Your Favorite Aircraft

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Japanese planes were all cleverly converted from T-6 Texan/Harvards and BT-13 Valiants. Used to see them doing the airshow rounds back during the 70s and early 80s.

"Pearl Harbor" sucked...Japanese planes sounded like dirt-bikes...and that's just the first of many complaints.

-------------------------------------------

Before we're through with them, the Japanese language will be spoken only in hell.

---Admiral Halsey

The Japanese planes were all cleverly converted from T-6 Texan/Harvards and BT-13 Valiants. Used to see them doing the airshow rounds back during the 70s and early 80s.

You must be talking about Pearl Harbour as I really don't recall any Japanese planes in The Battle Of Britain.

If you are then I agree whole heartedly, Pearl Harbour sucked the big one. That Ben Afleck is just such an outstanding actor. (That was sarcasm.)

You must be talking about Pearl Harbour as I really don't recall any Japanese planes in The Battle Of Britain.

If you are then I agree whole heartedly, Pearl Harbour sucked the big one. That Ben Afleck is just such an outstanding actor. (That was sarcasm.)

:lol::lol: Mixing threads...ooops.

-----------------------

Damn-it!!!

---Homer Simpson

I miss you more then Michael Bay missed the mark

When he made Pearl Harbor

I miss you more than that movie missed the point

And that’s an awful lot girl

And now, now you’ve gone away

And all I’m trying to say is

Pearl Harbor sucked, and I miss you

I need u like Ben Affleck needs acting school

He was terrible in that film

I need u like Cuba Gooding needed a bigger part

He’s way better than Ben Affleck

And now all I can think about is your smile

and that shitty movie too

Pearl Harbor sucked and I miss you

Why does Michael Bay get to keep on making movies?

I guess Pearl Harbor sucked

Just a little bit more than I miss you

--Team America, World Police --

--Team America, World Police --

Now that was a side splitter, it never fails to make me laugh so hard I almost... well...you know.

The Matrix was okay but I'm not a huge Keanu fan, his acting is a bit too wooden for my taste.

My super duper special deluxe collectors edition of The Forbidden Planet should be in next week. Classic, the first appearance of Robbie The Robot, before Lost In Space.

"Tora Tora Tora" on the other hand was a fantastic movie. That's where the converted T-6's and BT-13's came from.

The Me109's and Heinkels in "Battle of Britain" were ex Spanish airforce, Ironically re-engined with Merlin's when the original Daimler's became unavailable.

Edited by Wilber

Just watched it last night. The Spitfire was a really beautifull aircraft, greatly feared by the Luftwaffe.

Yeah. I have a buddy who knows a thing or two about airplanes and he has a huge picture of a Spitfire in his basement rec room (the little lady would not let him put it in the living room). Maybe he's biased because he served in the RAF, but he's such a cynical git, I doubt loyalty has anything to do with his admiration for the Spitfire.

As for my fav aircraft...

Business Class on the Upper deck of a 747 trans-Atlantic or Trans-Pacific. Newer planes might have better amenities but the flight crew treated you differently. I used to love Air France. So insouciant. On one flight I woke up to hear we were about to arrive in Paris, and could we please fasten our seatbelts. I caught the attention of the flight attendant, and I asked, "M'mselle, pas de petit dejeuner?" "Oh m'sieur. On a vole trop vite pour le p'tit dejeuner." I had slept through the breakfast service and she didn't want to wake me. 'We flew too fast for breakfast'. I love it.

Edited by HisSelf

Next up: HisSelf's conquest of the Himalayas complete with Sherpa guides.

"Little lady"??

:lol:

There is precious little in civilization to appeal to a Yeti.

---Sir Edmund Hillary

Edited by DogOnPorch

• 2 weeks later...

World's largest helicopter: Mi-12 'Homer'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mil_Mi-12

OK...First I'll access the secret military spy satelite that is in geosynchronous orbit over the midwest. Then I'll ID the limo by the vanity plate "MR. BIGGG" and get his approximate position. Then I'll reposition the transmission dish on the remote truck to 17.32 degrees east, hit WESTAR 4 over the Atlantic, bounce the signal back into the aerosphere up to COMSAT 6, beam it back to SATCOM 2 transmitter number 137 and down on the dish on the back of Mr. Big's limo...It's almost too easy.

---Garth: 'Wayne's World'

Has anyone mentioned this one yet? The Camel.

The Original Dogfigter

I've always associated this aircraft with the Spitfire for some reason. Difficult to fly but very manouverable, fast with a fast rate of climb, good dive capabilities, not the most heavily armed but very effective with what it had.

Lets not forget the German equivalent, the D VII Albatross. She was a plane ahead of her time, sleek, powerfull and deadly. What I find quite telling is the fact that even with advanced Aircraft like the D VII Germany was never able to take control of the air.

DVIII, Sleek and Beautifull

When I was a kid growing up (like thats happened yet!) one of the old planes that most fascinated me was the Focker Triplane. It looked odd but it worked so well. Those triple wings gave it an edge in areas like clinb rate, and dive. Also manouverability and surviveability. Here's a beautifull example, it's a model though. Hard to find original triplanes now.

Focker

Anyway, these are some of my favourite planes.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So hideous its beautiful, the Tupolev 95 (Bear). Perhaps most admirable, is the simplicity of the design. Sure its often mocked as backwards due to its turbo-prop design, but why bother with jet engines, which at the time were expensive, inefficient, required massive maintenance times, and were thus compromised in their ability to be serviced in less than ideal (i.e. true battle) conditions.

Also, for a while, I lived quite close to the Airbus plant in Toulouse, which was a treat since I got to see the A-380 far more often than most. Though in my first week there, I will never forget seeing this monstrosity, aptly nicknamed the "Beluga". For a second, I thought the "invasion has begun".

Yeah the old Stuka was a good aircraft in the early part of the war and was largely responsible for early German success!

The Nazi's were brilliant at propaganda. The stuka was a propaganda tool as well as they were fitted with those whistles to make that sound to strike fear into the enemy.

Yes, but like the Me/Bf-110, it (Ju-87) simply couldn't stand up to effective single-seat fighter tactics like the RAF used in 1940. It ended up still being rather effective in Russia where the air war was closer to that of WW1's in its nature. The tank buster version in particular...

The Hs-129 attempted to replace the Ju-87, but never did get to huge production numbers. The Ju-88 was, remarkably, another great dive bomber amoungst other roles.

---------------------------------------------------------

It is better that one's customers come to one's shop than to have to look for them abroad.

---Baron Manfred von Richthofen

Remember these? Sure you do.

----------------------------------------------------

It ain't easy being green...

---Kermit the Frog

Sure do, they were my "gateway drug" when I was a kid, countless hours of fun winding up the rubber band for a short flight.

From there I went to Balsa and tissue models then on to the tethered planes that had little Cox glow plug engines and flew in circles around you.

Finally I moved on to remote control planes, my last one was a Stuka with a 60" wing span, I gave it to a friend for his little boy.