Leadership

betsy

I may be just a wee bit biased here but, imho, the recent actions of both Dion and Layton don't show real leadership skills. Instead they are exhibiting that they're mere "followers."

Both are latching on trying to ride Obama's coat-tails, both spouting about "CHANGE". But I must say Layton really takes the cake...to the point of copy-catting the "rolled-sleeves style" of Barack. But lol, he even failed that!

It was funny the way the newsmen pointed out how phony it was: Jack saying "Oh I'm feeling the heat here. I need to take off my jacket." And he took off his jacket. His sleeves were already rolled!!! LOL!

Stephen's ad hit it on the nail. Leadership doesn't mean agreeing to about almost anything just to get along (the way the Liberals and NDP and Green are all getting panicky everytime we don't march to what the UN or the the other world leaders want us to do). As I've pointed out in the past, Harper took a stand supporting Bush in Iraq at the start of the war even though it meant political suicide; and standing up to and getting France and another nation (forgot which one) to bend to his will instead by insisting that Israel victims be recognized alongside Lebanon. And being a newbie Prime Minister at that. Now, that's a leader.

Edited by betsy

and standing up to and getting France and another nation (forgot which one) to bend to his will instead by insisting that Israel victims be recognized alongside Lebanon.

This isn't leadership--it's caving in to special interest groups and a desperate attempt to woo support from a small but financially and political demographic. It's a classic example of how Harper does not put Canada and Canadians first. And what should we expect from a American-style republican with western seperatist tendancies?

trying to ride Obama's coat-tails, both spouting about "CHANGE". But I must say Layton really takes the cake...to the point of copy-catting the "rolled-sleeves style" of Barack. But lol, he even failed that!

It was funny the way the newsmen pointed out how phony it was: Jack saying "Oh I'm feeling the heat here. I need to take off my jacket." And he took off his jacket. His sleeves were already rolled!!! LOL!

Sure, his whole speech is taken straight from Obama's notes:

"We need Change!", "You Have To Believe!", "Change You Can Believe In!", "Do You Believe In Change?", "Kill Whitey!"

:lol:

This isn't leadership--it's caving in to special interest groups and a desperate attempt to woo support from a small but financially and political demographic.

Nice to see Green Party supporters seem to mimic one another.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...NStory/National

I'm still wondering why some people are so opposed to Canada standing up for Israeli victims of suicide bombers.

It's a classic example of how Harper does not put Canada and Canadians first.

By supporting a liberal democracy in the Middle East. How awful.

And what should we expect from a American-style republican with western seperatist tendancies?

It so far is preferable to the anti-Americans who keep on sprouting their "ecological" values while thinking that the Prime Minister should pay lip service to the Jewish community.

Nice to see Green Party supporters seem to mimic one another.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...NStory/National

I'm still wondering why some people are so opposed to Canada standing up for Israeli victims of suicide bombers.

By supporting a liberal democracy in the Middle East. How awful.

It so far is preferable to the anti-Americans who keep on sprouting their "ecological" values while thinking that the Prime Minister should pay lip service to the Jewish community.

In a true democracy why would anyone want their leaders to tell them what the issues are and how to solve them. True leadership IMO involves listening skills and solicits consensus to understand and solve major problems. This election may just prove the change we have been asking for. I also think that Dion has some stuff up his sleeve that will materialize once the gauntlet is thrown down tomorrow.

You could have said the same thing about Harper's use of Sarah Palin's hockey-parent shtick.

They're all as equally phoney as three dollar bills.

Harper has been a hockey supporter for a long long time. If you read, watch or listen to the news you would know that. And he is a hockey dad, even as Prime minister he still finds time to get to his son's games. So he did'ny copy anybody.

You could have said the same thing about Harper's use of Sarah Palin's hockey-parent shtick.

They're all as equally phoney as three dollar bills.

I have my calendar open ready to mark the day you don't say something stupid.

Google "Harper hockey"

He;s been a hockey fan from before Palen was govenor, and he's either finished or finishing a book on hockey...

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2006/04/14/...ckey060414.html

Harper even knows what priority hockey should be given.

http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Controversy_fo...for_hockey_game

I have my calendar open ready to mark the day you don't say something stupid.

Google "Harper hockey"

He;s been a hockey fan from before Palen was govenor, and he's either finished or finishing a book on hockey...

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2006/04/14/...ckey060414.html

Harper even knows what priority hockey should be given.

http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Controversy_fo...for_hockey_game

CBC has even used Harper for commentary during the playoffs. He's the only Prime Minister I've ever seen who actually knows what he's talking about when it comes to hockey. Remember whenever they tried to talk to Martin about hockey? AWKWARD!!!!

Layton is talking about change? He must be copying Obama! If Layton's copying Obama's message then why not say that Harper is copying Palin? It's just as accurate. Do you really think Obama is the first politician to talk about change? Every opposition party runs on some form of that message - we need to change the government. Harper's done it before himself.

To this quote "Leadership doesn't mean agreeing to about almost anything just to get along" I'd have to respond that leadership also doesn't mean agreeing or disagreeing to about almost anything just to be different. It's easy to support a war that most people in your country disagree with when you aren't PM. We'll never know what would've happened if Harper had been PM at the time. And heaven forbid that we work with the international community and other countries.

Harper's no different than any of the other politicians. When a vote came up on an important issue facing Canada he skipped out to watch a hockey game so he could avoid taking a stand. He likes accountability but he just doesn't like being accountable to Canadians through the media or by letting his MPs talk to anyone. Improved accountability is probably also the reason behind Conservative roadblocks in committees. He likes fixed elections dates but not when there's an advantage to just calling an election when he wants. Stronach should never have switched parties but its fine for Emerson. Etc.

Harper has the same leadership skills as all the other party leaders - the ability to twist yourself into whatever you think will keep you in power longest.

I hate the way he uses this "roll up the sleves" look. He is trying to come off as a working man. But you never know, he may jump over Dion and become the offical opposition...

Stephen's ad hit it on the nail. Leadership doesn't mean agreeing to about almost anything just to get along (the way the Liberals and NDP and Green are all getting panicky everytime we don't march to what the UN or the the other world leaders want us to do). As I've pointed out in the past, Harper took a stand supporting Bush in Iraq at the start of the war even though it meant political suicide; and standing up to and getting France and another nation (forgot which one) to bend to his will instead by insisting that Israel victims be recognized alongside Lebanon. And being a newbie Prime Minister at that. Now, that's a leader.

I agree, Harper is the best leader Canada has had in a long long time. His leadership at the UN realy puts Canada front and center, right where we should be. He speaks well, I can understand him and relate. I think Harper has a very good understanding where Canada is heading.

X for Harper.

His "leadership" put Canada front and center all right. We were criticised by many different nations for breaking our word.

That's exactly what I'm trying to say! The other parties are more worried about being criticized by other world leaders - most of whom comprised of dictators and corrupt tyrants with their own agenda! That's not leadership! That's an appeaser... a mollifyer... a push-over....a spineless follower!

A real leader listens....but he does not necessarily have to do what others suggest! A real leader makes his own decision on what he thinks is for the best interest of his country!

A real leader can....and WILL be able to get other world leaders to see it his way! Which Harper clearly demonstrated early on in his role as Prime Minister who stood up for the Israel victims to be recognized alongside Lebanese victims!

Do you see any of these opposition leaders having the balls to do that?? Of course not! The other leaders are all validation-seekers! They are afraid to decide without someone to validate their decisions....afraid to make any major move without someone or something to lay the blame on in case something goes wrong.

A real leader does not crave for a constant "pat on the backs" and hollow praises mostly coming from leaders who have their hands out for financial aids!

A real leader takes risks for the right reason!

That is not "right where we should be".

I prefer a leader who makes us stand out in the world community for astuteness and credibility for in the long run, our opinion will weigh more! We are one of the G7. We are a major player on the world stage! Let's perform like one.

This isn't leadership--it's caving in to special interest groups and a desperate attempt to woo support from a small but financially and political demographic. It's a classic example of how Harper does not put Canada and Canadians first. And what should we expect from a American-style republican with western seperatist tendancies?

Are you afraid to say the word "Jews"?

I don't suppose it might have occurred to you that Harper might quite naturally have more sympathy for a western-style democracy than with a dictatorial government which advocates terrorism?

His "leadership" put Canada front and center all right. We were criticised by many different nations for breaking our word. That is not "right where we should be".

If you're talking about Kyoto, it was Chretien who broke his word.

If you're talking about Kyoto, it was Chretien who broke his word.

And if they were talking about Kyoto, Harper did not take us out of Kyoto - he simply and honestly said that Canada was unable to meet the targets that were naively agreed to by Chretien. Canada still participates in Kyoto and may yet be able to provide "bridge" leadership to motivate the ideology-driven Kyoto process to join with the more pragmatic Asia Pacific Partnership (APP) that includes Australia, Japan, China, India, the USA and South Korea. Harper has a track record of being a quiet, behind-the-scenes leader - willing to accomplish objectives and not worry about who gets the credit. The APP has more potential for cleaner energy plans and long term GHG reduction for the planet that the self-serving 1990 baseline Kyoto.

Article on Asia Pacific Partnership: http://www.mondaq.com/article.asp?articleid=41040

Edited by Keepitsimple