Dion's 3 strikes interview

The same could be said for Harper. The French media though said they treated him respectfully in his first national interviews and debates. You disagree? I don't remember the outakes.

Although, I can't vouch for it personally, August says that Harper's French is very adequate, and Harper has been on the national scene for half the time Dion has.

Harper needed some do-overs in French in 2002 when he was first arriving on the scene as a national leader? Well, he wasn't deemed Prime Minister material in 2002. He's also a quick study apparently.

Dion needs do-overs in English 12 years after entering federal politics. He's apparently not a quick study. Whether he's Prime Minister material remains to be seen, but you know my opinion.

Palin was not caught in a gotcha moment though.

I guess it depends what you consider a "gotcha" moment.

I don't consider "what would you have done differently to protect the economy if you were prime minister" to be a "gotcha" question. I consider it to be the fundamental question required of Dion if he is going to campaign on the theme that he Harper has not done enough for the economy and he would do better. That's not a "gotcha", that's the fundamental question raised by Dion's own premise.

For Dion to not be prepared to answer that question in every interview is more unforgivable than Palin not knowing the definition of "The Bush Doctrine".

-k

Edited by kimmy

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So he expected this interview to be private?

He's telling us one thing, but we're supposed to believe your explanation?

In a recorded event, an interviewee is expecting to be able to control which part of it will be released to the public. Otherwise we would see all those innumerable episodes of screw ups in media recordings, reality shows, interviews and such.

BTW, I already commented on that unknown "obtusiveness" disease (is it deliberate or not is still a mystery to the science), but the fact that it hits mostly socially conservative right wing audience certainly gives us some hope.

You suppose so? I think you know so.

The French media said that in Harper's first national debates and interviews they treated him respectfully. No outtakes.

The French media have pointed out that they did exactly that for Harper in the news conference this morning.

This has little to do with language. His problem was not that he did not understand the question for he clearly did from his second attempted answer. Where he started to say he would have had an agenda - but an agenda to do what? Who knows! The problem is that he has no real answer. The interviewer on the CBC this morning could not have been more patient and helpful but Dion STILL could not answer the question. He could not say what he would have done differently, and he can not say what he would do now or in the future other than hold meetings and ask people to tell him what he should do.

Oddly, some people consider that relevant.

Edited by Argus

I realize that Tory supporters have not seen any evidence of the Harper's attack trait. It is noted, however, by many others and probably why they keep falling short of majority support.

It's not noted by others, it's a complete fabrication by Liberals. They're banking on the fact that people don't know anything about politics, and they believe what they're told. It's the same story with the claimed arts cuts (when there were increases), the job losses (when there were increases), that Canada has the worst economy in the G7 (when it has the best), etc, etc.

The Liberals have been flat out lying most of the time during this entire election, and Harper's biggest fault is that he's been too NICE, and hasn't lashed out at the Liberals for it.

Stanfield's campaign was already in trouble just as Dion's has been from the start. The picture was just low blow for a fundamentally decent man. It made politician even more secretive and guarded. No one wanted to be seen eating a hotdog or anything of the sort because that is exactly the picture the media was looking for.
You may have explained why this Dion video has received such attention.

The Stanfield photo captured what many suspected of Stanfield: he was a dorky, boring old guy compared to Trudeau. Similarly, everyone suspects that Dion is a clueless pointy-headed sociology professor and the video shows him exactly that way.

A video of Harper mumbling incoherently would not have the same effect as a video of Harper berating cruelly some underling. Whatever the picture or video, it has to confirm what people already suspect of the leader.

In a recorded event, an interviewee is expecting to be able to control which part of it will be released to the public. Otherwise we would see all those innumerable episodes of screw ups in media recordings, reality shows, interviews and such.

BTW, I already commented on that unknown "obtusiveness" disease (is it deliberate or not is still a mystery to the science), but the fact that it hits mostly socially conservative right wing audience certainly gives us some hope.

Actually, I'm not even close to socially conservative yet I can tell a bumbling fumbler when I see one.

Although, I can't vouch for it personally, August says that Harper's French is very adequate, and Harper has been on the national scene for half the time Dion has.

Harper needed some do-overs in French in 2002 when he was first arriving on the scene as a national leader? Well, he wasn't deemed Prime Minister material in 2002. He's also a quick study apparently.

He was treated respectfully. There were no outcuts from interviews that I recall. Do you recall any?

The commentary at the time was that it was good to see more political parties conducting themselves in both languages despite the unevenness of it.

Dion needs do-overs in English 12 years after entering federal politics. He's apparently not a quick study. Whether he's Prime Minister material remains to be seen, but you know my opinion.

Harper was in and out of federal politics a while before the first debates and interviews with the French media as leader

I guess it depends what you consider a "gotcha" moment.

Outakes and pictures of candidates in unflattering poses are true gotcha moments.

Asking a question about the Bush Doctrine is not a gotcha moment. It is a question that some people wanted to hear an answer for.

I don't consider "what would you have done differently to protect the economy if you were prime minister" to be a "gotcha" question. I consider it to be the fundamental question required of Dion if he is going to campaign on the theme that he Harper has not done enough for the economy and he would do better. That's not a "gotcha", that's the fundamental question raised by Dion's own premise.

The outakes was the gotcha moment.

For Dion to not be prepared to answer that question in every interview is more unforgivable than Palin not knowing the definition of "The Bush Doctrine".

Palin wasn't featured in outtakes.

Are you kidding? Have you ever done media interviews? They print/broadcast whatever bits they like, including the parts that they insist weren't even on tape to begin with.

Asking a question about the Bush Doctrine is not a gotcha moment. It is a question that some people wanted to hear an answer for.

The outakes was the gotcha moment.

Palin wasn't featured in outtakes.

It has nothing to do with outtakes. He can't answer the question. Period. He was given another opportunity this morning and still couldn't answer it. Can you?

This is a guy who has no clue about economics. He has no plans and no ideas. We're in a storm on the high seas to use Dion's analogy. Harper knows how the boat was built, how it runs and how to navigate. Dion doesn't. Now that's not a terrible thing. Not everyone can be a financial expert. But Dion is like the guy who bought the boat and put on a jaunty captain's cap then went out to sea. Now that the water is getting rough suddenly he says "I should ask people who know about boats what I should do". Gee Stephan, that would have been a better idea back before you set to sea, ya know. It's just a little late at this point, Captain!

This storm has been coming a long time. Harper has been talking about it for quite some time. And only now is Dion saying that he maybe should consider having a plan or something, once he talks to people in a month or so. Reeaalll impressive.

Actually, I'm not even close to socially conservative...

Apologies, but you could still have caught it from somebody in your close environment (physical or spiritual).

Here's what I mean, in an easy example:

Imagine e.g. a video of a rugged unshaven individual in less than perfectly ironed / washed, forgive me, underwear. Does it tell you volumes about who the individual is? Is it e.g. a street person? Or somebody woken up in the middle of the night after a day of hard work or exercise?

Information is very little without full context. Missing important context may come very near a lie. An important part of the context of this event has been that Mr Dion considered it as a controlled event, maybe with an intent to deliver the best possible interpretation of his position to the audience. When it did not work first time, he asked to try it again, and again. I think there's a lot more one has to know about this story before they could make an informed judgement about what it actually means.

Apologies, but you could still have caught it from somebody in your close environment (physical or spiritual).

Here's what I mean, in an easy example:

Imagine e.g. a video of a rugged unshaven individual in less than perfectly ironed / washed, forgive me, underwear. Does it tell you volumes about who the individual is? Is it e.g. a street person? Or somebody woken up in the middle of the night after a day of hard work or exercise?

Information is very little without full context. Missing important context may come very near a lie. An important part of the context of this event has been that Mr Dion considered it as a controlled event, maybe with an intent to deliver the best possible interpretation of his position to the audience. When it did not work first time, he asked to try it again, and again. I think there's a lot more one has to know about this story before they could make an informed judgement about what it actually means.

The problem here is that it was a very simple question hitting at the crux of the ballot issue, and he didn't have an answer. The fact that he was confused or spoke in poor English is secondary if not irrelevant.

You may have explained why this Dion video has received such attention.

The Stanfield photo captured what many suspected of Stanfield: he was a dorky, boring old guy compared to Trudeau. Similarly, everyone suspects that Dion is a clueless pointy-headed sociology professor and the video shows him exactly that way.

Stanfield was anything but Dorky. Up to the time of the fumble, he was impressing with the level of his athleticism. He made effortless catches time after time (as has been written by the Press Corps ). He dropped the ball just once.

Stanfield was one of Harvard's brightest lights. His speaking style was relaxed and some described it as laconic.

His campaign in 1968 was defeated by Trudeaumania and in 1972 came within a whisper of defeating the Liberals. His fundamental decency in promoting bilingualism even when unpopular as well as principled economic ideas earned everyone's respect.

The Stanfield picture told nothing about the man who I think would have been a great prime minister.

A video of Harper mumbling incoherently would not have the same effect as a video of Harper berating cruelly some underling. Whatever the picture or video, it has to confirm what people already suspect of the leader.

An outtake of Harper doing that in 2002 would have been just as low in my view.

Edited by jdobbin

It has nothing to do with outtakes. He can't answer the question. Period. He was given another opportunity this morning and still couldn't answer it. Can you?

Seems to me that he is speaking on economics quite well in a live news conference right now.

I can speak quite well on economics. Can you?

Perhaps thats what you saw.

I saw Dion looking like an idiot. Honestly, I really don't think this will help Dion at all, as for Harper, well he didn't say anything about Dions hearing so I can't see why he could be accused of mocking Dion. He just pointed out that it looked like Dion didn't have a clue. It was a pretty straight forward question after all, not unliike many Dion has been asked in the past, and usually failed to answer sufficiently.

It was a question not unlike many Dion has been asked in the past and he has answered the question in the past.

I think it was a really really unbelievably simple question to understand. It was asked more than 3 times in the CLEAREST possible language.

His english isn't good, but it is plenty good enough to debate in English. He heard the question. He began answering it. He bumbled with some stupid 30-50 plan crap and then realized he sounded like a tard so he asked to restart. Then, even AFTER his aide explained the question, he still couldn't answer. It's not like there was any complicated english.

From my perspective, you can take this two ways. Either Dion really has no idea what he's going to do with the economy and got called out on it, or he's a total moron who can't understand a question phrased in the simplest of language.

If Dion wasn't just avoiding a question he had no answer for then for some strange reason the simple concept of imagining what he would have done in Stephen Harper's place was completely beyond him.

Neither fit he has answered the question in the past.