Bernier Resigns

Really Topaz? You don't like Stephen Harper?

I never would have guessed that from your extensive posts saying exactly the same thing. :rolleyes:

Bernier's gone. He was a f*ckup. Couillard will go back to the trailer she crawled out of. Harper learned his lesson.

This entire issue could end up being a blessing in disguise.

A re-invigorated cabinet could put the kinder, gentler face on cabinet many people feel is needed.....

To answer your question, I don't like Harper as PM and I know alot of people that feel the same way and only an election will show if more people feel the way I do.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess mischaracterization can stretch from poll results ......

No disputing the latest Nanos poll numbers as they pertain to Tory fortunes in Quebec. The Bloc has surged back to 40% with Conservatives now running neck and neck with the Liberals at about half that. This Bernier business, bearing in mind his appointment was a prominent sop to the province, should serve to place Harper and company comfortably in third place - just ahead of the NDP.

Seems like only weeks ago that you and other august right wingers were savoring a forthcoming Quebec sweep. What happened?

It was just a matter of time before the CPC knives came out on Bernier.

He has resigned, to save further embarrassment.

This goofball, dupe, absent minded minister of affairs (foreign) :P will be back in the CPC arms, with hugs and kisses in a year and a bit.

Because the CPC needs this character and his seat, more then he needs them. Regardless of his incompetence.

I find it interesting, that while we question the integrity of the "travelling Companion" with recent biker ties, who managed to gain access to Berniers documents (and return them too), that she may have something to do with

"airport" security.

With associations to the mob, outlaw bikers, and political ministers, is there more here then meets the eye.............candy.

I guess when one knows the government is totally incompetent when it comes to security, one would reduce one's argument to how prominent top-of-the-page coverage of their inability to govern is.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f196/bub...ley/bernier.jpg

The story was featured on both CNN and MSNBC in their latest story category as well as their zipper during the evening news. It was featured on BBC's opening page last night and now leads their Americas section as you have shown. I am just waiting to watch the BBC World News in the next hour to see what their take on things is.

I'm sure our allies are going to be asking if Canada is secure when the Foreign Affairs minister and the prime minister are so cavalier in regards to security.

I watch BBC World News every day on the treadmill and there was no mention of this story this morning.

You're just making stuff up again.

It is on BBC's opening webpage even now and has been there since last night. I haven't seen BBC World report yet, have you? It is on about an hour here.

I wonder too if Harper had just had enough of Bernier.

It is rumoured that every Minister provides a signed, undated letter of resignation the day they are appointed. Maybe Harper just decided it was time to open his desk drawer and get it out.

He went from showing Bernier some love in the morning to hate in the afternoon?

No disputing the latest Nanos poll numbers as they pertain to Tory fortunes in Quebec. The Bloc has surged back to 40% with Conservatives now running neck and neck with the Liberals at about half that. This Bernier business, bearing in mind his appointment was a prominent sop to the province, should serve to place Harper and company comfortably in third place - just ahead of the NDP.

Seems like only weeks ago that you and other august right wingers were savoring a forthcoming Quebec sweep. What happened?

It would appear that the Tory ministers are far too junior to take on major responsibilities.

I think some folks are so busy being partisan in attacking Harper that they are missing the more likely explanation, that Harper just wanted to dump Bernier!

The reason Harper is on his heels is because he dismissed security concerns in regards to Bernier's girlfriend. It is evident she had unprecedented access.

It would appear that the Tory ministers are far too junior to take on major responsibilities.

I agree and that's the problem with his government most of them are generation "X" and they have never held office before in gov't and I wonder why he never selected some of the older Cons?

I agree and that's the problem with his government most of them are generation "X" and they have never held office before in gov't and I wonder why he never selected some of the older Cons?

The majority of the 'older' or more experienced MPs are from SK, AB and BC.

It was a matter of geographic representation and not wanting to have a Western Canada heavy cabinet.

There are a good five or six MPs from Alberta alone who arguable have the experience to serve in cabinet but aren't full ministers at the moment. (Ablonczy, Hawn, Jaffer, Kenney, Rajotte.)

Could you imagine the howls from central Canada with eight? nine? ten? Albertans in cabinet?

This is a huge loss of face for Canada on the diplomatic stage. Canadian diplomats will now have to go cap in hand with briefing notes to our NATO allies (not to mention Afghanistan) and explain this whole sorry mess. It will not be lost on those allies that Bernier was not only a rookie cabniet minister, but also a rookie MP. A very bad choice by Harper for such a critical position.

The more I see of Julie Couillard, the more I have to ask myself, "What is this broad's angle?". The news clip I saw of her had her emoting over national security, which is I suppose why she tried to extract $50K out of the Toronto Star (according to Rex Murphy) for her story. This is an opportunist with some sort of agenda.

Edited by HisSelf

It was a matter of geographic representation and not wanting to have a Western Canada heavy cabinet.

There are a good five or six MPs from Alberta alone who arguable have the experience to serve in cabinet but aren't full ministers at the moment. (Ablonczy, Hawn, Jaffer, Kenney, Rajotte.)

Could you imagine the howls from central Canada with eight? nine? ten? Albertans in cabinet?

No howl, just a collective "I knew it!"

This is a huge loss of face for Canada on the diplomatic stage. Canadian diplomats will now have to go cap in hand with briefing notes to our NATO allies (not to mention Afghanistan) and explain this whole sorry mess. It will not be lost on those allies that Bernier was not only a rookie cabniet minister, but also a rookie MP. A very bad choice by Harper for such a critical position.

I agree. It is tabloid fodder across the globe. Which we knew it was going to be. If they had dealt with the situation immediately, alot of this other stuff, like Bernier leaving behind the brief in the home of a travelling companion. would never have been known.

The more I see of Julie Couillard, the more I have to ask myself, "What is this broad's angle?". The news clip I saw of her had her emoting over national security, which is I suppose why she tried to extract $50K out of the Toronto Star (according to Rex Murphy) for her story. This is an opportunist with some sort of agenda.

She is an interesting person. Not the Trailer Trash as alluded to.

Long history of connections to the underworld and outlaw bikers.

Last boyfriend, tied to the Outlaw bikers, OWNS a SECURITY COMPANY, seeking contracts with Airports.

She claims that her ALARM system was bypassed and her home BUGGED.

BY WHOM?

CSIS< RCMP or HELLS ANGELS?

All with capabilities of doing such an activity.

She came out confident on the interview. She was careful and guarded in her wording. She is a realestate salesperson who claims she can no longer sell homes, because of the publicity.

I would think she could sell alot of homes. I just wouldn't take her advice on whose alarm system to install. ;)

She has done well. Meetings with George Bush, Stephen Harper etc. She actually appears more competent then Bernier and she is sticking it to him about the document. Was this BLACKMAIL?

More questions then answers. I don't think this is over yet, because of her background.

The background many posters here were defending, as irrellavent and not anyones business.

After all, he was becoming an embarrassment. So we get the story of Bernier leaving secret documents at his girlfriend's home.

Doesn't anyone else find it interesting that SHE was the one supposedly concerned over the security aspects when she found the documents that Bernier had left? That she immediately turned them in?

It makes her look more responsible than Bernier!

There's some ironic justice in making the girlfriend the one who did the right thing, as compensation for her being dragged through the mud by those attacking Bernier and Harper.

Those are observations I tend to concurr with. Of course, sometimes it is claimed she wasn't his girlfriend at the time of him leaving behind the documents. I wonder why he didn't go back and get them. Maybe they had a tiff, or there was a price. Maybe she did feel he was a Rich incompetent duffus and had had enough of his arrogance.

But on the surface, it does appear that she was more responsible then Bernier. She even contacted legal advice on how to return the document.

She appears like a pro......

You think? I couldnt caree less where they are from as long as they are good at what they do, the statement, like many before it, rings of paranoia from the west.

How odd you say that in replying directly to WDW? stating how he would complain about it if it happened.

But the demeaning 'paranoid' comment is appreciated. :rolleyes:

(Jaffer)

Is that the guy that uses impersonators to represent him? Boy, I could just imagine the trouble he would get into if he held a cabinet portfolio. Hardly fit to be an MP let alone a minister.

The only difference between Jaffer and Bernier, is that Bernier will likely be able to hold his seat under any circumstance, and Jaffer faces nailbiters each election.

This isn't about just the competency of Bernier and his "geographical" region. This came about because of the inexperienced administration that pretends to do things differently, not reading the situation correctly, not seeing the RED FLAGS being waved in their faces, and then allowing the opposition and then the media to carry the story and develop it, only to discover that they haven't got the spin to hide the

grossly incompetent minister,

or the spin to , create her persona as a

marginalized woman from the trailer park.

She appears to be a mover and shaker with connections, connections to the CPC.

The only difference between Jaffer and Bernier, is that Bernier will likely be able to hold his seat under any circumstance, and Jaffer faces nailbiters each election.

Nail biters? Please define.

In Jaffer's first race in 1997 he won a real 'nail biter'. Won by 2,951 votes and 5.9% of the vote.

In the three elections since he has won on average by more than 5,100 votes and 9.9% of the vote.

Really hurts the credibility when your posts are so disjointed from reality.

The reason Harper is on his heels is because he dismissed security concerns in regards to Bernier's girlfriend. It is evident she had unprecedented access.

Unprecedented? Didn't the last acting Liberal prime minster used to take documents with him when he went to visit male prostitutes?

Nail biters? Please define.

In Jaffer's first race in 1997 he won a real 'nail biter'. Won by 2,951 votes and 5.9% of the vote.

In the three elections since he has won on average by more than 5,100 votes and 9.9% of the vote.

Really hurts the credibility when your posts are so disjointed from reality.

Margins this small in Alberta are Nailbiters.

5% certainly qualifies as a Nailbiter under any circumstances.

Look at Guergis in ONTARIO between the two elections.

She won by 100 Votes in a NAILBITER in 2004.

She won by over 12,000 votes in 2006, 19%, over her nearest competitor.

His electoral success is because of the Party strength.

Feel free to defend Jaffer and his electoral successes to your hearts content. His is a long standing MP.

Didn't he have someone impersonate him?

Now Bernier is a different story. The Bernier Name is stronger then the CPC name in his riding.

But Bernier and Jaffer deserve seats beside one another on the back bench.

Unprecedented? Didn't the last acting Liberal prime minster used to take documents with him when he went to visit male prostitutes?

Quibbling about a word? Bernier has stepped down. The contact with OUTLAW bikers and the questions raised about Bugs being planted need to be addressed.

Edited by madmax

Margins this small in Alberta are Nailbiters.

5% certainly qualifies as a Nailbiter under any circumstances.

10% margins a nailbiter? Oh that's right. Because the riding is in Alberta? wtf does that mean? CPC candidates run up huge pluralities up here. Sure it's 'close' for an Alberta riding, but the outcome was never in doubt on election night. Therefore no nailbiter.

Quit kidding yourself.

The Libs and NDP have no chance of taking this riding. They have both convinced themselves they have a chance and will neatly divide the left-of-centre vote.