Will you vote strategically?

Strategic Vote  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Sorry for the French, if that upsets you.

Le chef du Bloc québécois, Gilles Duceppe, appelle au vote stratégique et demande aux sympathisants verts, néo-démocrates ou libéraux de se ranger derrière lui pour bloquer Stephen Harper. Si le Bloc empêche les conservateurs d'avoir une majorité de sièges, ça rendra service non seulement aux Québécois, mais à tous les Canadiens, estime-t-il.

«Nous sommes prêts à appuyer toute proposition de n'importe quel parti qui va dans le sens des intérêts et des valeurs du Québec, a affirmé M. Duceppe hier, au moment de lancer sa deuxième semaine de campagne, à Montréal. Au Bloc, il y a de la place pour tous les Québécois qui souhaitent empêcher les conservateurs d'obtenir une majorité.»

La Presse

In the quote, Duceppe is asking Quebecers to vote for the BQ even if they disagree with the BQ (and Quebec sovereignty) in order to consolidate votes and stop Stephen Harper from winning a majority. I suspect that Dion will soon make a similar appeal in English Canada.

How many voters are susceptible to such appeals?

Edited by August1991

The Bloc Quebecois is just an offshoot of the Conservative Party anyway. In terms of decentralizing the federal government, yet uniting Canada, the Conservative Party offers Quebeckers with the best option. They can have their provincial autonomy and remain a part of Canada as well. Without seperatism, I really don't know what sets The Bloc apart.

Quebec is astute to jump on the Conservative wagon! They will benefit greatly from such an endeavour. Yet the rest of the nation will pay for the political support that Harper is gathering. Quebec will support any party that can form a government because that way they can get what they want with the threat of withdrawn support. They have used this tactic since entering confederation and will continue to do so because it benefits them.

I live in a riding that splits the left and hands the CPC (or PC's) a win every election, this year I may see how things are forming and vote strategicaly.

Although, I have a friend who's been trying to convince me to vote CPC for ages, If I could find one thing that my local MP did for the region, I may consider it.

How many voters are susceptible to such appeals?
• A Nanos Research daily tracking poll gave the Conservatives 38%, with the Liberals at 31% and the New Democrats 14%.

The latest poll showed that more than half of Canadians - 54% - reject the idea of a Conservative majority government, while 35% support it. Also, 38% of Canadians reported they would be prepared to vote strategically, by switching their vote to another party, to prevent the prospect.

Source

I'm pretty much in the ABC camp myself. I'll be tracking the poll results for my region and tune in to results from Eastern Canada up until about 15 minutes before the polls close at which point I'll hold my nose and hope for the best.

I may loath the Liberals and NDP but I fear the Conservatives. I think a Conservative majority will be a disaster for Canada, especially in the event of a Republican win in the US which seems increasingly likely.

I'd sacrifice my right testicle for proportional representation right about now. I've never felt more poorly served by our political process.

In my riding, the guy running for the second time is very likable he's a Con BUT the area doesn't like Harper. So people have to decide if they like the candidate more or dislike Harper more. I think it'll be a minority govt with any one of the parties forming. I do have a $20 bet on the minority govt.

I'm not voting strategically, as the candidate I like most in my rising is the front runner anyway.

I have done it in the past though. In one recent mayoral race, the guy I liked best was running fourth, and the guy I liked least was in first, so I voted for the second place guy that I didn't have much of an opinion on either way. I'd say it worked, because he won.

I call into question the loyalty of those who would vote for a candidate other than that of their party of choice. Strategic voting deprives their party of funds that they would otherwise receive by virtue of their vote. Multiply the number of voters who opt to vote strategically by the per-vote federal financial allocation and the sum can be significant.

For example, if you vote NDP to counter the Conservative vote although you are a Liberal supporter, the NDP reaps a financial benefit.

Strategic voting is self defeating and is a long shot.

I call into question the loyalty of those who would vote for a candidate other than that of their party of choice. Strategic voting deprives their party of funds that they would otherwise receive by virtue of their vote. Multiply the number of voters who opt to vote strategically by the per-vote federal financial allocation and the sum can be significant.

For example, if you vote NDP to counter the Conservative vote although you are a Liberal supporter, the NDP reaps a financial benefit.

Look at my example and tell me it doesn't make sense:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canadavotes/riding/168/06results.html

So Shakey, if I understand what you are saying, if a significant number of the 2nd and 3rd place parties voted as one for the same party, that would serve to defeat the Conservative candidate?

Exactly, while one would have to plug their nose it certainly makes sense if you are a left of center supporter... Loyalty be damned.

Exactly, while one would have to plug their nose it certainly makes sense if you are a left of center supporter... Loyalty be damned.

How would such a plan be orchestrated? Wouldn't you need some type of central organizer/coordinator? How would you resolve disputes if one party wants to gobble up the other's votes and the one being gobbled up wants to be the gobbler. You know what I mean. The logistics to pull it off seem burdensome.

How would such a plan be orchestrated? Wouldn't you need some type of central organizer/coordinator? How would you resolve disputes if one party wants to gobble up the other's votes and the one being gobbled up wants to be the gobbler. You know what I mean. The logistics to pull it off seem burdensome.

Sure would be, I suppose the best option would be talking to neighbours etc.

Yeah forget loyalty if its going to help the social conservatives get a majority. I would and will vote for whichever party has the best chance to defeat the conservative in my area. If you feel bad about your party of choice losing the couple of bucks from your vote join the facebook group "anti Harper vote swap" and you can have someone vote for your party in an area where they are in second place, then in turn you vote for their party if you are in a riding where their party is in second place. This way we can defeat Harper, and still ensure that our own party of choice is not deprived of funds. Unite the left against Harper!!!

Oh also join "anyone but Harper we suggest Jack" on facebook, just to show how much you hate Harper and his caveman policies!

If you feel bad about your party of choice losing the couple of bucks from your vote join the facebook group "anti Harper vote swap" and you can have someone vote for your party in an area where they are in second place, then in turn you vote for their party if you are in a riding where their party is in second place. This way we can defeat Harper, and still ensure that our own party of choice is not deprived of funds. Unite the left against Harper!!!

Oh also join "anyone but Harper we suggest Jack" on facebook, just to show how much you hate Harper and his caveman policies!

Elections Canada is looking into the legality of the vote swapping scheme. Hurry up and put in your bids before the sites are disallowed and taken down.

What does loyalty have to do with anything if you're undecided and don't support any particular party? I think lots of people out of a sense of self interest and self preservation or fear are just as likely voting against someone rather than for someone else.

What does loyalty have to do with anything if you're undecided and don't support any particular party? I think lots of people out of a sense of self interest and self preservation or fear are just as likely voting against someone rather than for someone else.

'Party loyalty' is just a con game.

Vote swapping is entirely legal. If Harper makes any effort to take the site down, there will be a huge outcry. The site on facebook went from 800 to 3800 members in a few days!

I see it as a way for us to take back control of our 'democracy' which has been deformed and mutilated by party politics.

If parties can no longer just target ridings to win an election, maybe they will instead give some thought to policies of substance, issues of importance to the people.

Remember: We just had an election in Ontario on an issue of importance to no one, a complete red herring to avoid any issues of real importance to the people.

I would and will vote for whichever party has the best chance to defeat the conservative in my area. If you feel bad about your party of choice losing the couple of bucks from your vote join the facebook group "anti Harper vote swap" and you can have someone vote for your party in an area where they are in second place, then in turn you vote for their party if you are in a riding where their party is in second place.
Is such a contract enforceable?

If one side fails to change their votem can the other side sue them for damages?

I think the NDP has at various times contemplated negotiating such an agreement with the Liberals (by not running candidates against each other). They've come to the conclusion that the Liberals wouldn't hold up their end of the bargain.

Nevertheless, Dion has achieved on a limited scale the same by not running a Liberal candidate against Elizabeth May.

Voters like to cast their ballot for the candidate of their choice and they like having alot of choice on the ballot.