" which of course means you've been PM for the past while during the financial crisis, the answer to which completly fooled Dion because he has not been prepared for this and did not have a scripted answer, he tip toed around it (clumsily) because he (for whatever reason) couldn't come up with a good answer.

The Liberals look very bad on this one, not just because Dion was found wanting, but also because of their pitiful attack based on their claim that Harper was attacking his disability (which he did not) and then claiming it was anti French (which it wasn't).

Hypothetically:

Obama calls up Dion after he is made PM, does not speak so loudly on the phone and says something about Nuclear War and Canada in the sentence.

DION: We will blow you out of the water Obama, how dare you declare war on your good allie Canada. Then hangs up the phone and calls the strike on the White House.

Obama: Is that frenchman ever a wingnut all I asked him was " If Canada was in favour of worldwide banishment of Nuclear War and he accuses me of declaring war on Canada." "What do you mean there are incoming ICBM missles from Canada? Do they even have any?"

We all know the outcome of that scenario!

Do we really ant a Prime Minister that cannot even answer a simple question in an interviewwwww and has to have it repeated over and over?? Canada would be the butt of all International jokes with that twit at the reins.

My 2 cents, start the flaming!

Whether he understood the question or not, is not the real issue about this incident. That's just superficial.

We're not talking about just another interview of a starlet in Hollywood. We're talking about this man who's vying for the position of leader of Canada. A leader expected to be quick-witted to handle any kind of situation, including the poorly-worded questionaire of one rather poorly-prepared journalist. The Liberal Party no doubt felt embarassed by that incident having their leader clumsily fumbling through a scenario that he should've been prepared to expect.

Think how Canadians would've felt if this interview happened on foreign soil with him as our Prime Minister.

Why isn't Dion prepared to face that kind of situation? He perfectly knows his weaknesses, doesn't he? After all he volunteered his alleged hearing problem where-in the English language is jumbled. It was bad enough that he was caught with his pants down....but worse, he did not know how to pull it up!

That interview plainly showed Dion is not quick to improvise or to maneuver out of a difficult or unexpected situation.

Betsy you firmly believe that the public is disgusted with Dion fumbling. By now you should have you party hat on.

If you are right then Harper is sure to get a huge Majority or you are supporting a leader that had everything going for him and still failed to get a majority. Get a picture of Dion and stomp on in. There is no way anyone is going too change your mind. Remember Dion is the guy who is a poor leader because his wife buys his underwear.

I do not cared if he fumbled or not. I have seen great quarterbacks fumble and end up winning the super bowl.

Everyone in Canada knows what the question meant, your turning the question into a riddle. Dion got roasted and will pay the price in the polls. Deal with it.

I have heard many people on media programs talk about how poor the question was. I just heard it today on Politics, With Don Newman.

Smallc, it makes no difference how talking heads and politicos spin this. In the eyes of the average Canadian, Dion looked like an ineffective candidate for this country's top job. Lucky for us to have seen Dion in his natural state. An intelligent, pointy headed academic who lacks political skills and leadership appeal.

My poor little man.....

If you were made PM today you would not have been PM 6 months ago. Therefore you could have done nothing.

Sorry, sad-sack, that was not the question. The question was "If you were prime minister now, what would you have already done in this crisis that Mr. Harper hasn't done?"

Seems pretty damned clear to me. So what country did you immigrate from and what's your first language?

If the frenchies can attack harper or anyone else for poor french, why can't we do the same?

This guy isn't fit to lead the country.

VOTE NO on more taxes!

http://www.taxpayer.com/main/news.php?news_id=2960

If you want to cut taxes you have too cut expenditures. Harper has increased spending in each year in office. He has made further promises. The biggest one the get tough on crime he did not even price.

Sorry, sad-sack, that was not the question. The question was "If you were prime minister now, what would you have already done in this crisis that Mr. Harper hasn't done?"

Seems pretty damned clear to me. So what country did you immigrate from and what's your first language?

So if you were pm now, what would you have already done?

Even with the exact wording you still would need to know when were you made PM.

I would bet a months pay my family has been in this country longer than yours.

http://www.taxpayer.com/main/news.php?news_id=2960

If you want to cut taxes you have too cut expenditures. Harper has increased spending in each year in office. He has made further promises. The biggest one the get tough on crime he did not even price.

I agree he is far more socially progressive than I would have thought. He spends a lot of money on social programs. Thanks for pointing that out.

CTV News broadcast a defence Thursday of its decision to air the stuttering start of an interview it did last week with Liberal Leader Stephane Dion.

Three executives at CTV News told Thursday's 6 p.m. newscast in the Maritimes that it had a responsibility to show the public the pre-recorded interview with Dion on Oct. 9, five days before election day.

"We decided that it was important that CTV News not hide anything during an election campaign," said Robert Hurst, president of CTV News.

http://canadianpress.google.com/article/AL...pS-Sak7FyQGfBcg

I wonder why these execs felt the need to go on air about this. Could it be they got word that Dion and/or the Liberals intend to sue the network over the decision to show the whole interview?

• 2 weeks later...
It isn't. It is to be an officer in the military or to join CSIS though.

lol sorry to revive this thread but.. completely off topic

it isn't a requirement to join the CSIS

17. Do I need to be bilingual?

You are not required to be bilingual in order to be considered for employment as an Intelligence Officer. However, if you are not bilingual, an assessment of your capacity to learn the second official language will be required, and training will be provided to eligible candidates.

http://www.csis-scrs.gc.ca/crrs/fq-eng.asp#q17

lol sorry to revive this thread but.. completely off topic

it isn't a requirement to join the CSIS

17. Do I need to be bilingual?

You are not required to be bilingual in order to be considered for employment as an Intelligence Officer. However, if you are not bilingual, an assessment of your capacity to learn the second official language will be required, and training will be provided to eligible candidates.

http://www.csis-scrs.gc.ca/crrs/fq-eng.asp#q17

And if you aren't eligible, doesn't that mean you can't work there?

And if you aren't eligible, doesn't that mean you can't work there?

Well I guess knowing french is required in a way.. But you don't need to know french to apply or be considered. If you don't know french, they will teach you if it need be. By the way, that is just for becoming an intelligence officer, my friend's aunt is in some bureaucratic part of the CSIS (human resources I think?) and she doesn't know french.. I don't think you have to be very good at french anyway

Well I guess knowing french is required in a way.. But you don't need to know french to apply or be considered. If you don't know french, they will teach you if it need be. By the way, that is just for becoming an intelligence officer, my friend's aunt is in some bureaucratic part of the CSIS (human resources I think?) and she doesn't know french.. I don't think you have to be very good at french anyway

I think your right.

I'm betting she's been there a long while then. To my knowledge all HR people hired over the last dozen years are bilingual.

BTW, while you don't "need" to be bilingual to apply for some jobs you will usually only be hired if all the bilingual people who apply and pass the test are hired and there's no one else left.