Dion's 3 strikes interview

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is absolutley pure cowardice to hide behind a disabilty, if it indeed exists,

It doesn't exist in a one on one situation. He has trouble picking out voices out of a crowd. Having trouble comprehending a question is one thing. Trying to spin this as a shameful attack on the disabled is what is deplorable. Reminds me of the able-bodied guy in Calgary who sat in a wheelchair in order to get people's sympathy and their money. Dion's doing it for their vote.

I say Harper screwed up to attack and now the Quebec media is asking why he is attacking when Harper himself had issues with the French language when he first started out. The news conference is on now if you'd like to watch it.

You of all people should know that the French media and Duceppe will use any excuse or incident to accuse Anglos of insulting Quebecers and francophones. This reaction was totally predictable and it would have occurred regardless if Harper or another Anglo was involved.

I realize you think the campaign has been a gentleman's affair but many don't think so.

Once again a parroting of what Harper's explanation is.

The French media asked why Harper attacked when they said he had troubles understanding questions when he was starting out in French in the province.

That is how the question is being framed by them.

I think this will be my fourth time asking, so if you're anything like Dion perhaps this is the time I can expect an answer.

Which attack by Harper? You mean where he criticized Dion's plan to have a plan in 30, 50, 80 or however many days?

I think this will be my fourth time asking, so if you're anything like Dion perhaps this is the time I can expect an answer.

If you're anything like Harper, I expect an attack.

Which attack by Harper? You mean where he criticized Dion's plan to have a plan in 30, 50, 80 or however many days?

The low gutter attack where Harper going for the jugular when other leaders have the good sense not do it. It just makes him look like the mean spirited leader that most perceive him to be.

Sorry but the disabilty angle is a lie, he had no trouble distinguishing questions and comments in the debate, where the air was filled with voices and interuptions just like a cocktail party which was the example Dion himself used as when he had trouble hearing. The interview was done in near silence, the question was posed numerous times in simple english in a clear voice. Watchning the tape, clearly he heard the question, clearly he was squirming because he did not have a scripted answer. Shame on you.

You of all people should know that the French media and Duceppe will use any excuse or incident to accuse Anglos of insulting Quebecers and francophones. This reaction was totally predictable and it would have occurred regardless if Harper or another Anglo was involved.

Do I? Seems to me French media has often been rather respectful of leaders who were from an Anglophone backgrounds trying to interviews and debates.

Harper was perfectly right to draw attention to this video.

Kudos to CTV for having the cajones to release the full interview. It is indeed in the public interest to show a prospective PM in his natural state. What we saw is what we would get if Dion is elected. A bumbler, a man with no plan at a critical time and an embarrassment on the international stage.

The low gutter attack where Harper going for the jugular when other leaders have the good sense not do it. It just makes him look like the mean spirited leader that most perceive him to be.

So you think Harper pointing out that Dion doesn't have two clues to rub together is going for the Jugular? I'd say its merely stating the obvious.

Sucks when you blindly follow something or someone then irrefutably find out it has less substance than a fart in the wind doesn't it.

So you think Harper pointing out that Dion doesn't have two clues to rub together is going for the Jugular? I'd say its merely stating the obvious.

Sucks when you blindly follow something or someone then irrefutably find out it has less substance than a fart in the wind doesn't it.

Sucks when gotcha politics emphasizes things that are more attack than anything else. The media releasing the edits and falsestarts reminds me of the picture of Stanfield fumbling the ball. Most don't know that Stanfield had been playing for quite a while and catching the ball each time as he was fairly athletic. The media ran with the picture of the the fumble.

The picture didn't mean anything. It was a rather low moment for the media at that time trying to shape a story. The only thing is that the Liberals didn't use it as news conference to say the fumble was emblematic of the man.

No. It makes him look like a politician on the campaign trail. What's good for the goose is good for the sauce. Dion and the Liberals are receiving their comeuppance and it's about time.

It makes Harper look mean spirited and insubstantial. Just as what he used to criticize the Liberals for. But as you say, what goes around, huh? I thought Harper said he would do better.

Sucks when gotcha politics emphasizes things that are more attack than anything else. The media releasing the edits and falsestarts reminds me of the picture of Stanfield fumbling the ball. Most don't know that Stanfield had been playing for quite a while and catching the ball each time as he was fairly athletic. The media ran with the picture of the the fumble.

The picture didn't mean anything. It was a rather low moment for the media at that time trying to shape a story. The only thing is that the Liberals didn't use it as news conference to say the fumble was emblematic of the man.

Naw, they just ran their whole campaign vilifying Stanfield for his economic plan, only to go ahead and implement it once in power.

And the Tories would have attacked as a cyncial gutter politics with no substance from a party desperate to win with a leader desperate to take things personally. Or do you disagree?
Would the Tories object if the Liberals attacked Harper in a similar manner? I suppose so.
The French media today is saying they treated Harper with kidgloves when he was starting out. Just watched what they said on the scrum that was live on the networks minutes ago.
Dion is not just starting out.

Dion has been in Ottawa for about 10 years and he was a federal cabinet minister. Anyway, the problem is not language comprehension.

I think that Dion was just exhausted. The interview occurred at the end of a long day and a campaign is a brutal experience. Exhausted, Dion became his pointy-headed self.

He can't admit to exhaustion now because political leaders are never tired or emotional.

-----

As to more substantial points, Harper rightly noted that Dion has no plan to deal with this financial crisis. Harper was also right to point out something many people don't know: the media and politicians frequently do each other favours. The media often lets some politicians have a second or third chance.

I say Harper screwed up to attack and now the Quebec media is asking why he is attacking when Harper himself had issues with the French language when he first started out. The news conference is on now if you'd like to watch it.

Dion has been in federal politics since 1996. He is not "just starting out".

Preston Manning was constantly criticized for being unable to speak adequate french. Gerald Kennedy's poor french was apparently a major strike against him in seeking the Liberal leadership. Apparently that was legitimate criticism of those men... but to criticize Dion's miserable English on the other hand, that's politically incorrect, that's anti-French, anti-Quebec. That makes me irate.

Hey, Dobbins, either he's not functionally fluent in the primary language of this country, or this was a "Governor Palin" type moment where he couldn't answer a question that's fundamental to his claim that he'd be a better choice to manage the economy. Either explanation is not very flattering.

I also don't accept that CTV was doing something unethical by airing this clip, whether they told Dion's handlers they'd cut it or not. Canadians deserved to see this.

-k

Would the Tories object if the Liberals attacked Harper in a similar manner? I suppose so.

You suppose so? I think you know so.

Dion is not just starting out.

Dion has been in Ottawa for about 10 years and he was a federal cabinet minister. Anyway, the problem is not language comprehension.

I think that Dion was just exhausted. The interview occurred at the end of a long day and a campaign is a brutal experience. Exhausted, Dion became his pointy-headed self.

He can't admit to exhaustion now because political leaders are never tired or emotional.

The French media said that in Harper's first national debates and interviews they treated him respectfully. No outtakes.

As to more substantial points, Harper rightly noted that Dion has no plan to deal with this financial crisis. Harper was also right to point out something many people don't know: the media and politicians frequently do each other favours. The media often lets some politicians have a second or third chance.

The French media have pointed out that they did exactly that for Harper in the news conference this morning.

Dion has been in federal politics since 1996. He is not "just starting out".

The same could be said for Harper. The French media though said they treated him respectfully in his first national interviews and debates. You disagree? I don't remember the outakes.

Preston Manning was constantly criticized for being unable to speak adequate french. Gerald Kennedy's poor french was apparently a major strike against him in seeking the Liberal leadership. Apparently that was legitimate criticism of those men... but to criticize Dion's miserable English on the other hand, that's politically incorrect, that's anti-French, anti-Quebec. That makes me irate.

I've said Dion's language has been an issue. I said the same things about Kennedy.

I don't remember the French media using outtakes of some of the poor French used in interviews and debates.

Hey, Dobbins, either he's not functionally fluent in the primary language of this country, or this was a "Governor Palin" type moment where he couldn't answer a question that's fundamental to his claim that he'd be a better choice to manage the economy. Either explanation is not very flattering.

Palin was not caught in a gotcha moment though.

I also don't accept that CTV was doing something unethical by airing this clip, whether they told Dion's handlers they'd cut it or not. Canadians deserved to see this.

I don't subscribe ethics to the media. The use of the Stanfield picture showed they didn't have any.

Of course the Liberals benefitted from that photo.

Curiously, this video of Dion reminded me of that Stanfield photo too.

This Dion video may be too late in the campaign to have an effect.

Of course the Liberals benefitted from that photo.

Curiously, this video of Dion reminded me of that Stanfield photo too.

This Dion video may be too late in the campaign to have an effect.

Stanfield's campaign was already in trouble just as Dion's has been from the start. The picture was just low blow for a fundamentally decent man. It made politician even more secretive and guarded. No one wanted to be seen eating a hotdog or anything of the sort because that is exactly the picture the media was looking for.

Now, all the leaders have their cheer squad behind them in the campaign even when the media asks for them to stop the jeering and cheering after a reporter's question and a politician's answer.

No unscripted moments when everyone is looking for the next gotcha moment. No chance of substance.

Harper didn't even have to use the video to question Dion's response to the world situation. He decided to play gothca politics even though it doesn't do anything to enhance his already tattered image.

kimmy,

Let's not be naive here. The media wants Harper to win, and they want Harper to get a majority. Individual journalists may adhere to a certain standard of professionalism, and have the obligation to document the Conservative's innumerable gaffes and to conduct themselves as impartially as possible, but the people at the top are always looking for ways to subtly to influence the way the public thinks. This little incident is a non issue, but with the Cons repeatedly shooting themselves in the foot, they are going to seize upon this and try to make something out of it.