Dion's 3 strikes interview

Most people who speak multiple languages still just think in one language.

Understood. But are they qualified to be Prime Minister of a country whose predominant language is something else?

This isn't an on-the-job-training sort of position. A PM needs to be able to think on his feet, instill confidence, communicate. Dion can't do any of this, whatever the reason.

He would be an embarrassment on the world stage, and you know it.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone who doesn't see a problem with taking advantage of a person's diability whether directly or indirectly for their own personal gain is in my books a little lower on the food chain then the rest of us.

Shameful to all who approve

PS - as we all age our hearing will be affected and it will impact all of us .... keep that in mind

I hope opponents of my view are just stating their case for banter and not based on personal views

They are only following harpers leadership.

Well, I"m watching Dion now on the CBC going over the incident and he's even more confused sounding now than he was then, despite the interviewer giving him every possible chance. He clearly has no ideas at all. He still has not been able to say what he would have done differently, and his only plan for the future remains "I'll call some meetings and ask some people what I should be doing". Anyone who calls that a plan is an idiot. As Coyne pointed out, all these people are readily available now, were readily available last month and last year. Why are you waiting?

Clearly a good leader does not go forward with a plan till his team is place. Unlike Harper who is trying to be a one man show. Dion is a leader of a team.

I didn't see the big deal with Dion asking for more clarification before answering the question. However, I think it's pretty slimy of CTV air parts of an interview where Dion thought was off-record.

Honestly, how much clarification do you need on "What would you do if you were PM now"?

This is almost as bad as Clinton's, "it depends on what the definition of 'is' is".

I'm suggesting that Dion is a buffoon when it comes to the economy and that he can barely put together coherent sentences on this subject. In other words, sans teleprompter, well, we've seen what can happen...

Seems to me he had a press conference without notes and did fine this morning.

From CBC this morning (CBC: Dion ):

Just as has been pointed out, about about recorded interviews:

He said taped interviews usually have false starts and wasn't sure why CTV Atlantic chose to air the footage five days before Tuesday's election.

And about Liberals plan, from CBC reporter:

Well that's interesting because we hear about [Dion's plan] every single day," said the CBC's Julie Van Dusen, who is covering the election.

"It's … about meeting the premiers, it's about creating infrastructure jobs to kickstart a slowdown in the economy. It's about his $1 billion fund that he has for the manufacturing sector in case they want to tap into it."

So who's miscompreheding and disrespecting Canadian public with diversions, ploys and misrepresentations, while failing to disclose their own intentions till the last days of the campaign?

Really? So you think Harper and the web designer had a meeting on this one? Please.

In any event, I thought we were talking about Dion's inability to answer a very simple question 4 times and the response thereto.

Guess I was wrong.

This is not something that would happen to Harper because he has refused to say anything that he has not rehearsed several times. He would not have okayed an interview where he did not have advance knowledge of the questions so that he could be fully prepared. Let Harper go through the same type of interview with the same changing of the rules he would probalbly have not done any better. Harper comes no where close too the likes of Duceppe. Maybe after this election both Harper and Dion will both be replaced by real leaders. As it is I would rather have a nice guy like Dion in charge than Harper. At least with Dion we know he has a good team available too him.

Seems to me that he is speaking on economics quite well in a live news conference right now.

No he isn't.

He continued to babble the same incoherent, "We have a plan. We will talk to some people to get a plan, that we have, and we will get that plan in 30 days, but we have a plan. But you'll have to wait. It is a plan."

He then followed that up with more "Canada has the worst economy in the G7" bullshit when he knows damn well that we have the BEST economy in the G7.

He does not understand even the basics of economics. I wouldn't trust him to balance a cheque book, never mind the economy of the country.

This is not something that would happen to Harper because he has refused to say anything that he has not rehearsed several times. He would not have okayed an interview where he did not have advance knowledge of the questions so that he could be fully prepared. Let Harper go through the same type of interview with the same changing of the rules he would probalbly have not done any better. Harper comes no where close too the likes of Duceppe. Maybe after this election both Harper and Dion will both be replaced by real leaders. As it is I would rather have a nice guy like Dion in charge than Harper. At least with Dion we know he has a good team available too him.

I guess we differ, then. I prefer a leader who's competent to a "nice guy", not that I agree that Harper isn't "nice".

Look what electing a "nice guy" got the US for 8 years.

Edited by Jobu

You forget we are in an election that will determine the next PM. Your guy screws up and he's supposed to get a pass? Harper has been clear in his replies to the media when the screw up was raised and he has handled those questions very well. No mention of a disability. Only remarking that it is not a language difficulty. Harper says the obvious which is that Dion has no plan and, this came through loud and clear in the interview.

Just like Harper who also has no plan.

It was a question not unlike many Dion has been asked in the past and he has answered the question in the past.

Well if you consider stating that he has no idea and will ask some other people what he should do as an answer then I guess you're right.

He should have let Kyoto handle the interview, he would have looked much better if he had.

He has told you that. He said he will sit down with experts and come up with a plan. Unlike Harper who says he has no plan and is not planning on getting one.

Newsflash, the plan is already in action.

- #1 economy in the G7

- #1 banking system in the world

- Surpluses ahead of projections

- 30-year low unemployment

- Wage growth significantly outpacing inflation

- September job gains the most since StatsCan starting calculating these stats in over 30 years

- Flaherty at G7 meetings as we speak

What more do you want in this environment?

Edited by Jobu

Newsflash, the plan is already in action.

- #1 economy in the G7

- #1 banking system in the world

- Surpluses ahead of projections

- 30-year low unemployment

- Wage growth significantly outpacing inflation

- September job gains the most since StatsCan starting calculating these stats in over 30 years

- Flaherty at G7 meetings as we speak

What more do you want in this environment?

Excuse me I thought all the economic experts that say were are headed for job loses and economic turmoil knew what they were talking about. You are looking at past stands largely a result of Paul Martins Budgets. Not projected stats largely as a result of American economic spill over into Canada. If anything you are giving people a good reason too vote Liberals. All your examples are result of long term financial management.